News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2017 Season Thread

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 23, 2017, 05:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

As long as they have an owner that refuses to spend money on players that only play once every 5 days, they will be the best free agency farm team in the AL.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

NL Central is getting interesting.  Just two games separate first place from last. And the Cardinals have figured out how to eke put a few wins.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Gotta brag on my kid here. Two games into the season with his Brewers team, he's leading the league with 13 strikeouts in 4.1 innings pitched. He's allowed 4 runs but none earned-- his team is terrible in the field.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

How many pitches can he throw?  Is it all fastball at that age?

derspiess

For 9 & 10 year olds, they can supposedly throw up to 75 pitches, but then they need like 5 days rest.  There's a chart somewhere showing pitch count & corresponding required days rest for different ages.  The league rules may be different.  75 pitches seems really excessive to me.

I have Tommy throwing fastballs-- a set pattern of two four-seam fast balls, one two-seam fastball, two four-seam, and so on.  Same pattern until he gets to a point where he can make his own pitch selection.  I am going to have him add a changeup into that mix when I can get him throwing that reliably over the plate.  I don't have him throwing any junk and won't for the foreseeable future.  That said, his four seam fastball can have a little bit of movement and behaves as if it were a cutter about half the time. 

At this level all you really need to do to get strikeouts is throw strikes 50-60% of the time with some decent velocity.

Valmy

In a shocking turn of events Red Sox fans are assholes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on May 02, 2017, 07:32:29 PM
In a shocking turn of events Red Sox fans are assholes.

All Boston sports fans are assholes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

No shit. Bostonians being Bostonians. People are directing a lot of ire at the Red Sox organization, though. What can they do? It's not their fault people in that city are assholes.

Valmy

Man I am glad that series is over. Less drama when the Os play the other Sox.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Meh, piss on the Red Sox.  Don't want Machado to hit home runs?  Don't fucking throw them.

Fuck them and their racist fans.  They're all butthurt because their season is going to suck a bag of Yastrzemski dicks.

katmai

When do the Niners start preseason....
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

I'm still with you, El Guapo. I'm going to tonight's and tomorrow's game to cheer on Los Gigantes.

katmai

Well the bullpen hasn't been any better that horrid performance of las season and the rotation besides Cain is not looking much hotter.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

I didn't go tonight. But Cueto's pitching tomorrow and I plan to be there for that.