News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Whither Obamacare?

Started by Jacob, January 05, 2017, 01:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will the GOP do to Obamacare?

There will be much sturm und drang, but ultimately no concrete action will be taken. It'll still be Obamacare.
5 (13.2%)
They'll attempt to rebrand it and own it, changing a few details, but otherwise leaving it in place.
6 (15.8%)
They'll replace it with something terrific that provides better coverage and cheaper too for the populace.
2 (5.3%)
They'll repeal it without a replacement, leaving large number of Americans without coverage for a significant period of time, perhaps forever.
17 (44.7%)
They'll repeal it with a replacement that screws over some people, but still covers some people significantly and call that an improvement.
7 (18.4%)
Some other outcome.
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Jacob

Before the GOP start actually governing with majorities in both houses and the presidency, what does languish expect to happen with health care?

Here's what I thought was a decent article on the options facing the GOP: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/01/repeal-and-delay-is-forever.html

jimmy olsen

Four or Five would seem the most likely outcomes. Voted five, they will replace it with something, almost certain to be much worse, but I think they will eventually replace it with something. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

They will repeal it and take away my Medicare to boot.  :mad:

That's my fear anyway. Bunch of Scrooges.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

jimmy olsen

Also, this article is written by a clown with no historical awareness.

QuoteSome Republicans appear to have convinced themselves they can muddle through the dilemma somehow. Congressional staffers tell Philip Klein, a staunch Obamacare critic, that they plan to repeal the law quickly, and then replace it not all at once but with a series of "legislative changes that could be enacted in a series of shorter bills ... for instance, one bill could theoretically be passed to address individuals with preexisting conditions." This plan is so laughably hopeless it's difficult to believe Republicans would attempt it. It's impossible to gauge the impact of one change to the health-care system without knowing what other changes will be enacted. None of the stakeholders in the health-care system is going to support any discrete changes that could dramatically alter their business models without knowing what other changes may or may not follow.

Preexisting conditions are an obvious example of this problem. If insurers will be required to provide below-cost plans to people with expensive medical needs, they need to know what other measures will be put in place to compensate them: Subsidies? Regulations on healthy customers? Hospitals need to know how many uninsured patients they should expect to show up in their emergency rooms. In particular, popular parts of health-care reform (like benefits people get) need to be attached to unpopular parts (like ways to pay for it). You can't address it in pieces. During the debate in Congress over health-care reform, Republicans ginned up a talking point about how reform should be done in small steps, but no serious person of any ideological perspective would construct a reform by passing

Blowing up Obamacare, and then bringing up a series of small bills in the hope that they add up to something decent is not a strategy. It's what Homer Simpson came up with when he faced a test he knew he couldn't pass. ("I've been working on a plan. During the exam, I'll hide under some coats, and hope that somehow everything will work out.")

This is exactly how Henry Clay passed the Compromise of 1850. He broke it down into five different bills and had them passed seperately. Now, Paul Ryan sure as hell isn't half the Speaker Henry Clay was, but that's the argument the author should be making, not this particular strategy is ridiculous.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 05, 2017, 01:39:35 AM
Also, this article is written by a clown with no historical awarness.

:bleeding:

Eddie Teach

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 05, 2017, 01:57:20 AM
Also, this article is written by a clown with no historical awarness.

:bleeding:
I missed a letter, big whoop, it's not the end of the world.

1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

They'll tweak it in ways that add significantly to the deficit, and then call it fixed.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Jacob

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 05, 2017, 02:00:18 AM
I missed a letter, big whoop, it's not the end of the world.

Neither is not referencing the actions of a politician in 1850 in the political context of 2017.

celedhring

They'll tweak it in ways that will screw people that need it, but that don't screw people that not need it, and declare it a victory.

LaCroix

whatever it is, they're not stripping away obamacare and leaving nothing left. I'm guessing rebrand with some minor changes and maybe a few major changes.

Valmy

This is exactly how Henry Clay passed the Compromise of 1850. He broke it down into five different bills and had them passed seperately. Now, Paul Ryan sure as hell isn't half the Speaker Henry Clay was, but that's the argument the author should be making, not this particular strategy is ridiculous.

That is how he passed it. It was originally designed as an entire package, each working together so it is not exactly like that at all.

And of course the Compromise of 1850 was a complete disaster.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I predict that they will utterly fail in this area simply because they have no plan. Which is astounding since they have had seven years to come up with one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."