Baseball 2017 Season Thread

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 23, 2017, 05:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Clearly didn't miss out on much today.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Sorry, Bluto.  Did what I could.

Yankees are in town tomorrow.  Might head down to see how big a mofo that Judge kid is.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Aroldis Chapman really choked tonight.  He got ahead early on just about every batter he faced, but the Cubs batters were patient and picked him apart. And then he hit Rizzo on his first pitch to him, tying up the game :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

And an MLB record 44 total strikeouts in this Cubs-Yankees game.  Top of the 17th and I'm staying up as long as it takes.

Sophie Scholl

Right there with you.  Damn.  Game reminded me of World War I.  Also, pitchers hitting is stupid.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

derspiess

Thank God it didn't go past 18, because I was ready to bail :D

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 08, 2017, 01:37:38 AM
Right there with you.  Damn.  Game reminded me of World War I.  Also, pitchers hitting is stupid.

Game did turn out to be a advertisement of the DH
What better way to end an epic 18 inning game, then with the home team threatening, 2 men on, and 2 out, and sending up a .105 hitting pitcher to bat as a pinch hitter?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Keep your DH in your AL, pal.  I like having pitchers hit.

And (not directed at anyone here) I'm getting tired of people whining about extra innings games.  They are what they are-- embrace the chaos.  We don't want ties in baseball, nor any "automatic runner at 2nd base" shenanigans.

Valmy

Changing baseball will upset baseball fans and do nothing for people who do not like baseball. It is what it is and has been for the past 40 years.

I know how painful extra innings can be. I sat through a 25 inning marathon between UT and Boston College back in 2009. Have you ever been to an eight hour sporting event? It is surreal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Btw, I was in the little shop for game-used memorabilia inside Great American Ballpark during yesterday's game and they had the visiting locker Arrieta used before and after his no-hitter.  No price was posted-- just a note to contact the Reds if interested.  I can see the ball, hat, jersey, etc. carrying a lot of value, but the locker?  I'm sure some fool will prove me wrong.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: derspiess on May 08, 2017, 01:17:40 PM
Keep your DH in your AL, pal.  I like having pitchers hit automatic outs.

And (not directed at anyone here) I'm getting tired of people whining about extra innings games.  They are what they are-- embrace the chaos.  We don't want ties in baseball, nor any "automatic runner at 2nd base" shenanigans.
Fixed that for you.  There aren't enough Bumgarners to use "pitcher" and "hit" together and make it not a joke.  I do however enjoy extra innings baseball.  It adds some nice tension.  A whole series of 9th innings in a row.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Minsky Moment

OK but
last night (this morning's) game did not show the practice in its best light, to say the least.
2 outs 1 run down Bryant gets a key hit, Rizzo coming up, fans on their feet.
Oh wait, Cubs are long out of PH and the pitcher slot is after Rizzo.
So . . . game over.  Talk about anti-climax

Anyways - how did the Judge 3-bagger look?  Even the hits that stay in the park are monsters.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 08, 2017, 01:34:32 PM
Fixed that for you.  There aren't enough Bumgarners to use "pitcher" and "hit" together and make it not a joke.  I do however enjoy extra innings baseball.  It adds some nice tension.  A whole series of 9th innings in a row.

It's fun when they do hit, though.  Remember Colon's HR last year??  And Wainwright's value as a batter has been way better than his value as pitcher so far in 2017.  Also, just seeing Cueto having to squeeze a batting helmet over his braids is worth the price of admission.

Barrister

There's actually a long history of ties in baseball, since before outdoor lighting games would routinely have to be called because of darkness.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/but-its-tradition-is-no-reason-to-ban-ties-games-in-mlb/

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Ties happen they just do not get counted in the standings. But the game stats count for the players. They usually happen because of weather.

Sometimes they get replayed if those games turnout to matter.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."