News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2017 Season Thread

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 23, 2017, 05:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on December 13, 2017, 08:55:19 AM
Just glad the Cards won't have to face him next year.  Sorry about your O's, though :(

Potshots from 1998 aren't really potshots anymore, derniggerhater.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on December 12, 2017, 03:22:54 PM
Stanton is an injury issue guy as well. 

True - he's been in the league 8 years, but played 120 games or more only 4 of those 8 years.  For the Yankees it's really a hedge - if they get 1.5 seasons of production between the two it's worth it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

I had my San Francisco Giants jacket on the other day when I picked my Five Guys order up.

The burger guy started trying to talk to me about the Giants, which is odd given that very few people around here give a shit about MLB (YEW KAY and YEW VELL is all they follow).

I smiled politely, turned my back on him, and left.

I know fuck all about the Giants. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Heh.  When we were in San Fracisco many years ago it was raining (quite a shocker I know).  I ducked into a store to buy a hat, and got a Giants ball cap.  At the airport to come home someone started talking to me about the Giants.  I had to smile and nod because I, too, know fuck all about the Giants.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Guys, if you're going to bandwagon a SF team, shouldn't it be the Niners?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 13, 2017, 03:26:10 PM
Guys, if you're going to bandwagon a SF team, shouldn't it be the Niners?

I bought it because it was raining.  I didn't care that much about the logo on the front.

derspiess

:rolleyes: It's your responsibility to learn at least a little bit about a team before you buy apparel.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on December 13, 2017, 04:54:43 PM
:rolleyes: It's your responsibility to learn at least a little bit about a team before you buy apparel.

:( Guess I really shouldn't have bought that Yomiuri Giants baseball cap then.

katmai

Ewww Caliga And Jets fanboi with Giants gear.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

My brother is getting me an Atlanta United sweatshirt for Christmas and I barely know what sport they play. :yeah:

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on December 13, 2017, 05:02:51 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 13, 2017, 04:54:43 PM

:( Guess I really shouldn't have bought that Yomiuri Giants baseball cap then.

You have a hole in your swing.

jimmy olsen

Darvish was tipping his pitches

https://deadspin.com/report-yu-darvish-tipped-his-pitches-in-the-world-seri-1821216289

QuoteAccording to a Houston player, the Astros often knew what Darvish was about to throw by the way he brought the ball into his glove in the set position. (Darvish pitches exclusively out of the stretch.) The player said it worked like this: Darvish holds the ball at his side when he gets the sign from the catcher. Whether he re-grips or not as he brings the ball into his glove was the tip-off whether he was going to throw a slider/cutter or a fastball.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Did we have a baseball thread this year? Or last year?

I just want to say that I think that wild card teams winning the world series is illegitimate and discredits the entire season.

My point of view is that the reason teams play 162 games is because baseball is fundamentally a random sport--as someone (inaccurately) said, when you start the season, you know the best team will lose 60 games and the worst team will win 60 games. It is what happens in those other 40 games that makes all the difference.

The nationals didn't win their division. They weren't the best team in the division, but results in a 1, 5, or 7 game series are a lot more random. I find it annoying that I'm supposed to follow a season for 162 games only to see the result overturned in a short series (I'd definitely bet on the dodgers over the nationals in a rematch, but in a 5 game series anything can happen...).

Also, the world series has been permanently diminished by interleague play, which was primarily introduced because it generated excitement for a few seasons as fans got to see the other league. Ie--baseball compromised one of its greatest assets for short term profit. God bless America.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014