News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2017 Fitness Thread

Started by mongers, December 21, 2016, 02:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Thought I'd save a lot of us the effort of posting in that coming thread.  :P

Of course, feel free to post in this thread if you feel you're going to buck trend and the predicted outcomes.  :D 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

But it isn't 2017 yet. :)

I set my goals out at the start of the 2016 thread--looking forward to see how I succeeded and failed in the days to come. A great way to hold myself accountable. Will have to repeat in 2017.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on December 21, 2016, 02:07:17 PM
Of course, feel free to post in this thread if you feel you're going to buck trend and the predicted outcomes.  :D

I have the uncanny feeling that I may wind up living through 2017.

So, posted.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

I stopped going to the gym halfway through the year.
It's just so damn boring
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on December 23, 2016, 05:51:09 AM
It's just so damn boring

Not shit.

Go for some country walks, runs, bikes, hikes instead.

edit:
Incidentally I will retitle the thread to Fitness 2017 once the new year starts, I'll be easier to find it on page 9-10 that way.  :nelson:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on December 23, 2016, 05:51:09 AM
It's just so damn boring

Set objective goals for yourself to hit, with a deadline. Not weight goals--but strength and cardio goals (for example, bench x amount of weight, run x distance in y time).

Then get a training routine where every exercise is a challenge to complete, and hold yourself to strict rest limits between sets. It makes it very easy to hold yourself accountable and a benchmark to measure improvement against. For example, say you are doing 5 sets of 8 reps. Last time you couldn't quite finish--the last time you got through the first 4 sets, but only 6 reps in the last set. This time: push hard to finish that last set.

It keeps things from being boring.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Scipio

My goal by the end of 2017 is to be able to do 5 chin-ups. I learned in 2015-6 that I can achieve my cycling goals without much difficulty; maintaining is difficult, but cycling is awfully scalable. Chin-ups are fucking hard for us fatties, though.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 21, 2016, 04:09:26 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 21, 2016, 02:07:17 PM

I have the uncanny feeling that I may wind up living through 2017.

So, posted.

Would you really want to miss the Trumpenreich shenanigans?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on December 27, 2016, 07:37:29 PM
Would you really want to miss the Trumpenreich shenanigans?

At around 60 to 70 megatons, I won't be able to miss them at all.