News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2017 Season Thread

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 23, 2017, 05:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 24, 2017, 07:16:36 PM
Tough shit.  Everybody gets grief for performance enhancing drugs, yet guys like Raines get a pass for doing more coke than Tony Montana.  Fuck that.

Amalie Benjamin has the best answer to this. How do you put someone in the Hall that was suspended by Baseball for PEDs over someone who wasn't?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 26, 2017, 08:35:57 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 24, 2017, 07:16:36 PM
Tough shit.  Everybody gets grief for performance enhancing drugs, yet guys like Raines get a pass for doing more coke than Tony Montana.  Fuck that.

Amalie Benjamin has the best answer to this. How do you put someone in the Hall that was suspended by Baseball for PEDs over someone who wasn't?

For the same reason one person is always put in over another - they were a better player.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

So Grapefruit & Cactus Leagues are wrapping up.  I plan to continue my tradition of partaking in Opening Day festivities but not going to the game. 

Cardinals had an excellent Spring Training but that means exactly jack squat; my prediction is for them to give the Cubs a run for their money but fade down the stretch and not win the division.  I'm signed up for another year of mlb.tv so they better not nosedive.  I promise to deliver fresh weekly offerings to the Cards Pitcher Health Shrine I have set up in my office.

Tommy moved up to the next Little League level where it's 100% kid pitch and the mound is moved back a little.  His regular team is the Brewers, which I think means I can bring beer to his games.  They had their first practice yesterday and the team looked a little rough.  Unless there's significant improvement he may be stuck on another losing team.  Wish he had let me put him on the select team I had lined up for him.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

I am so excited for yet another decent season for Baltimore. We're not so bad! We're not so bad!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

It's two years removed from the World Series win, but I still like Kansas City's chances to at least make it into the dance again.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: derspiess on March 30, 2017, 11:38:38 AM
Tommy moved up to the next Little League level where it's 100% kid pitch and the mound is moved back a little.  His regular team is the Brewers, which I think means I can bring beer to his games.  They had their first practice yesterday and the team looked a little rough.  Unless there's significant improvement he may be stuck on another losing team.  Wish he had let me put him on the select team I had lined up for him.

Booo!  He should be on the Indians again!
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2017, 01:45:12 PM
I am so excited for yet another decent season for Baltimore. We're not so bad! We're not so bad!

:glare:

derspiess

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 30, 2017, 05:23:10 PM
Booo!  He should be on the Indians again!

He moved up.  The 7-8 year old level has AL teams, and now the 9-10 level has NL, plus an extra "Dragons" team for the kids not lucky enough to get on a team with an MLB name.

That said, I'm looking into possibly getting up to Cleveland for a game or two.  Are you making a pilgrimage this year?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 30, 2017, 05:44:09 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2017, 01:45:12 PM

:glare:

What?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: derspiess on March 31, 2017, 10:39:35 AM
He moved up.  The 7-8 year old level has AL teams, and now the 9-10 level has NL, plus an extra "Dragons" team for the kids not lucky enough to get on a team with an MLB name.

That said, I'm looking into possibly getting up to Cleveland for a game or two.  Are you making a pilgrimage this year?
Yeah, I plan on making at least one jaunt out to see a block of games.  I'm still working out when exactly.  I'll let you know.

You should enroll him in the Tribe Kids Club, aka TribeTown MVP's.  It'll save you money and give the potential for some awesome events if you go to a game with him.  http://mlb.mlb.com/cle/kids/tribetown_mvps/
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

Kinda amusing bit I read in the NYT Book Review.

Commissioner Happy Chandler asked Leo Durocher if he was friends with Bugsy Siegel.  Leo replied they were nodding acquaintances.  To which Happy responded, "Stop nodding."

derspiess

Tommy at bat last Sunday.  He swung at the first pitch and then walked the next couple times, so this is my only pic of him swinging.  He looks so tiny next to that catcher.  He's playing up a year on a 10U team and I think the other team may have been 11U.

Admiral Yi

He looks tiny in comparison to the ball.  :D

derspiess

:lol:  He is average height for his age, I swear.

CountDeMoney

Maybe you should hold him back so he can be more competitive with the bigger kids, for like 4 years or so.