News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Westworld Discussion - SPOILERS!

Started by Berkut, December 07, 2016, 10:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Berkut on January 24, 2017, 01:54:09 PM
When I watch a show like that, I consciously try NOT to think about it beyond what they want me to know.

I *like* being surprised!

But I also feel like there is this implicit agreement between me and the story - I won't try to figure you out ahead of time, but you better give me a good reveal that actually works.

Which is why I stopped watching Lost once it became clear the people writing the show had no more idea how to explain what was happening than I did. And why Battlestar Galactica's writers should be in prison on war crimes charges.

:lol:

I waited until the last episode of Westworld was on HBO Spain and binged it, in order to avoid that. When you work as a screenwriter it is pretty hard not to try to think ahead of the show/film you're watching.

Josephus

Quote from: Berkut on January 24, 2017, 01:54:09 PM
When I watch a show like that, I consciously try NOT to think about it beyond what they want me to know.

I *like* being surprised!

But I also feel like there is this implicit agreement between me and the story - I won't try to figure you out ahead of time, but you better give me a good reveal that actually works.

Which is why I stopped watching Lost once it became clear the people writing the show had no more idea how to explain what was happening than I did. And why Battlestar Galactica's writers should be in prison on war crimes charges.

Totally agree. I always hate it when people say "I know what's gonna happen..." and I'm like "Why? I never think ahead."
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Loved the last episode of Season 1.

Couldn't make it through the first episode of Season 2.  Too random, too deus-ex-machina-ey, too determined to undermine everything they were trying to do in Season 1.  Dolores goes from being the heroine to being a psychopathic killer.  Hosts torture and murder guests for no fucking reason other than maybe just to show the audience how badass they are.  Bernard goes from being a secret mastermind of the project to a babbling idiot.  Guys armed with six-shooters mow down trained troops armed with submachine guns (and then immediately know how to accurately use the submachine guns they just captured).  Only the Man in Black fails to disappoint, and he isn't on screen long enough.

Unless I hear some great reviews of later episodes, I think I'm done. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I watched the first season last summer when I got HBO.  I liked it, but didn't see the point to a second season.  The story seemed finished, and the point made.  The story of what happens after the robots revolt doesn't seem as mysterious or interesting as the mysterious events that cause it to happen.  Haven't watched the first episode yet, and maybe I'm wrong.  I didn't expect the show to be as good as it was when saw it.

I do remember watching it and thinking "this is probably the best video game movie I've ever seen.  And it's not directly about video games".  I was curious if that was intentional and did find that the makers were inspired by games like Skyrim.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on April 30, 2018, 11:24:04 AM

Couldn't make it through the first episode of Season 2.  Too random, too deus-ex-machina-ey, too determined to undermine everything they were trying to do in Season 1.  Dolores goes from being the heroine to being a psychopathic killer.  Hosts torture and murder guests for no fucking reason other than maybe just to show the audience how badass they are.  Bernard goes from being a secret mastermind of the project to a babbling idiot.  Guys armed with six-shooters mow down trained troops armed with submachine guns (and then immediately know how to accurately use the submachine guns they just captured).  Only the Man in Black fails to disappoint, and he isn't on screen long enough.

It was rather bizarre.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

I don't know what the hell is going on and they're not showing any tits.

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on April 30, 2018, 11:24:04 AM

I think they over did things, moved too fast. I do like how the hosts are now trying to take charge and assert themselves, but Bernard's story is hard to follow for me. We learned last season that he also was a construct similar to the hosts and I forget who else knows it, but he does know it. I guess trying to act like his normal self. But He's in two places, has two iterations, so waiting to see how that pans out when it's known.

I like Dolores's character but I agree, she's become a cold blooded killer or something. I could be forgetting some of what caused such radical changes. Thandie Newton's character was one of the first hosts to figure things out, take some initiative and get help making changes so she would be independent. Did she also make changes so other characters like Dolores became aware and independent?

I'll still watch, love the show. See how it all goes over the next few episodes/season. They have a winning show as long as they don't get too carried away.

grumbler

Thandie Newton's character is another one that can use modern submachine guns and their recoil without any trouble whatsover, right from the start.  Deus ex machina.  But at least her story has some logic to it; we understand her actions and her motives.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

I saw the second episode of season 2 Westworld and it's making more sense to me. I think with the hiatus between seasons I forgot some, so wasn't so much in tune with what was going on. I really like the characters in it, lots of plot twists going on.

Agreed though that the hosts being able to do so much is a bit over the top. I'm wondering if Thandie's character was able to add some of that knowledge in while she have the techs manipulate the host templates.

Josephus

One of the issues I have with the main premise of this show (and no, it's not sentient robots), is that no one recognizes Arnold as Bernard.

I know, I know, Bernard came later. The writers went through great pains to explain that away (Ford wiped away the records of Arnold, etc.).

But..Seriously? In the information age? One must assume Westworld is the biggest thing ever when it opened. Newspaper (or whatever counts for newspapers) articles, magazines, documentaries, hell Wikipedia, articles must exist showing Arnold--one of the main driving forces.

It's like 30 years from now everyone forgetting who Zucherberg was. (I can't even think of his first name right now...so maybe.)

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Arnold died before the park opened.  Pictures of him show someone else (or else they show the real Arnold and Bernard is made in the mental, not physical, image of Arnold).

The role of Arnold and Ford aren't like the role or Zuckerberg or Gates.  Their role is more like the guys who invented Zork.

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Quote from: grumbler on May 03, 2018, 08:55:05 AM
Arnold died before the park opened.  Pictures of him show someone else (or else they show the real Arnold and Bernard is made in the mental, not physical, image of Arnold).

The role of Arnold and Ford aren't like the role or Zuckerberg or Gates.  Their role is more like the guys who invented Zork.

i disagree. A theme park that allows guests to throw themselves into a VR world? this is bigger than Disneyland. There would have been a million articles written about it when the park opened.
Civis Romanus Sum

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on May 03, 2018, 09:04:51 AM
i disagree. A theme park that allows guests to throw themselves into a VR world? this is bigger than Disneyland. There would have been a million articles written about it when the park opened.
How many people know the names of the designers of Disneyland?

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Quote from: grumbler on May 03, 2018, 10:31:32 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 03, 2018, 09:04:51 AM
How many people know the names of the designers of Disneyland?

Walt.

Civis Romanus Sum

Josquius

I'm really not sure about the way the show is going.
All the timelines and the lack of a typical western part.

Would have been nice if they'd explored the other worlds a bit before skipping ahead to this.

I am curious though about where Westworld is. I'd always assumed via the arriving train and of course the western setting that it was in some rural part of the western US.
But those Chinese soldiers...it's a huge island in the pacific? Huh?

QuoteArnold died before the park opened.  Pictures of him show someone else (or else they show the real Arnold and Bernard is made in the mental, not physical, image of Arnold).

A worthy explanation out on the streets.
But this is the company that makes Zork.
You'd think pictures of the founders would be quite widespread in the offices and featured prominently in the employee handbook everyone is issued.
██████
██████
██████