News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2017 Fitness Thread

Started by mongers, December 21, 2016, 02:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: saskganesh on February 09, 2017, 07:47:54 PM
You live in Austria. How about something more fun, like skiing or hiking?

I have zero interest in skiing. Not only is the closest skiing area over an hour away (and it's not even a proper mountain), but it's also pretty expensive between lessons, equipment, and ski passes.

Hiking is more interesting, and there's a few trails in and aorund Vienna. But again, if you want to do it properly, you would want to go to Carinthia, the Salzburg area, or Tyrol, which is each 2-3 hours away. It's certainly on my list for when I can walk the 2.5km to and from work without being a sweaty mess. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Sign up for a spinning class and stare at spandex wrapped poopers while you burn calories.  :)

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2017, 04:14:16 AM
Sign up for a spinning class and stare at spandex wrapped poopers while you burn calories.  :)

:yes:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

saskganesh

Yi has it right. You have to do exercise that you can enjoy.  :showoff:
humans were created in their own image

mongers

Girding up the loins to go out on the bike in 3-4C and strong continental Easterlies, wish me luck.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on February 12, 2017, 10:10:52 AM
Girding up the loins to go out on the bike in 3-4C and strong continental Easterlies, wish me luck.  :(

That is an odd post to follow sasks immediately above yours.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Syt on February 10, 2017, 02:55:44 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on February 09, 2017, 07:47:54 PM
You live in Austria. How about something more fun, like skiing or hiking?

I have zero interest in skiing. Not only is the closest skiing area over an hour away (and it's not even a proper mountain), but it's also pretty expensive between lessons, equipment, and ski passes.

Hiking is more interesting, and there's a few trails in and aorund Vienna. But again, if you want to do it properly, you would want to go to Carinthia, the Salzburg area, or Tyrol, which is each 2-3 hours away. It's certainly on my list for when I can walk the 2.5km to and from work without being a sweaty mess. :P

Syt, the regular readers of this thread are probably tired of reading me say similar things, but in case you hadn't been reading, I think setting a goal is easier than just "working out" an hour or something. If you don't have a goal, working out is an unpleasant way to spend an hour, and as you know can be skipped very easily. If you set a goal, however, it is a means to an end, and if you tell people about the goal, you create some social pressure too.

If you think you would like to hike in Carinthia, pick a hike that is aggressive enough that you definitely can't do it now, but is not too extreme, and plan to do it this summer. Then you have a goal and something to work toward.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on February 12, 2017, 02:18:31 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 12, 2017, 10:10:52 AM

That is an odd post to follow sasks immediately above yours.  :P

:lol:

I'm not even sure how you go about girding ones nether-regions either.

Maladict

West Highland Way booked for June  :cool:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Liep on January 17, 2017, 03:58:16 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 17, 2017, 03:52:37 PM

Myself, the mud and I destroyed my winter bike last week, it now needs a complete rebuild, so currently on my summer bike.  <_<

What broke? I haven't been out on my winter bike yet this season.  :Embarrass:

Things are starting to warm up, days are getting longer, in a few weeks I will be back to commuting by bike  :)

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on February 12, 2017, 03:34:31 PM
West Highland Way booked for June  :cool:

:cool:

Nice trip by the looks of it.

mongers

Ended up doing 25 miles this afternoon, small steps I guess, but progress from the Winter slowdown.  :)

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on February 12, 2017, 02:24:45 PM
I'm not even sure how you go about girding ones nether-regions either.

This is how you gird your loins:

Syt

Quote from: alfred russel on February 12, 2017, 02:24:06 PM
Syt, the regular readers of this thread are probably tired of reading me say similar things, but in case you hadn't been reading, I think setting a goal is easier than just "working out" an hour or something. If you don't have a goal, working out is an unpleasant way to spend an hour, and as you know can be skipped very easily. If you set a goal, however, it is a means to an end, and if you tell people about the goal, you create some social pressure too.

If you think you would like to hike in Carinthia, pick a hike that is aggressive enough that you definitely can't do it now, but is not too extreme, and plan to do it this summer. Then you have a goal and something to work toward.

The goal is "losing weight". I'm at nearly 300 lbs at the moment and would like to get to 220. I know it's a long road, and if I want any change to last it's not going to be achieved through any "lose weight fast" schemes. I enjoy training with dumbbells, and I like running, but that will have to wait until I have a weight that won't kill my knees when I run on asphalt. Besides, I'm very self conscious about doing sports with other people watching. I tried working out on stationary bikes, but even with music/TV/audio books it was awful. Just didn't like it at all.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

alfred russel

You don't look nearly so large, unless you have put on weight recently. I think you carry it well (not that you shouldn't lose the extra weight though).