And we're back!

Main Menu

2017 Fitness Thread

Started by mongers, December 21, 2016, 02:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: mongers on April 24, 2017, 07:17:18 PM
Yes, I made a typo, should have said it "wouldn't be a lot like".  :blush:

And by your description it sounds a lot harder too.

edit:
seems I exactly averaged 20km for my 4.5 hour trip yesterday on my hybrid bike, though that included some sections of off-road, which forced me a few times to walk due to the ruts and even carry the bike a couple of times.  :blush:

It's made for people who doesn't have 4.5 hours to go on a cycling trip but I wouldn't say it's harder than riding 100km it's just more intense. Also it's a great way to get on a bike in winter time, the rooms are packed from oct-apr and then almost empty the rest of the year.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 24, 2017, 07:24:25 PM
How were the poopers Fredo?  Or are you one of those guys who gets tunnel vision when with the squeeze?

If it's anything like in Copenhagen it's absolutely magnificent.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on April 24, 2017, 07:26:12 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 24, 2017, 07:17:18 PM
Yes, I made a typo, should have said it "wouldn't be a lot like".  :blush:

And by your description it sounds a lot harder too.

edit:
seems I exactly averaged 20km for my 4.5 hour trip yesterday on my hybrid bike, though that included some sections of off-road, which forced me a few times to walk due to the ruts and even carry the bike a couple of times.  :blush:

It's made for people who doesn't have 4.5 hours to go on a cycling trip but I wouldn't say it's harder than riding 100km it's just more intense. Also it's a great way to get on a bike in winter time, the rooms are packed from oct-apr and then almost empty the rest of the year.

Thanks for info, I'll pass, as I can't do intense any more, well intense anything actually.   :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 24, 2017, 07:24:25 PM
How were the poopers Fredo?  Or are you one of those guys who gets tunnel vision when with the squeeze?

To answer the second question first, absolutely not. To answer the first, I really didn't notice...the room was dark (it was a bit like exercising in a club), and I'm hypercompetitive so knowing scores would be on the board made me really focus on pushing super hard.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on April 24, 2017, 05:49:54 PM
15mph is a pretty good speed for longer distances, it's what I generally aim for, if and a big if, if there aren't many hills or off-road section where I'm going.

That is why I cited it...there is no way that me, a guy that doesn't cycle, can hop on a bike a crank out 20+ miles in 45 minutes while also doing some weight lifting for 5 of the minutes and climbing a bunch of hills. I wonder what rationale they use to come up with those numbers, and whether it is really better business to sell bikes that give data with no connection to reality.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on April 24, 2017, 02:05:17 PM
As a date idea, I went to a spin class with a girl who goes regularly

Does your gf know?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on April 24, 2017, 04:31:31 PM

Yeah, a guy on a train the other week was extolling the virtues of spinning, couldn't see the point of it, stuck in a hot confined smelly place with strangers.
I much preferred my 55-60 mile ride yesterday evening, sitting on a bike, breathing fresh air as pleasant scenery and wildlife passes by.

I've been doing it for 15 years, I try to get 2-3 hours a week in. I like it because it's a controlled environment so you can go all out without having to pay attention to your surroundings.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on April 25, 2017, 06:03:36 AM
Quote from: mongers on April 24, 2017, 04:31:31 PM

Yeah, a guy on a train the other week was extolling the virtues of spinning, couldn't see the point of it, stuck in a hot confined smelly place with strangers.
I much preferred my 55-60 mile ride yesterday evening, sitting on a bike, breathing fresh air as pleasant scenery and wildlife passes by.

I've been doing it for 15 years, I try to get 2-3 hours a week in. I like it because it's a controlled environment so you can go all out without having to pay attention to your surroundings.

Thanks, no doubt it works really well for fitness levels.

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on April 24, 2017, 08:45:50 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 24, 2017, 05:49:54 PM
15mph is a pretty good speed for longer distances, it's what I generally aim for, if and a big if, if there aren't many hills or off-road section where I'm going.

That is why I cited it...there is no way that me, a guy that doesn't cycle, can hop on a bike a crank out 20+ miles in 45 minutes while also doing some weight lifting for 5 of the minutes and climbing a bunch of hills. I wonder what rationale they use to come up with those numbers, and whether it is really better business to sell bikes that give data with no connection to reality.

I think the answer is blowing in the wind, the difference is the rider of these stationary bike doesn't face wind resistance iirc 15mph is the point were it becomes major resistive force above rolling and mechanical resistance.
And given it increases by the square, the difference between 15 and 30mph is four times greater, so without that it's no wonder you can drive the wheels so much faster in a controlled environment.

edit:
I found a link and a graph:

https://www.schwalbe.com/gb/rollwiderstand.html

Liep

What extra resistance does 8m/s headwind add? It feels like buttload.

mongers

Quote from: Liep on April 25, 2017, 08:27:28 AM
What extra resistance does 8m/s headwind add? It feels like buttload.

A lot, an awful lot, according to that graph about 220 watts.  :(

Have we discovered a downside to living in Denmark?  :P

Liep

It's been consistently blowing above 8m/s from west for two weeks now. :(

mongers

Quote from: Liep on April 25, 2017, 09:38:37 AM
It's been consistently blowing above 8m/s from west for two weeks now. :(

[Tim]

Just thing of all the green electricity that's being generated.  :cool:

[/Tim]

:P

merithyn

I'm down another seven pounds. That makes total weight loss from my highest 30 pounds so far. I have another 13-20 to go.

Trying to make sure that I walk 10,000 steps at least every other day. Limiting carbs to 35g/meal and 15g/snack, and going heavy on vegetables and fruits. Still struggling to get 1000 calories a day most days, but I'm no longer all that worried about it. I eat when I'm hungry, and only as much as I want. If I hit 1000, great. If I don't, meh.

Thigh master has been great for my arms, chest, and back. Riley showed me a great way to use it for core work, too, by laying on your back and raising your legs like you're sitting in a chair, and using the thigh master between your knees. Hard as hell, but a fantastic workout!

The other day Riley and I went shopping and on a lark I tried on a pair of size 8 jeans (size I wore in college, pre-kids) and they fit! Okay, so they were a little (*coughs*) tight, but I could button and zip them without much trouble at all. (They were tight on my legs... damn muscular calves and thighs...) Today, I'm wearing a dress that was my mom's. It's a size medium. Fits perfectly, except across the chest, which is a bit tight.

I haven't been this small in 15 years. Cannot WAIT for swimsuit season! :wub:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Liep

Ran my first 10k in a while today. Not fast and my legs feel like shit now, but it's done. Being able to run in a forest instead of the city is unbelievably motivating.