News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2017 Season Thread

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 23, 2017, 05:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Very frustrating season.  I look at the standings and see the Royals are only 3 games back of a wild card spot.  That sounds like a very reasonable amount of games to make up.  But then I see that they'd have to leap over 5 other teams in order to make it into the wild card game, and you realize just how long those odds are.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

The Orioles are actually on a bit of a hotstreak. Good timing I have to say.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Barrister on September 06, 2017, 11:49:44 AM
Very frustrating season.  I look at the standings and see the Royals are only 3 games back of a wild card spot.  That sounds like a very reasonable amount of games to make up.  But then I see that they'd have to leap over 5 other teams in order to make it into the wild card game, and you realize just how long those odds are.
The worst part?  The Royals mortgaged being good for the next 5 to 8 years on winning this year.  Whoops.  Now they've emptied out parts of their system in trades and they didn't trade away any of their crew of top flight soon-to-be free agents for top prospects.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on September 06, 2017, 12:28:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 06, 2017, 11:49:44 AM
The worst part?  The Royals mortgaged being good for the next 5 to 8 years on winning this year.  Whoops.  Now they've emptied out parts of their system in trades and they didn't trade away any of their crew of top flight soon-to-be free agents for top prospects.

Meh - they were in a "win now" mode anyways, given the "top flight soon-to-be free agents" you mentioned.  And it didn't pay off.  Oh well.

They weren't going to be "good for the next 5 to 8 years" in any event.

Sophie Scholl

Sure they could have.  If they had traded off their big name free agents, they could have gotten a massive haul.  Throw in a few guys who won't be around by the time that new group would be ready in 2-3 years and you'd have a very solid rebuild.  As a Tribe fan, I'm thrilled that they went all in and busted.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote from: Valmy on September 06, 2017, 11:58:34 AM

And, of course, as soon as I start to feel good they get get stomped by the Cleveland Juggernaut.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2017, 09:20:00 PM

And, of course, as soon as I start to feel good they get get stomped by the Cleveland Juggernaut.
:showoff:

Sophie Scholl

22 in a row.  Wow.  What a run. :worthy:

Barrister

Valmy

Ugh. I wish the season ended today.

Admiral Yi

About time to start hitching up the Cubbies' bandwagon. :smoke:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2017, 09:20:00 PM

Pitching looked pretty ugly last two days
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on September 15, 2017, 11:12:51 PM
Ugh. I wish the season ended today.

It's been over for a while, O's Boy.  You just refuse to acknowledge it.