News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2017 Fitness Thread

Started by mongers, December 21, 2016, 02:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: alfred russel on February 13, 2017, 09:24:07 AM
You don't look nearly so large, unless you have put on weight recently. I think you carry it well (not that you shouldn't lose the extra weight though).

Thanks. I have a pretty big gut, and thick legs and Popeye-like forearms, but I distribute it somewhat evenly. Still, I feel the weight, and the belly is in the way more often than not. I'm also somewhat big-boned (my head especially, had to wait three weeks for my helmet during military service) which helps a bit.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

All right, I'll post.

Things are looking better for me.
My headaches are manageable.  I still have a lot of them, nearly constant, but I can mostly live with it.  It gets tiring at times, I had to cut down on some activities, but I'm feeling better, and we now found the problem, I mean, the main cause of my headaches, but it's just a lot harder to fix than I had anticipated, and not having any help from my doctor is still a little depressing, but the new osteopath I'm seeing has done wonders with me.  And she's extremely pretty too...  :perv:   just too bad she's already taken :(

Anyhow, while my old doctor was convinced everything bad with me was due to my (over)weight, this new one is simply convinced everything bad with me is due to arthritis.  In both case, that was and still is ridiculous.  I'm fat because I'm sick, I'm not sick because I'm fat.  And arthritis... please.  My ex gf and her mom had this, I know what kind of pains it causes, what alleviate the pains, what does not.  I'm no doctor, but I know a very minor case of arthritis (kinda normal for a man in his 40s with multiple accidents) is not what's causing my headaches and my loss of strenght in my left arm.

Anyhow.  With the help of the new osteopath (also a kinesiologist), I've started training again, a very modest training, much more modest than the exercices my former kinesiologist had me do.  So far, I do stretching exercices for my (twisted) ankle, for my arm and neck, and 10+minutes of bike every 2 days, without any resistance on the bike.  I could do more in early december, but then I got a silly cold, and I'm left coughing and having difficulties breathing since mid-december, and apparently, this time, it's not my asthma.  Some unknown reasons that prevents me from fully exercising myself and constantly coughing.

I also have stomach problems, for which the remedy was apparently the fat surgery (they cut a piece of my stomach, the same thing they do for obese people), according to my doctor and the surgeon at the local hospital.  So I agreeed, reluctancly, to enroll into this program.  However, according to nurse in charge in the program, it is likely that the surgery would increase my stomach pains, I will need to discuss this aspect my case with the specialized surgeon later this year before proceeding.  Wonderful.

Anyway. Since the pains are problematic and no medications fully help, I had to reduce my coffee intake, nearly cut all alcohol drinking, eat a lot less (and apparently, I don't eat enough now... fucking nutriotinists, I'm begining to wonder if it's a real science or if they're just making stuff up as they go), avoid spicy and greasy food as much as possible.  So, wonders, I have lost a little over 40 lbs since last July and had to change clothes&belt twice since.  At least, there's something positive from all this.

While things do look bad for a normal individual, in my case, it's a lot of progress.  Same time last year, it was a struggle to reach 40hrs work in a week, I could barely walk without having immense pain in my right leg and lower back, doing any kind of training resulted in headaches getting worst and occurence of dizzyness.  All of this is nearly gone.  So, 2017 should be good me on the health department.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Still doing a monthly dumbbell workout (now on 4 cycles, up from 3, and I consider upping the weights). Still careful about what I eat, and still walking to and from work each day.

Lost 3kg over the past 2 weeks. 32 more to go.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

Quote from: Syt on February 28, 2017, 11:13:41 AM
Still doing a monthly dumbbell workout (now on 4 cycles, up from 3, and I consider upping the weights). Still careful about what I eat, and still walking to and from work each day.

Lost 3kg over the past 2 weeks. 32 more to go.

:cool:

Sounds good; I think slow but steady progress is the way to tackle these things.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Spoke over lunch with our CEO yesterday. He's been struggling to maintain a fit physique for many years and we've seen him grow/shrink a fair bit over the time I've been with the company. Part of it is, of course, that he's traveling a lot, gets invited for dinner/drinks by business friends etc.

He recommends intermittent fasting. Which is basically a fancy way of saying to skip one meal (well, there's several models but he recommends the most common one - skipping breakfast and limiting meals to an 8 hour period, e.g. between 12pm and 8pm or whatever period is most convenient).

