News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2017 Fitness Thread

Started by mongers, December 21, 2016, 02:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on November 07, 2017, 01:19:08 PM
I have been kickboxing since about June (ok not really, it is this gym where I kick and punch the shit out of punching bags for about a half hour). I am down about twenty pounds so today I got to be featured in gym propaganda for how paying them a bunch of money can improve your health. Wahoo! I have always wanted to be one of those 'I lost so much weight using this product' guys.

:thumbsup:

Consistency is key. Plus the extra lean muscle mass is a nice bonus. Keep at it.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

celedhring

200 Kgx10 deadlift  :menace:

Still can't take those last 10 kg off, but I admit I'm not dieting for it.

Josquius

I'm gaining again.
Hurray depression.
Maybe next year if/when I move I can make a serious attempt for 80 again.
██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

Quote from: celedhring on November 23, 2017, 05:34:10 AM

:showoff:

Quote from: celedhring on November 23, 2017, 05:34:10 AMStill can't take those last 10 kg off, but I admit I'm not dieting for it.

We all have our cross to bear.  ;) Still it's been a helluva ride hasn't it? I bet you didn't think you'd be doing 200kg deadlifts for cardio when you started out.

celedhring

Quote from: Legbiter on November 23, 2017, 01:01:56 PM

:showoff:

We all have our cross to bear.  ;) Still it's been a helluva ride hasn't it? I bet you didn't think you'd be doing 200kg deadlifts for cardio when you started out.

Yeah, when I began lifting regularly 3 years ago, I was close to becoming a human blob. I remember how it all started, I had gone to the doctor because of continuous back pain and she was pretty brutal: "dear, you're really overweight and if you keep up like this your life is going to suck when you're actually old. Get your ass to a gym, like tomorrow".

I know that I sound like a shitty motivational ad, but right now I'm a few months away from 40 and in the best shape of my life. I'm stronger than when I was 20, which is a fantastic feeling. I haven't had back problems in ages.

Regarding the lard I'm still carrying, when I split with my GF this summer I thought that at least I would be able to control my diet better, and planned to use that to lose the extra fat. But somehow I ended up starting a GAINZ diet and getting totally hooked to the progress.  :lol:

I think I will keep this program until I feel like I'm hitting a plateau, and then focus on losing fat.

Legbiter

Quote from: celedhring on November 23, 2017, 03:37:05 PMRegarding the lard I'm still carrying, when I split with my GF this summer I thought that at least I would be able to control my diet better, and planned to use that to lose the extra fat. But somehow I ended up starting a GAINZ diet and getting totally hooked to the progress.  :lol:

I think I will keep this program until I feel like I'm hitting a plateau, and then focus on losing fat.

Well keep at it you certainly have the work ethic.  :thumbsup: And you are above 99.96% of your peers already.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

That is amazing. Who cares about an extra 10kg if you can deadlift 200kg x 10.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

celedhring

Quote from: alfred russel on November 24, 2017, 06:00:12 PM

That is amazing. Who cares about an extra 10kg if you can deadlift 200kg x 10.

It's actually a bit less than 2x my bodyweight (I'm at 105), I see people lighter than me pull it off at the gym.

Nonetheless, I'm really happy of having hit that. Sore as fuck too.

mongers

My early evening/night walk exercise program is doing ok, last night did 4miles in the sub-zero temperatures, fine as long as one kept going; wind chill was a bit much to stop and take photos.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 12, 2017, 07:41:51 PM
Bike broke down?  :huh:

No it's freezing here and/or a sea of mud in these parts.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Last week of 2017....

I'm restarting the C25K tonight. I'm still 25 lbs heavier than I'd like to be, and I need to build up stamina if I'm going to climb Mt. Saint Helen's next summer. I've managed to keep most of the weight off that I lost last spring, which is a win, so this is just saying, "Okay, time to kick it up a notch again."

I've also been shirking going to Tai Chi. As of this coming week, I'm planning to go three times a week to get back into the swing of it. The strained muscle in my arm has (mostly) healed, so I should be okay. I just need to get to the gym.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

dps

So, aa and I have joined a gym.  I now have no excuse not to go regularly after work, because it's just across the parking lot from my job.

Drakken

Started to go back to the gym this October, after a three-year layoff while I was working in construction at the time. I was around 60-70% what I was lifting when I had stopped, but it quickly came back after two months thanks to muscle memory - even while being on a calorie deficit.

Standard Stronglifts 5x5 for now, because Deadlifts. It works, so I am not changing program anytime soon, and I add some Triceps isolation on Day A and Chin-ups on Day B.

Back to counting calories, too. Currently on a cut since late September, went from 190 moderately out of shape to 174 as of now (I aim at between 1 and 1.5 pound loss per week). Already the abs area is getting quite thin (although they are still not visible), and the vascularity on my arms has returned. I aim for 168, even to go as low at 164 pounds if needed, which if all goes well should be reached by February. Then, start a very clean bulk (300 calories surplus top) to rebuild from the ground up.