News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Westworld Discussion - SPOILERS!

Started by Berkut, December 07, 2016, 10:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

imo, MIB (ed harris) either becomes a perma villain or he's semi-villain until he gets a redemption arc

crazy canuck

Quote from: LaCroix on December 08, 2016, 10:54:31 AM
imo, MIB (ed harris) either becomes a perma villain or he's semi-villain until he gets a redemption arc

I thought he reached the moment of redemption at the end of the last episode.  He was never really a villain - it just seemed that way because we didnt know his backstory.  What he wanted all along was for the hosts to be more real.

LaCroix

he wants a game with real world consequences, where people can die. he's obsessed with westworld, but he's also bored with it because he can do anything and nobody can really fight back. he doesn't exactly have the same interests as arnold or ford.

FunkMonk

The boyish, deliriously happy smile on his face was a very nice touch by Ed Harris.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Berkut

I suspect that there will be Samurai involved.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josephus

Quote from: LaCroix on December 08, 2016, 11:01:55 AM
he wants a game with real world consequences, where people can die. he's obsessed with westworld, but he's also bored with it because he can do anything and nobody can really fight back. he doesn't exactly have the same interests as arnold or ford.

Yes. He only wants the hosts to be "more real" for his own self-interest.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on December 08, 2016, 03:19:23 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on December 08, 2016, 11:01:55 AM

Yes. He only wants the hosts to be "more real" for his own self-interest.

Perhaps.  You might be right.  But his pure joy at seeing the uprising starting combined with the devastation the younger William felt when he realized Delores had started on another loop makes me think there is more to it.

LaCroix

ahh, that's what you meant earlier by redemption... I was wondering what you meant by that. his pure joy was because he got shot--finally, he actually got really injured in this world. remember the last conversation he had of the episode with ford? he had again expressed dissatisfaction with how there are no high stakes in westworld

Josquius

Well. Wow.
I'm a week late but avoided spoilers and finally saw the last episode.

Interesting piece of writing that they started us off with a pretty even view of things from the human/host POV, with a definite skew towards the humans (leading us to believe Teddy was a human at first. Plus Bernard). And now they've gone and left us with all but one of the main characters as hosts (or all? I have a feeling William won't be dead...).

Big shame the madam didn't take the train out. I'd be interested to see the world. I imagine its a super post-scarcity place where the only work is in entertainment. Hopefully they've conquered space. But of course showing this high tech world would be a budget nightmare and from the film making POV a bit of an immersion breaker for viewers who can see Westworld as a Jurassic Parkesque place of one off high tech amidst the world as we know it.

Awesome F.U from Ned Stark/Hopkins. The whole thing that the hosts aren't quite as advanced as we thought and the madam has a script running, questions over quite how aware Dolores is....

Samurai World? Shogun World? Curious to see.
I'm envisioning Westworld as the centre piece and other worlds being on a considerably smaller scale, add-on attractions, but who knows.

I'm kind of dissapointed I made the mistake of reading a theory at about episode 5 which revealed the William/black hat and Bernard/Arnold thing. Would have been nice to realise myself. I think I would have done eventually. But who knows. If didn't would be interesting to see where in the reveal dialogue I would realise.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

So I am watching again with the wife, and as expected, the second time around I am picking out all kinds of cool foreshadowing.

The last several minutes of Episode 3 and the first several minutes of Episode 4 are ever so much more interesting the second time around! I recommend going and re-watching just those "interviews". You see so much more what is actually happening to Dolores....

0 rows returned

celedhring

Quote from: Berkut on January 24, 2017, 11:51:33 AM
So I am watching again with the wife, and as expected, the second time around I am picking out all kinds of cool foreshadowing.

The last several minutes of Episode 3 and the first several minutes of Episode 4 are ever so much more interesting the second time around! I recommend going and re-watching just those "interviews". You see so much more what is actually happening to Dolores....

Yeah, I have to do that eventually. I really want to see if everything makes sense on a second viewing, once you know everything.

Berkut

Even on a second viewing, I cannot figure out how William/the Man In Black managed to get the blood from Lawrence into Teddy... :P

0 rows returned

Berkut

Although the second time around, it does seem pretty obvious there are two timelines going.

That was not at all clear to me the first time though...

0 rows returned

Josquius

I spoilt it for myself reading a theory that this was happening.  As yeah. Can't say it came to mind for me.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

When I watch a show like that, I consciously try NOT to think about it beyond what they want me to know.

I *like* being surprised!

But I also feel like there is this implicit agreement between me and the story - I won't try to figure you out ahead of time, but you better give me a good reveal that actually works.

Which is why I stopped watching Lost once it became clear the people writing the show had no more idea how to explain what was happening than I did. And why Battlestar Galactica's writers should be in prison on war crimes charges.

0 rows returned