News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Can't connect to my WiFi

Started by Josephus, December 08, 2016, 08:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Strange problem.

My WiFi works. I'm using it now from my Mac. It works with my phone.

But as of today my PC laptop (Windows 10) won't connect. It is connected but it says "no internet".
Network status says "no internet access" your device is connected but you ight not be able to access anything in the network."

I do a trouble shoot. It goes through resolving problems and then says  "Wi Fi" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Like I said, it works on my other devices?

Note, I'm not a techie.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

The simplest solution  I found on the net was to go to cmd prompt and type net sh winsock reset.

Is that a legitimate possible solution (ie.not opening myself up to bad shit?)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

turn it off and turn it on again?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Quote from: Liep on December 09, 2016, 01:39:25 AM
turn it off and turn it on again?

Tried that. Did not work.

Did do the netsh winsock reset and that worked.
Civis Romanus Sum

Vricklund

Under normal circumstances you shouldn't have to reset winsock. It shouldn't get corrupted unless there's something corrupting it.  :P :rolleyes: :)

If you're behind your own router and you can't reach the internet, you should try browsing to its admin page. Depending on if you can access the router or not you should get a good idea of what side of the router the problem is.

It's not uncommon that a computer fails to get a proper IP-address assigned. Run->cmd->ipconfig will tell you what IP-adress your computer has been assigned. Windows defaults to an 169.254.x.x ip address if it can't get one assigned.

Those are solid advice for _any_ kind of home networking issue.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on December 08, 2016, 08:18:39 PM
Strange problem.

My WiFi works. I'm using it now from my Mac. It works with my phone.

But as of today my PC laptop (Windows 10) won't connect. It is connected but it says "no internet".
Network status says "no internet access" your device is connected but you ight not be able to access anything in the network."

I do a trouble shoot. It goes through resolving problems and then says  "Wi Fi" doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Like I said, it works on my other devices?

Note, I'm not a techie.
I had similar problems at some point.  Resetting the adapter would sometime work, some other times, nothing to do.  One computer would be working fine, the other did not want to connect at all.  Never the same wifi computer giving me troubles.

My experience has led me to finally identify the culprit.

Windows 10 likes to do upgrades while you sleep.  Fine, I can live with that.  It also updates hardware, sometimes.  And when it does that, it tends to reset your adapter preferences.  And being from Seattle, Microsoft's engineers have an environmental conscience that leads them to activate power saving option for your wireless adapter.  So it drops power at times, the radio is not as strong as it should be for a large house, and then you have all kinds of problems, like that.

To fix it:
- Right click your wifi connection.
- Choose "Open network and sharing center"
- On the left, click "adapter settings"
- Right click the adapter, select properties
- click configure
- From then it varies from device to device, but you should have a tab named "power management". Select it.
- There you will see a check box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".  Uncheck it.
- There is also a check box "Allow this device to wake the computer".  Check it.
- Click ok until you're out of there.

That fixed all of my wifi problems, like frequent disconnect, not getting an IP adress and all that kind of joyful things.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Well, like I said, the reset seemed to work.

Not sure what caused the corruption. I know I was having trouble a couple days ago accessing one specific site...so maybe that's what it was.

As long as no harm's done.
Civis Romanus Sum

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

strangely, it was my work site that was giving me issues.
Civis Romanus Sum

Richard Hakluyt

I think it was the recent windows 10 update that caused the issues (like viper said), though it was inconsistent and only seemed to affect some machines. In our case it affected my wife's personal laptop. Rather than thinking about it I came to this thread and sorted the problem by applying the reset.

The dumbing down of homo sapiens continues  :P

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on December 10, 2016, 08:31:06 AM

The zionists have started to hack :ph34r:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on December 12, 2016, 12:37:53 PM
Quote from: Josephus on December 10, 2016, 08:31:06 AM

The zionists have started to hack :ph34r:

Or we were hacked, most likely.
Civis Romanus Sum