News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2017 Season Thread

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 23, 2017, 05:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Roy Hallady has died in a plane crash :(
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on November 07, 2017, 08:47:54 PM
Roy Hallady has died in a plane crash :(

Man those private planes.

RIP you were a great one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Judge and Stanton in the same line up... :bleeding::bleeding::bleeding:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-much-should-we-fear-giancarlo-stanton-in-pinstripes/
QuoteIf you use The Baseball Gauge's adjustment and extrapolate Stanton's 2017 homers to a typical park, he'd project to have hit about 66 homers — easily shattering Maris's mark. What's more, Yankee Stadium ranked as the third-most-favorable park in baseball for right-handed home run hitters last season. Continuing our exercise above to project Stanton's season into Yankee Stadium, he would figure to have hit around 73 homers (!!!) if he'd played in the Bronx instead of Miami. Now, the obvious caveats apply: Park factors are imperfect measurements that don't account for each park's exact dimensions, instead inferring the effect in a somewhat noisy way by looking at the change in home runs between a team's home and road games. But even so, Stanton is probably going to get some kind of assist in his power numbers simply by upgrading his park situation.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Barrister

Out of the blue, Timmy asks if he could play baseball next year.

I say "well, it's the same time as soccer, so you couldn't play soccer then".  He loves soccer.

He says that's okay.

I have no idea where this is coming from.  Yesterday he asked to play catch, which we delightfully did a couple of times in the summer - but playing catch in the middle of December was just plain creepy.

Is 8 years old too old to start playing baseball?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on December 10, 2017, 10:41:47 PM

He isn't looking to become an olympic gymnast.

8 is fine if he's in good shape and coordinated. 

Hell, every year you see a couple of guys make it to the NBA or the NFL and you hear that they'd never played until they were 15. I doubt baseball is any different.

1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on December 10, 2017, 10:41:47 PM

Weird question, but hey, never had kids so what the fuck do I know.

Barrister

I just want to emphasize that playing catch in the snow in the middle December was really creepy. :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

dps

Little League starts at age 9, but they have other programs for younger children.  Generally, 4 and 5 year olds just play T-ball, and then move into programs where they hit actual pitched ball at ages 6-8.  So yeah, 8 isn't necessarily too young, but I have no idea what programs are available where you live.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on December 10, 2017, 11:12:18 PM
I just want to emphasize that playing catch in the snow in the middle December was really creepy. :contract:

Yet you'd think nothing of putting metal blades on your feet to walk on a frozen lake.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?