News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2017 Season Thread

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 23, 2017, 05:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

Blue Jays lose their first two games.  Season is a write off.

derspiess

Quote from: PRC on April 06, 2017, 05:28:23 PM
Blue Jays lose their first two games.  Season is a write off.

And it's gotten worse.  Yikes.  I watched the game vs. the O's last night.  If Bautista and Tulowitzki don't get it together this team will continue to have problems.  And Donaldson getting hurt again-- ouch.

Reds fans have been all full of themselves on Facebook about the team's impressive start (best MLB record before last night).  It's great to see people in this town excited about baseball, but none of their lazy asses will get down to the ballpark and watch a game.  Attendance last night was 13,574. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

I wish I had volunteered to coach on Tommy's Brewers team.  They have a Middle Eastern kid on the team that is playing his first year.  Poor little dude doesn't know what he's doing, and just keeps getting pelted with the ball when he tries to field it.  The coaches really need to pull him and maybe one or two other kids aside during practice and help them develop basic fielding skills.

It's painfully obvious that few kids on the team ever pick up a bat or glove outside of practice or a game.  There also seems to be a trend where many kids are playing soccer as their main sport-- during baseball season no less-- with baseball a secondary pursuit.  Ugh. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Why don't you offer to coach him up one on one?

I tried to teach this poor Irish kid how to catch a football in 5th grade.  Dude would just close his eyes and flap his arms.  Smack right in the gob every time.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 14, 2017, 04:04:33 PM

I might.  The kid seems a little mouthy though.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on April 14, 2017, 05:14:07 PM

Fuck that.  Let him burn.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 14, 2017, 05:20:52 PM

Fuck that.  Let him burn.

I would like to help.  But I'm conflicted.  And my coaching style-- I tend to yell a lot.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: derspiess on March 31, 2017, 10:39:35 AM
That said, I'm looking into possibly getting up to Cleveland for a game or two.  Are you making a pilgrimage this year?
Booked the room.  Now I need tickets.  May 12th, 13th, and 14th.  Three game set against the Twins including a Dollar Dog Night, t-shirt give away night, and kid's fun day.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 14, 2017, 04:04:33 PM

I bet he has a tiny suicide vest
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 14, 2017, 05:45:48 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 31, 2017, 10:39:35 AM
That said, I'm looking into possibly getting up to Cleveland for a game or two.  Are you making a pilgrimage this year?
Booked the room.  Now I need tickets.  May 12th, 13th, and 14th.  Three game set against the Twins including a Dollar Dog Night, t-shirt give away night, and kid's fun day.

Let me take a look at that weekend.  Tommy has a game that Saturday, but either Friday or Sunday seems possible at this point.

derspiess

Tommy had his first game of the season with his regular team yesterday.  They got blown out, 10-0.  Run-ruled in the 4th inning.  Tommy walked in both his plate appearances, and for pitching he struck out 5 and walked 2 in two innings.  No hits or runs allowed.

But nobody else on his team seems to care; neither the coaches or players.  Tommy and I got there an hour early so I could pitch him some batting practice. The other team had all their kids and coaches there about 40-45 minutes before the game.  Tommy was the only one on his team there until 20 minutes before game time. 

His team will be lucky to win a game this year.  Hopefully the experience will at least help me convince him to join a select or knothole team next year.  I'd much rather him be "just another kid" on a good team than the best player on a bad team.

Valmy

Machado is having a slow start yet the Orioles have won 9 of 13 so far. A good sign.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 20, 2017, 12:07:21 PM
Shut up, Meg.

Hey man I am all the way over there and sometimes I am out of touch. What is eating you about this season? The usual hatred of the cheap management?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."