News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Westworld Discussion - SPOILERS!

Started by Berkut, December 07, 2016, 10:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

When does the Dolores story line with her dad who comes across the photo of Will's wife and goes crazy take place then? That has to be present-day dolores, no?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

LaCroix

Quote from: Josephus on December 07, 2016, 07:37:50 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on December 07, 2016, 10:55:46 AM
Quote5. In particular Clitoris isn't even in the presumably accessible main town, but out in the wilds with her new squeeze, but she gets whisked back and forth constantly.

you mean dolores hanging out with lil will and suddenly whisking away to the dark room and speaking with bernard? that's the multi-timelines at play. dolores, hanging with will, never left will. she had memories of her hundreds of conversations with arnold, which all happened before she met will.

hmmm...not so sure.

what do you mean you're not sure? do you think the black guy dolores spoke with in that little room was bernard, not arnold? i.e., that was her talking to bernard in the present? if this is what you mean, what makes you think that?

LaCroix

Quote from: Josephus on December 07, 2016, 07:42:45 PM
When does the Dolores story line with her dad who comes across the photo of Will's wife and goes crazy take place then? That has to be present-day dolores, no?

yes

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on December 07, 2016, 07:42:45 PM
yeah, its present day. The photo of wills wife that logan gives him as a reminder in timeline 2 has aged. though in real life I don't know if it would last 30 years
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: LaCroix on December 07, 2016, 07:44:43 PM
Quote5. In particular Clitoris isn't even in the presumably accessible main town, but out in the wilds with her new squeeze, but she gets whisked back and forth constantly.

you mean dolores hanging out with lil will and suddenly whisking away to the dark room and speaking with bernard? that's the multi-timelines at play. dolores, hanging with will, never left will. she had memories of her hundreds of conversations with arnold, which all happened before she met will.

hmmm...not so sure.

what do you mean you're not sure? do you think the black guy dolores spoke with in that little room was bernard, not arnold? i.e., that was her talking to bernard in the present? if this is what you mean, what makes you think that?

I don't think all the conversations were with Arnold. i think some were with Bernard. I'm not sure how. It gets confusing I admit.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on December 07, 2016, 07:52:49 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on December 07, 2016, 07:44:43 PM

hmmm...not so sure.

I don't think all the conversations were with Arnold. i think some were with Bernard. I'm not sure how. It gets confusing I admit.

You are right, they are not all with Arnold.  But LaCroix is not making that claim.  It seems pretty clear she is talking to both of them over time.  But there are times when she is clearly talking to Arnold himself.  You can tell by the room they are in and the dress she is wearing.

LaCroix

and arnold's clothing. arnold wears the black buttoned down. bernard wears different clothing. the clothing stays the same (nearly the same??) between the two and acts as an additional hint that these are two different people.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on December 07, 2016, 12:50:17 PM
Fuck, the more I think about this the more I am impressed.

One of the things that really annoys me about shows like this is where there is a conundrum introduce, that is then never really resolved, or resolved in a pantently ridiculous manner (BSG, Lost, etc., etc.)

So far, there have been some things that when introduced I thought were kind of silly, but understood at the time that they were taking a little shortcut, but was ok with that - and now I am realizing that it wasn't a shortcut at all, and it actually makes vastly more sense NOW.

Example: When we first saw the Man in Black, it was clear he was on some kind of "quest" to find the center of the maze. Some "storyline" with a deeper meaning, a more profound point to it than the others.

A couple times we see people he runs into tell him "This is not for you!". Now, this is a standard quest trope - the quester is being told to turn back, as what is ahead is not his business. Quester, of course, always ignores this advice.

In this case though, at the time, I thought "That really doesn't make sense. Why create a deeper storyline with some greater truth that you bury so deeply it seems likely that nobody will ever actually experience? After all, the MIB is a special case customer  - he has much more time than any normal customer - and so unless it was made just for him, how does this storyline make any sense at all?"

Well, it turns out that the "this isn't for you" was not a trope at all - it was literally true. Williamn didn't uncover a deeply layered storyline intended for himself, he stumbled on something that truly had nothing to do with him at all. A "storyline" that was never meant for any human. And THAT affected him in a profound manner that I don't think anyone could have predicted, since Arnold and Ford certainly never thought their "maze" would be found or understood by any guest.

Agreed.  when we first heard the maze was not for him I thought it was because he didn't care about the story lines and seemed intent on wrecking them.  It wasn't until the big reveal that it all fell into place.  A brilliant piece of writing to leave all those ends to be tied up so neatly at the end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: LaCroix on December 07, 2016, 09:07:49 PM
and arnold's clothing. arnold wears the black buttoned down. bernard wears different clothing. the clothing stays the same (nearly the same??) between the two and acts as an additional hint that these are two different people.

I hadn't noticed that.  I am definitely going to have to find time to watch this again.  :)

FunkMonk

Quote from: Scipio on December 07, 2016, 05:53:50 PM
Jonah Nolan has always been a very layered dude. He's got a chess player mentality (clearly visible in early efforts like Memento and The Prestige, more subtly so in Person of Interest). I'm excited to see Westworld, finally (got my sister's HBO Go password).

Just finished watching season 1 of Person of Interest because I saw it recommended somewhere. It's great  :cool:

Hint: Nobody spoil Person of Interest for me  :mad:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sophie Scholl

Of all sites, I found the Vanity Fair reviews of the episodes to be the best.  The author combs through various theories and then distills them with her own thoughts into very interesting and accurate results.  I'll toss a link for those who are interested in reading them.  An orderly reading might be thoroughly interesting.  I started with the column in episode... 6 or so?
http://www.vanityfair.com/contributor/joanna-robinson
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

FunkMonk

Any predictions about where the show goes from here?

I'm guessing the robots divide into at least two groups: One side who want to exact revenge on humanity and the other who want to learn to coexist.

Also, with Ford dead I'm disappointed we won't be seeing Hopkins much, if at all, in the succeeding seasons. His acting chops really, really, really did a lot to sell the show to me.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

LaCroix

there's a theory he's still alive as either man or machine because his molding device was making something when theresa died, and he's apparently cast for season 2. I don't think I buy it, though. ford was great, but pushing him aside for the robotgeddon makes sense

HVC

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 07, 2016, 11:11:15 PM

I'm guessing the robots divide into at least two groups: One side who want to exact revenge on humanity and the other who want to learn to coexist.

Also, with Ford dead I'm disappointed we won't be seeing Hopkins much, if at all, in the succeeding seasons. His acting chops really, really, really did a lot to sell the show to me.

My only prediction is that at some point the bots wont be able to restart themselves and teddy will kill-kill Dolores/wyatt.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 07, 2016, 11:11:15 PM

My prediction is that the Corporation cracks down hard to regain control,  simplifies all the story lines and puts the simplistic story line guy in charge.  This will have the added benefit to HBO of attracting more of an audience with more sex and violence.  William will be viewed by the corp as a hero for surviving the uprising but he will really be carrying on the work of Arnold and Ford, now that he has discovered the maze.