I'm currently on a regime of ca. 600 kcal per meal, 3x a day. The struffle is finding recipes that fall into the category, are quick to make, and that leave me sated. Putting the 1800 kcal into two meals, or two meals and a few fruit/veg snacks would make that a lot easier (i.e. cooking dinner in the evening, eating leftovers for lunch the next day etc.), or allowing a smaller meal for lunch and the occasional bigger meal for dinner.

I will give it a try over the next week, starting today, and see how I feel next Friday. Today has been fine so far. Just had a tall coffee and water for breakfast; lunch is about 3 hours away.
—Stephen Jay Gould

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on March 03, 2017, 03:21:38 AM

He recommends intermittent fasting. Which is basically a fancy way of saying to skip one meal (well, there's several models but he recommends the most common one - skipping breakfast and limiting meals to an 8 hour period, e.g. between 12pm and 8pm or whatever period is most convenient).

That sounds awful and counterproductive. I understand your body adjusts to hunger by slowing metabolism and causing you to want to eat more at the next meal to prepare for the lean times.

I'm a big believer on eating whenever you are hungry, and ideally never getting hungry, but not binge eating, limiting sugar intake, and focusing on healthier foods.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on March 03, 2017, 07:47:38 AM

That sounds awful and counterproductive. I understand your body adjusts to hunger by slowing metabolism and causing you to want to eat more at the next meal to prepare for the lean times.

I'm a big believer on eating whenever you are hungry, and ideally never getting hungry, but not binge eating, limiting sugar intake, and focusing on healthier foods.
That's sounds like a much easier method than mine, which is to eat whatever my wife cooks, and then just spend more time in the gym.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

My understanding is that it takes a few days of crimping on calories to trigger that body response. If you take in enough calories throughout the day you should be fine.

Again, I will give it a try if it works for me, schedule-wise, and if I find after a week that it's rubbish I'll go back to my previous rhythm.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

I mean this is what I do to, but you and I have never been significantly overweight at any point either.  There's not much point in our giving weight loss advice.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I tried the intermittent fasting for two days and then gave up, because the cravings were really bad.

Still sticking to my revised diet (1600-1800 kcal a day, with an avg. of 1700-1800 per week, allowing for a cheat day). More salad, less meat. I've eaten bread yesterday for the first time in a month or so. :hmm: (It's not like I avoid it intentionally, but in the morning I have musli and eggs, in the evenings mostly salads.)

Doing my workout three days a week; upped the weight to 12.5 kg (25 pounds) per dumbell last week.  :showoff: It hurts.  :blush:

Also still walking my 5k daily (to and from work) and take the stairs when I can (which is ca. 5-6 floors in our building).

Down almost 10kg by now, with ca. 30kg still planned to reach my target of 95kg.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on March 28, 2017, 02:51:54 AM
I tried the intermittent fasting for two days and then gave up, because the cravings were really bad.

Still sticking to my revised diet (1600-1800 kcal a day, with an avg. of 1700-1800 per week, allowing for a cheat day). More salad, less meat. I've eaten bread yesterday for the first time in a month or so. :hmm: (It's not like I avoid it intentionally, but in the morning I have musli and eggs, in the evenings mostly salads.)

Doing my workout three days a week; upped the weight to 12.5 kg (25 pounds) per dumbell last week.  :showoff: It hurts.  :blush:

Also still walking my 5k daily (to and from work) and take the stairs when I can (which is ca. 5-6 floors in our building).

Down almost 10kg by now, with ca. 30kg still planned to reach my target of 95kg.

Nice going  :cool:

Tonitrus

Quote from: PDH on February 09, 2017, 09:43:29 PM
I bike up a 350 foot hill every day to get to work.

How many calories does ogling coeds burn?

Maladict

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 28, 2017, 06:27:13 AM
Quote from: PDH on February 09, 2017, 09:43:29 PM
I bike up a 350 foot hill every day to get to work.

How many calories does ogling coeds burn?

Fewer than they burn while moving away from you. :P

merithyn

I've started tracking my calories/food again, but mostly to make sure that I'm eating enough. I also ordered a desk bike peddler that I can use while I'm working at my desk.

Oh, and a thigh master. :perv:

Down 20 pounds with another 16-21 more to go.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...