News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Nintendo WTF

Started by The Minsky Moment, December 20, 2016, 07:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

It appears the new Zelda game runs better on the WiiU than on the Switch at the moment.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on March 06, 2017, 07:25:22 AM
It appears the new Zelda game runs better on the WiiU than on the Switch at the moment.

Really? The Switch is supposed to be the "superior" version. The first test I read mentioned the Wii U version had a less stable framerate than the Switch, itself not stellar.

Syt

Well, I was going by comments from some streamers over the weekend.

Kotaku ( :blush: ) quotes a Digital Foundry test, saying that comparing docked Switch in 900p and WiiU at 720p, in some cases one runs better, in other cases the other. Undocked, in 720p, the Switch outperforms the WiiU. They warn that they only looked at the first section of the game, though.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/03/zelda-breath-of-the-wilds-switch-and-wii-u-versions-compared/

It seems the Switch is sold for 329.- here which is pretty cheap for a new console, I suppose. Bit surprised that there's no console/Zelda bundle.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

I bought a Switch for my son, and another one just because.

Sold the extra one a day later for $100 over the purchase price because they were sold out already.

Son says the new Zelda game is the best video game he has ever played.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Duque de Bragança

299 € in most places here, and not sold out so speculation would not work here, yet.
Some chains had preorder boni such as 40 € voucher to use for a game later on such as Zelda or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe which comes out later in April.

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 06, 2017, 07:13:32 AM
So far, no Switch shortages unlike the Wii or more recently, the New New Mini though.  :P

I read an article in the independent which spoke of demand outstripping supply.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

The new Zelda is pretty awesome, I gotta say.

Bought the WiiU version. Their are frame drops often just like what the Switch version has but the graphics are nice enough. If you wanted really awesome graphics playing a Nintendo game is not the way to go.

To play Zelda on Switch here is prohibitively expensive. 400+80+100+Taxes. Console, game, pro controller.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on March 06, 2017, 08:49:44 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 06, 2017, 07:13:32 AM
So far, no Switch shortages unlike the Wii or more recently, the New New Mini though.  :P

I read an article in the independent which spoke of demand outstripping supply.

Varies locally I suppose. The UK is not very Nintendo-friendly in general though IIRC.
Here at best, there are temporary shortages at best, but stock due March 10. Not enough to sell one for 100 € more than the list price.

Josquius

Yeah, the big complaint I've seen is the amount of add ons needed.

The lack of a D pad on the controller also bemuses and annoys many reviewers
Quote from: Berkut on March 06, 2017, 08:46:04 AM
I bought a Switch for my son, and another one just because.

Sold the extra one a day later for $100 over the purchase price because they were sold out already.

Son says the new Zelda game is the best video game he has ever played.

A lesson in business for the boy? 😂
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I've watched bits and pieces of Zelda over the weekend. It looks pretty good. It seems like they modernized it just enough.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

I think of it alot in the vein of a Survival (ala Rust), Far Cry Primal & GTA 5 in a Zelda setting.

Every enemy encounter can be tackled differently & amusingly.

By mistake I set the grass on fire in a field, it spread so far out that it destroyed an enemy outpost that I hadn't even discovered yet. Easy chess.

Syt

That Zelda game generally got decent reviews. Jim Sterling liked it, but didn't like some things, and gave it 7/10, which rates as "good" on his scale.

This unleashed a torrent of abuse, death threats, hacking attempts on his social media accounts, and DDOS attacks on his site by rabid Zelda fanbois.  :wacko:
—Stephen Jay Gould

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on March 18, 2017, 09:14:02 AM
That Zelda game generally got decent reviews. Jim Sterling liked it, but didn't like some things, and gave it 7/10, which rates as "good" on his scale.

This unleashed a torrent of abuse, death threats, hacking attempts on his social media accounts, and DDOS attacks on his site by rabid Zelda fanbois.  :wacko:

It looks decent enough.  I want to know if there are sufficient differences to warrant getting the Switch or if it would be serviceable on my Wii U, but the gameplay I've seen generally looks like somebody took Twilight Princess, The Wind Waker, and Metal Gear Solid 3 and diced it in a blender (for example, the food and stealth mechanics really scream MGS3 to be, but it's got the Korok leaf from Wind Waker... but its overworld map most closely resembles Twilight Princess- since Hyrule Castle is in the center of the map, rather than the north).
Experience bij!

Razgovory

I didn't even know there were such things as Zelda fans.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 18, 2017, 09:41:47 AM

It looks decent enough.  I want to know if there are sufficient differences to warrant getting the Switch or if it would be serviceable on my Wii U, but the gameplay I've seen generally looks like somebody took Twilight Princess, The Wind Waker, and Metal Gear Solid 3 and diced it in a blender (for example, the food and stealth mechanics really scream MGS3 to be, but it's got the Korok leaf from Wind Waker... but its overworld map most closely resembles Twilight Princess- since Hyrule Castle is in the center of the map, rather than the north).

It works fine on the WiiU.

The game reminds me of Far Cry Primal & Dark Souls. If they had a Zelda baby, together.