Trump advisers' space plan: To moon, Mars and beyond

Started by jimmy olsen, February 21, 2017, 10:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on February 22, 2017, 11:12:47 PM
Ok. So we need gravity, composition of the atmosphere, and water content. Get on that space researchers.

BTW did some Walloon, Michael Gillon, find this thing? Was the Euro Space guys or was it NASA? Or some combination of the two?

Because the planets are close enough to gravitationally tug on each other, scientists have been able to calculate their mass, and since they know the diameter due to the transits, they will know the gravitiy.

Watch the NASA video. It's NASA and the Belgians.

They will know in a few years whether it's atmosphere has oxygen and methane, because it's close enough to study with Spitzer, Hubble and the JW space telescope.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on February 22, 2017, 07:26:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 22, 2017, 05:42:45 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 22, 2017, 05:20:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 22, 2017, 08:59:24 AM
Have we actually identified anything that, with current or near future tech, would be economically viable to transport back from space?
Near earth asteroids hold astronomical amounts of valuable metals and minerals. Rare Earths, platinum and gold in particular.

I guess that's an inventive way of not answering the question.

It would shorten the whole process if you'd just say what answer you want, rather than just moaning each time you don't get it.  ;)

I asked a question about tech, it wasn't answered.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

This is the second time in recent years a 'earth like planet in the habitable zone' has been discovered around a red dwarf.

Now.
1: I wish the media would stop saying earth like planet when they only mean a terrestrial planet.
2: According to the science fiction canon I have in my head....a habitable world around a red dwarf should not be possible. In Frontier Elite such things were very rare. IIRC the issue was that you had to get so close to the star to get enough energy from it that the radiation would be deadly. Also that many of these stars are prone to flares.
Has something changed in science to dismiss this? Or was sci-fi knowingly wrong all along?
██████
██████
██████

Archy

I was a bit suspicious bt the name, Trappist, so first thought it was a joke, till I saw the university of Liege was involved. I wonder wat we'll find in the Gueuze, Lambic, Pale Ale, Old Brown and Stella Artois systems.  :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: LaCroix on February 22, 2017, 06:33:21 PM
our species is dead without a huge effort to explore space. even if it's all show, if trump gets us interested in space again, that's all that matters. trump's personality makes him actually likely to get really into space. pragmatists caring about trade deals killed space exploration for decades

50 years is chump change in the lifetime of the species.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 22, 2017, 05:59:28 PM
The deposits are worth trillions of dollars. It's absolutely worth it.

As soon as you pull just one gold asteroid down from space, it's going to become too abundant to still be worth trillions.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PJL

Well it could still be worth trillions, but the resulting inflation will make everything else worth millions.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 23, 2017, 05:49:00 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 22, 2017, 05:59:28 PM
The deposits are worth trillions of dollars. It's absolutely worth it.

As soon as you pull just one gold asteroid down from space, it's going to become too abundant to still be worth trillions.

Aluminum used to be more valuable than platinum, however once they figured out how to mass produce it become far more economically important, despite the fact that the value per gram plunged.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2017, 02:36:11 AM

If the answer you get isn't satisfying, ask a follow-up question rather than attacking the person attempting to answer.  You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 23, 2017, 07:07:32 AM
Aluminum used to be more valuable than platinum, however once they figured out how to mass produce it become far more economically important, despite the fact that the value per gram plunged.

Aluminum has never been more valuable than platinum, as it has far fewer unique uses.  You are correct, though, to note that price and value are not the same thing, even if your wording is incorrect.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on February 23, 2017, 07:19:08 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2017, 02:36:11 AM

If the answer you get isn't satisfying, ask a follow-up question rather than attacking the person attempting to answer.  You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

I guess it takes one to know one.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Archy on February 23, 2017, 02:50:28 AM
I was a bit suspicious bt the name, Trappist, so first thought it was a joke, till I saw the university of Liege was involved. I wonder wat we'll find in the Gueuze, Lambic, Pale Ale, Old Brown and Stella Artois systems.  :)

It's a very quiet star, only communicating in hand signals.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2017, 08:04:05 AM

:lol:  Okay, I'll pretend I am back in the third grade and so think this response is clever.

Bayraktar!

Archy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2017, 09:02:03 AM
Quote from: Archy on February 23, 2017, 02:50:28 AM

It's a very quiet star, only communicating in hand signals.
well played :D

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on February 23, 2017, 09:13:08 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 23, 2017, 08:04:05 AM

:lol:  Okay, I'll pretend I am back in the third grade and so think this response is clever.

I thought we were starting a game of trading cliches. :(