And we're back!

Main Menu

Nintendo WTF

Started by The Minsky Moment, December 20, 2016, 07:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 21, 2016, 10:31:08 AM
Quote from: The Brain on December 21, 2016, 10:24:01 AM
I'm shocked that westerners believe that everything has to be about monetary gain.

Right - Nintendo doesn't care about monetary gain.  That explains the premium pricing on the new Mario app.

And their highly restrictive YouTube policies (though that seems like a common streak among Japanese developers and publishers).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 21, 2016, 10:34:10 AM
The Wii U did not sell well, scarcity was not never a problem, unless you the scarcity of sales.  :P
The Wii did sell well. Yes, that's the problem, people mixed up the both of them so felt no need to buy a new one.

Which is too bad since the Wii U is much better than the Wii.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

The Wii U is a good system but it wasn't perceived as a sufficient upgrade to merit a new purchase and it hasn't been strongly supported on the software side.

My understanding is that the switch will be using different format software and will not be backwards compatible.  Obnoxious.  Could they be intentionally tanking the 3DS to try to transfer demand for Switch at launch.  Seems a crazy business strategy but who knows?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Who knows how some of those companies think. Konami is sitting on some of the best known and most valuable brands and intellectual properties in gaming, and they decided to focus on mobile games and pachinko machines, bascally giving up on PC and console games.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Well, Konami is perhaps the saddest example of the evolution of the Japanese videogame industry. :( Such a legend...

I am not aware they gave up on their one big sports license, PES, though. But, yeah forget a new Suikoden, and Metal Gear Solid without Kojima seems doubtful. I don't think Kojima can use the name after he was fired by Konami.

Back to topic, Nintendo still uses his most valuable brands.

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 21, 2016, 11:22:47 AM
Well, Konami is perhaps the saddest example of the evolution of the Japanese videogame industry. :( Such a legend...

More like devolution.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am not aware they gave up on their one big sports license, PES, though. But, yeah forget a new Suikoden, and Metal Gear Solid without Kojima seems doubtful. I don't think Kojima can use the name after he was fired by Konami.

They hang onto PES for now, but I think it's not going be for too long.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on December 21, 2016, 11:37:36 AM

They hang onto PES for now, but I think it's not going be for too long.

There is a new Metal Gear Solid scheduled, without Kojima.
As for PES, FIFA really needs a competitor...

The Minsky Moment

After bitching about this, the new 3DS suddenly showed up today on Amazon Prime Now (NY), at the 99.99 price.  Doesn't seem to be available anywhere else though.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

And . . . the Classic came into the Nintendo store today
Hard to find a diverse set of people then the line at the Nintendo NYC store.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 23, 2016, 11:41:31 AM

And in English?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

You like Puppy dog controller, G?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 23, 2016, 11:41:31 AM

Nes Mini Classic do you mean? Much better seller than the Wii U for sure.
Sold out before Christmas, to amplify speculation.  :tinfoil:
Extra controllers are still sold out.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.