News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Whither Obamacare?

Started by Jacob, January 05, 2017, 01:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will the GOP do to Obamacare?

There will be much sturm und drang, but ultimately no concrete action will be taken. It'll still be Obamacare.
5 (13.2%)
They'll attempt to rebrand it and own it, changing a few details, but otherwise leaving it in place.
6 (15.8%)
They'll replace it with something terrific that provides better coverage and cheaper too for the populace.
2 (5.3%)
They'll repeal it without a replacement, leaving large number of Americans without coverage for a significant period of time, perhaps forever.
17 (44.7%)
They'll repeal it with a replacement that screws over some people, but still covers some people significantly and call that an improvement.
7 (18.4%)
Some other outcome.
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2017, 10:49:22 AM
I predict that they will utterly fail in this area simply because they have no plan. Which is astounding since they have had seven years to come up with one.

:lol: The plan was never to have a plan.  You know better than that.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 05, 2017, 10:54:39 AM
:lol: The plan was never to have a plan.  You know better than that.

Well right. It already succeeded as a political plan but I meant they would fail to actually do anything to help healthcare. In fact I suspect they will make the situation worse.

I mean if you care about that kind of thing. They don't.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Do it early enough, and everybody will forget by the time the midterms roll around.  Or be dead. Either or.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 05, 2017, 10:58:13 AM
Do it early enough, and everybody will forget by the time the midterms roll around.  Or be dead. Either or.

They will just talk about how much kids today suck. College Students are all out there doing stupid shit. So vote for us.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2017, 10:59:26 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 05, 2017, 10:58:13 AM

They will just talk about how much kids today suck. College Students are all out there doing stupid shit. So vote for us.

VOTE OLD WHITE PEOPLE!

That could apply to both parties.  :lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Teh blacks are out to get ya.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

apparently Ted Cruz found that stunt hilarious.

Grey Fox

I expect that the next 4 years will be highlighted by a congress that cannot get anything done.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

So the senate voted to repeal Obamacare: https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4641262/senate-votes-51-48-repeal-obamacare

Is this one last "let's repeal it before Trump is sworn in so it won't happen" hurrah, or is it a thing that'll go before the House of Representatives and then land on Trump's desk, so it might happen?

Razgovory

I fully expect to be told that the free market "replaces" Obamacare.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 05, 2017, 01:39:35 AM
Also, this article is written by a clown with no historical awareness.

(snip)

This is exactly how Henry Clay passed the Compromise of 1850. He broke it down into five different bills and had them passed seperately. Now, Paul Ryan sure as hell isn't half the Speaker Henry Clay was, but that's the argument the author should be making, not this particular strategy is ridiculous.

Also, this post was written by a clown with no historical awareness.

There is no parallel between the passage of the five elements of the Compromise of 1850 and what the Republicans propose to do.

All five elements of the Compromise were on the floor at the same time.  Clay and Douglas knew they couldn't get majority support from the three main parties for all of them at once, but could get the support of a (different) majority on each one.  So that's what they did.

There are not three disparate parties/blocs in the US congress right now, so claiming that the Clay/Douglas strategy would work (even if the Republicans actually had a plan to break down) is silly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2017, 10:49:22 AM
I predict that they will utterly fail in this area simply because they have no plan. Which is astounding since they have had seven years to come up with one.

I think that this is entirely correct.  the Republicans must repeal Obama care:  it was at the center of their platform.  However, they never promised to replace it with anything that would work, and so never planned any replacement.  They'll put a band-aid on like changing the requirements for medicare slightly, jump on an aircraft carrier, and declare Mission Accomplished.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on January 05, 2017, 03:06:41 PM
I think that this is entirely correct.  the Republicans must repeal Obama care:  it was at the center of their platform.  However, they never promised to replace it with anything that would work, and so never planned any replacement.  They'll put a band-aid on like changing the requirements for medicare slightly, jump on an aircraft carrier, and declare Mission Accomplished.

How does the current repeal vote that just passed the senate play into this?