News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2017 Fitness Thread

Started by mongers, December 21, 2016, 02:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Late trains and major cancellations, meant I had no option but to cycle the 16-17 miles between Bristol and Bath this evening in under 1h 10 minutes, so it's official I'm knackered somewhat tired.   :(

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Went for the first run of the year yesterday. 4.5 km and I didn't feel that terrible afterwards.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: Liep on April 09, 2017, 12:08:54 PM
Went for the first run of the year yesterday. 4.5 km and I didn't feel that terrible afterwards.

Two runs and one cycling trip around the reserve along the ocean since moving last monday. Im liking my new place, no cars, no lights, lots of sheep.

I wanna go again today but its storming :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on April 11, 2017, 03:46:26 AM

Two runs and one cycling trip around the reserve along the ocean since moving last monday. Im liking my new place, no cars, no lights, lots of sheep.

:cool:

Sounds idyllic.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on April 11, 2017, 06:16:36 AM
Quote from: Liep on April 11, 2017, 03:46:26 AM

:cool:

Sounds idyllic.

Baaaaaah.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Have to take it easy on the dumbells - I hurt the muscle on my left shoulder blade bad, so it's giving me a sharp stab at certain movements.  :pinch:

Still walking, still dieting. 12.5 kg, or 27 lbs down. 28.5/63 still to go. :)

Taking the stairs to the sixt floor in our office only has me briefly out of breath these days.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

As a date idea, I went to a spin class with a girl who goes regularly. It is the most amazing business idea in a while. The class was $25 and lasted 45 minutes. It apparently normally sells out all the seats--it looked like there were about 40 or so. They must make so much money.

I will never go back--paying $25 to ride an exercise bike for 45 minutes is insane. But...it was so much fun. They track your score and put in on the board (if you want--you choose when signing up) at the end of the class. I was so satisfied--granted--only about 7 people put their names on the board and only one other guy--but I had a chance to win with about 5 minutes to go but then lost a minute because I was pushing super hard and my foot came unclipped from the pedal and I couldn't reclip for a while. I still finished in third (basically middle of the pack in a group of mostly women), but most importantly crushed my date. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on April 24, 2017, 02:05:17 PM
As a date idea, I went to a spin class with a girl who goes regularly. It is the most amazing business idea in a while. The class was $25 and lasted 45 minutes. It apparently normally sells out all the seats--it looked like there were about 40 or so. They must make so much money.

I will never go back--paying $25 to ride an exercise bike for 45 minutes is insane. But...it was so much fun. They track your score and put in on the board (if you want--you choose when signing up) at the end of the class. I was so satisfied--granted--only about 7 people put their names on the board and only one other guy--but I had a chance to win with about 5 minutes to go but then lost a minute because I was pushing super hard and my foot came unclipped from the pedal and I couldn't reclip for a while. I still finished in third (basically middle of the pack in a group of mostly women), but most importantly crushed my date. :)

Yeah, a guy on a train the other week was extolling the virtues of spinning, couldn't see the point of it, stuck in a hot confined smelly place with strangers.
I much preferred my 55-60 mile ride yesterday evening, sitting on a bike, breathing fresh air as pleasant scenery and wildlife passes by.

alfred russel

It definitely wasn't smelly, or hot. It was a nice place, as I think it should be for $25. You can get a month long gym membership for that, which will have exercise bikes.

They are totally into ego boosting. They told me I rode 21.7 miles. In 45 minutes, some of which we were lifting light weights rather than really riding, and with lots of simulated hills. There is zero chance that happened. I haven't ridden a bike in a long long time, but I really doubt I could do better than 15 in an hour.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on April 24, 2017, 04:37:09 PM
It definitely wasn't smelly, or hot. It was a nice place, as I think it should be for $25. You can get a month long gym membership for that, which will have exercise bikes.

They are totally into ego boosting. They told me I rode 21.7 miles. In 45 minutes, some of which we were lifting light weights rather than really riding, and with lots of simulated hills. There is zero chance that happened. I haven't ridden a bike in a long long time, but I really doubt I could do better than 15 in an hour.

Oh that doesn't sound so bad, but still not for me.

I'd be interested to have a go on one of those machines one day, I suspect it would be a lot like real cycling.   :P

15mph is a pretty good speed for longer distances, it's what I generally aim for, if and a big if, if there aren't many hills or off-road section where I'm going.

Liep

Quote from: mongers on April 24, 2017, 05:49:54 PM
I'd be interested to have a go on one of those machines one day, I suspect it would be a lot like real cycling.   :P

15mph is a pretty good speed for longer distances, it's what I generally aim for, if and a big if, if there aren't many hills or off-road section where I'm going.

You'd be wrong. It's very different from real cycling unless you encounter steep hills every 10 minutes and decide to sprint in the flat between them. Also, blissfully windless. It's fun and good exercise and I'd do it more if it wasn't so expensive

15mph is a really good speed and one I could keep on my lighter aluminium bike. I struggle to maintain 20km/h average on my steel tourer though and if there's any wind it's lower.

mongers

Quote from: Liep on April 24, 2017, 07:06:22 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 24, 2017, 05:49:54 PM

You'd be wrong. It's very different from real cycling unless you encounter steep hills every 10 minutes and decide to sprint in the flat between them. Also, blissfully windless. It's fun and good exercise and I'd do it more if it wasn't so expensive

15mph is a really good speed and one I could keep on my lighter aluminium bike. I struggle to maintain 20km/h average on my steel tourer though and if there's any wind it's lower.

Yes, I made a typo, should have said it "wouldn't be a lot like".  :blush:

And by your description it sounds a lot harder too.

edit:
seems I exactly averaged 20km for my 4.5 hour trip yesterday on my hybrid bike, though that included some sections of off-road, which forced me a few times to walk due to the ruts and even carry the bike a couple of times.  :blush:

Admiral Yi

How were the poopers Fredo?  Or are you one of those guys who gets tunnel vision when with the squeeze?