Trump advisers' space plan: To moon, Mars and beyond

Started by jimmy olsen, February 21, 2017, 10:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2017, 09:34:14 AM
I thought we were starting a game of trading cliches. :(

In order to start that again you will have to stop the previous round where you speak in cliches.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on February 23, 2017, 09:39:35 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2017, 09:34:14 AM
I thought we were starting a game of trading cliches. :(

In order to start that again you will have to stop the previous round where you speak in cliches.

Oh, have we just moved on to random sentences? I'm game.

"I'm so sorry, but when a white boy disrespects you, you punch him in the fucking face."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2017, 10:27:48 AM

"I'm so sorry, but when a white boy disrespects you, you punch him in the fucking face."

Race violence :o
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on February 23, 2017, 10:39:19 AM

I wonder if she'll be brought up on inciting racial hatred though I'm not sure if her statement was made in UK, just the punch she threw.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Interesting game.

"Faux black people make pathetic bullies."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on February 23, 2017, 11:17:08 AM

Interesting game.

"Faux black people make pathetic bullies."

I think she's actually black. :unsure:

"He couldn't become a distant memory soon enough to suit her."

HVC

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2017, 10:45:52 AM

"I’m so sorry, but when a white boy disrespects you, you punch him in the fucking face."

I wonder if she'll be brought up on inciting racial hatred though I'm not sure if her statement was made in UK, just the punch she threw.

had to look that story up. is Abigail a racist term? :unsure:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 23, 2017, 05:49:00 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 22, 2017, 05:59:28 PM
The deposits are worth trillions of dollars. It's absolutely worth it.

As soon as you pull just one gold asteroid down from space, it's going to become too abundant to still be worth trillions.

If they bring the asteroid down from space, the mass destruction that would cause might keep the value somewhat stable.   :P

But even if we were to measure the value of an asteroid in the trillions...the cost of transport/retrieval of the mining infrastructure needed to operate in deep space, and return the ore to Earth in a safe manner, is way too prohibitive to be cost effective for quite some time.

dps

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 24, 2017, 05:20:00 AM

But even if we were to measure the value of an asteroid in the trillions...the cost of transport/retrieval of the mining infrastructure needed to operate in deep space, and return the ore to Earth in a safe manner, is way too prohibitive to be cost effective for quite some time.

Yes, and that was the information Garbon was trying to get.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on February 23, 2017, 11:45:52 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2017, 10:45:52 AM

"I’m so sorry, but when a white boy disrespects you, you punch him in the fucking face."

had to look that story up. is Abigail a racist term? :unsure:

Well she didn't say he was being racist.

garbon

Quote from: dps on February 24, 2017, 05:45:01 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 24, 2017, 05:20:00 AM

Yes, and that was the information Garbon was trying to get.

Well, in truth, I was largely asking in a rhetorical manner, but yeah. -_-

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

While watching this I realized the factor that will make or break the habitability of these worlds is the density of the worlds. Of the three in the habitable zone, only the third is dense enough to form a magnetosphere to protect it from the star's flares. It's far enough from the star, that it's atmosphere will have to be quite thick to be warm enough, but it's a possibility.

EDIT: Actually, I just thought a way around this. These planets are getting pulled on by the gravity of their neighbors in similar ways to the Galilean moons. Hopefully it's enough for their interiors to heat up enough that they have a molten iron core, and not so hot that they're a volcanic hellscape like Io.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftgIr0_tDvs
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Only grumbler will live to see our space colonies.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?