News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Nintendo WTF

Started by The Minsky Moment, December 20, 2016, 07:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Nintendo uses contract Chinese manufacturing like everyone else.  In fact they contract with industry giant Foxconn/Hon Hai.  The NES and SNES classic are not highly complex pieces of equipment.  Once the scale of demand was obvious it should not have been that difficult to scale up.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 18, 2017, 09:37:30 AM
Jason Schreier has theorized that the NES Mini was a production tie over while they were prepping to start the Switch & had already ended WiiU production. Now that switch is up running & some capacity is available they are used to make NES & SNES minis.

Nintendo stumbled into a product people wanted, they didn't know.

LULZ comme disent les jeunes. [spoiler]Si avéré.  :P[/spoiler]

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 18, 2017, 10:18:46 AM
Nintendo uses contract Chinese manufacturing like everyone else.  In fact they contract with industry giant Foxconn/Hon Hai.  The NES and SNES classic are not highly complex pieces of equipment.  Once the scale of demand was obvious it should not have been that difficult to scale up.

That's the thing. Nintendo never scales up.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Josquius

I don't get the NES/SNES mini fuss.
There's a million unofficial clones out there no?

Speaking of which I am greatly tempted by getting a ROM cart for my SNES and/or Mega Drive.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on September 26, 2017, 11:49:51 AM

Speaking of which I am greatly tempted by getting a ROM cart for my SNES and/or Mega Drive.

The fuss is that it is plug and play.  No fiddling with emulators, no worrying about installing softwarae of dubious legality... just plug the mini into your TV and go.

Mrs B wants to buy the boys a Switch for Christmas.  hmm... they're more expensive than I thought.  It looks to be about $480 for the switch + bundled game, and an extra controller is $100 even.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

I got an email saying that mine is coming on Friday! :w00t:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

What Beebs said + as a grown ass man with a job, I feel it is a bit odd to be a :pirate
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on September 26, 2017, 11:54:45 AM

The fuss is that it is plug and play.  No fiddling with emulators, no worrying about installing softwarae of dubious legality... just plug the mini into your TV and go.

Mrs B wants to buy the boys a Switch for Christmas.  hmm... they're more expensive than I thought.  It looks to be about $480 for the switch + bundled game, and an extra controller is $100 even.

Really? Well, low Canadian dollar I guess. Recently, they released a cheaper i.e wired, yet officially licensed controller, half of the price of the regular controller. To help get more people behind the screen for Bomberman R, somewhat fixed with patches nowadays, and Super Mario Kart 8 Deluxe I guess.

Loup Gris

My pre order by Fnac is on its way too. I even saw some Snes Minis at the store,  :o If I had known I would not have pre ordered.

Grey Fox

In the Wild! That's crazy.

Grey Fox

Console stuck in Custom hell.

garbon

Just got mine delivered to work. It is so tiny!

Duque de Bragança

Got mine delivered, well more like picked up at the store.
Still no scalping prices online, yet.

Grey Fox

It made it!

Thing is tiny.

garbon

Indeed. The controllers dwarf it!