And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2017 Season Thread

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 23, 2017, 05:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 08, 2017, 01:42:44 PM
OK but
last night (this morning's) game did not show the practice in its best light, to say the least.
2 outs 1 run down Bryant gets a key hit, Rizzo coming up, fans on their feet.
Oh wait, Cubs are long out of PH and the pitcher slot is after Rizzo.
So . . . game over.  Talk about anti-climax

Meh.  I was happy :P

QuoteAnyways - how did the Judge 3-bagger look?  Even the hits that stay in the park are monsters.

That was the one at-bat of his I missed.  And apparently they subbed him out (double switch?) before it went into extra innings.  Can't wait to see him in person tonight, though.  Going to try and get there when gates open because that's when the visiting team usually takes batting practice, but I have a feeling the Yanks might skip it today since they had a late night and had to travel.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on May 08, 2017, 01:45:54 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 08, 2017, 01:17:40 PM
Keep your DH in your AL, pal.  I like having pitchers hit.

And (not directed at anyone here) I'm getting tired of people whining about extra innings games.  They are what they are-- embrace the chaos.  We don't want ties in baseball, nor any "automatic runner at 2nd base" shenanigans.

There's actually a long history of ties in baseball, since before outdoor lighting games would routinely have to be called because of darkness.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/but-its-tradition-is-no-reason-to-ban-ties-games-in-mlb/

Wonder what his beef is with the new intentional walk rule?  That one I'm sort of okay with.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Designated Hitting Dies in Darkness

derspiess

Fun game tonight at GABP.  Seemed like as many Yankees fans as Reds fans, which was expected.  Got to see probably the last Matt Holliday HR I'll ever see in person.  Bummer that Judge didn't play.

Also I think the Reds may have adjusted their batting practice schedule.  Both yesterday and today by the time the gates opened they were just finishing up with BP.  Through last year you could often catch at least 30-45 minutes of it if you got in when gates opened.

derspiess

And speaking of pitchers batting, Carlos Martinez went 2 for 3 last night with a double, 4 RBI and 1 run scored.  And he's starting to pitch a bit better-- thank God he got rid of those ridiculous extensions.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on May 08, 2017, 10:31:51 PM
Fun game tonight at GABP.  Seemed like as many Yankees fans as Reds fans, which was expected.  Got to see probably the last Matt Holliday HR I'll ever see in person.  Bummer that Judge didn't play.

3-3 from Sanchez though, still probably the better prospect.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Yeah, but I wanted to see this in person:

The Minsky Moment

Strat-o-matic just launched a new app for iOS and Android.  It's a full set of Start cards for every team and every year of MLB going back to the 1870s, plus Negro League teams for certain years, plus the Japanese Leagues since 2013.  Lots of search functionality built in as well.  They plan to put it all behind a pay wall but its free access for the next week.  Spent the last hour playing around.  Fave so far Pedro 2000, he was so good he almost broke their system - there are no hits for LHB.  Also checked out my favorite Strat team -1982 Orioles - filled with wild platoon splits.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 23, 2017, 09:38:03 PM
Also checked out my favorite Strat team -1982 Orioles - filled with wild platoon splits.

Fucking Brewers.   :mad: An even worse final series than Toronto in '89.

Ed Anger

I want a Earl Weaver base stealing game.

PRESS A TO KICK DIRT ON THE UMP!
THE UMP IS ENRAGED!
PRESS Z TO TAKE SECOND BASE!
THE CROWD ROARS IN APPROVAL!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 23, 2017, 10:08:17 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 23, 2017, 09:38:03 PM
Also checked out my favorite Strat team -1982 Orioles - filled with wild platoon splits.

Fucking Brewers.   :mad: An even worse final series than Toronto in '89.

I was a bit young but thought the end of the 1982 season was pretty good.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 23, 2017, 10:11:32 PM
I want a Earl Weaver base stealing game.

PRESS A TO KICK DIRT ON THE UMP!
THE UMP IS ENRAGED!
PRESS Z TO TAKE SECOND BASE!
THE CROWD ROARS IN APPROVAL!

What you're looking for is the Earl Weaver and Cal Ripken Sr DWI Action Set.  Watch Earl urinate on a trooper's State Police car tire! (MSP patrol car sold separately)

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Yeah. But you don't get the good fortune of playing a bunch of retirees in the World Series very often. Joe Morgan got his Social Security check with his World Series pay.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."