News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Raspberry Pi (2)

Started by Darth Wagtaros, November 30, 2016, 09:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Anyone use a Raspberry Pi 2 as a server for Plex or Kodi?  I'm using my Synology as storage for all my ripped DVDs (I lose the damn DVDs, assume I never actualyl own it, then buy it off Amazon again and its getting ridiculous) since I'm going to digitize everything.
PDH!

mongers

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on November 30, 2016, 09:14:20 AM
Anyone use a Raspberry Pi 2 as a server for Plex or Kodi?  I'm using my Synology as storage for all my ripped DVDs (I lose the damn DVDs, assume I never actualyl own it, then buy it off Amazon again and its getting ridiculous) since I'm going to digitize everything.

I keep meaning to get one of those as a stand-alone pc or Risc OS machine, but I'm afraid I don't understand the rest of the post.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Arvoreen

I took a Raspberry Pi (original/B), got a WiFi dongle, attached a portable USB hard drive, filled the drive with rips from my DVD's, made it it's own WiFi hotspot and setup http://serviio.org/ on it.  This worked amazingly well on long car trips....each child had their own portable device (laptop/ipad/etc) with headphones, and could watch whatever movie they wanted (and fit on the disk).

I can only assume the newer Raspberry Pi's would be easier/handle the load better, so yes, it should work great as a server for you.

mongers

Quote from: Arvoreen on December 05, 2016, 01:37:23 PM
I took a Raspberry Pi (original/B), got a WiFi dongle, attached a portable USB hard drive, filled the drive with rips from my DVD's, made it it's own WiFi hotspot and setup http://serviio.org/ on it.  This worked amazingly well on long car trips....each child had their own portable device (laptop/ipad/etc) with headphones, and could watch whatever movie they wanted (and fit on the disk).

I can only assume the newer Raspberry Pi's would be easier/handle the load better, so yes, it should work great as a server for you.

Thanks for that.

Now I really need to pull my finger out and get one sorted.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

I had an original though never did much with it. U found it couldn't even run youtube properly which.... was less than ideal.
██████
██████
██████

Arvoreen

Quote from: Tyr on December 06, 2016, 02:10:52 AM
I had an original though never did much with it. U found it couldn't even run youtube properly which.... was less than ideal.

Yea, the original was a little under powered, at least to drive it's own display and do the video decoding.  However, it does do a fine job just serving out content.  It even managed to handle 1 or 2 streams of transcoding if necessary, for any conversions necessary so that the kids could watch a video on their device.

I *really* like Serviio, enough that I paid for the license to help support future development (@$25 it is a deal anyways), but even the free version does a great job.  I use it  @ home too, running it in a VM (1 of a dozen or so on my single ESXi host) to act as a central media server for my entire house

derspiess

Quote from: Arvoreen on December 05, 2016, 01:37:23 PM

I might try that with my newer board.  I had one of the original Raspberry Pi's that I played around with but never really found a big use for.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Vricklund

Google apps script killed any plans I had for my Beaglebone black. Back in the day running my own server was my only choice. The cloud hardly existed and if it did, I couldn't afford to pay for it. :)
The Beaglebone now serves as a network logger using rsync. A sad ending for a fine piece of hardware. :(

DontSayBanana

Ugh.  I've got a RPi 1B and a BBB both sitting and collecting dust- just ran out of steam before getting anything going with the Beaglebone and annoyed by gear creep with the Raspberry Pi- wishing I had an HDMI/USB KVM that could handle both my computer and the RPi.
Experience bij!