1st Annual Languish Twilight Struggle Tournament

Started by Berkut, November 21, 2016, 09:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I think we should have started the first tourney with 4-6 people. That's ambitious enough for Languish :D

Eddie Teach

Declare Lettow the winner and start the next one.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Lettow77

I rescind my offer to play- It doesn't seem to have helped, and I have other things I should be doing. It was mostly a humanitarian effort so that CdM might finally get to play a boardgame.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Berkut

OK, so it looks like we are down to ten, which is a workable number in any case. We can do two pools of 5, and work from there.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

OK, so this looks like kind of a cool format for a ten "team" tournament.

Round Robin #1:

Two pools of 5, A and B. Everyone plays everyone else once, and we rank by W/L record.

A1
A2
A3
A4
A5

B1
B2
B3
B4
B5

Then for round 2, we eliminate A4, A5, B4, and B5.

We play an outher Round Robin, but you only play the teams from the other Pool, you don't play your pools teams again. But you do retain your record against those teams, and we see who has the highest overall win total a champion.

Example:

A1: 4-0
A2: 3-1
A3: 2-2
A4: 1-3
A5: 0-4

B1: 3-1
B2: 3-1
B3: 2-2
B4: 1-3
B5: 1-3

For Round 1, the top three from each advance, and play a round robin against the other pool only.

A1 v B3
A2 v B2
A3 v B1

A1 v B2
A2 v B1
A3 v B3

A1 v B1
A2 v B3
A3 v B2

The key here is that each of them go into this second round starting with the record they finished the first round with but only against the actual teams that made it to the second round. So A1 would be 2-0 to start, A2 would be 1-1, etc., etc.

This gives everyone who advances games against everyone else who advances, and you get a result that is nearly a ten team round robin.

As we stand now, with our current rankings, we would have:

A1: Habbaku
A2: solmyr
A3:Berkut
A4: Nels
A5:Drakken

B1: mkiefte
B2: Tamas
B3: sbr
B4: bogh
B5: baron

Format for round 1 would be 1 game against each opponent in your pool, random sides, +2 for the USA, optional cards. Ties go to the US player.

Since this is Round Robin, there isn't any need for Round 1 for me to assign games. Just start up a game against each of the other players in your pool, and post in here the ID# of the game, and who is playing.

0 rows returned

Berkut

If desired, I will put together a four team "losersGIANTLOSERSOFLOSINGLOSERS" single elim tournament for the Round 1 losers. :P

0 rows returned

Tamas

So it's one game per player or two (one for each side)? If yes, what is the expected number of parallel games we are supposed to run? I don't think I can reasonably handle more than 4 games and expect myself to remember what I wanted to do when I get Berkut's turn after 4 days of silence :P

Berkut

One game per player, and you can run as many concurrently as you think you can handle, but I think at least two at once would be good.

Whichever one of you creates it first post the game number, and the other can simply accept once they are ready to start. I would think everyone should be able to get two going however within the next couple of days.

0 rows returned

Tamas

Berkut

Correct.

Optionally, if both players agree, they can bid for sides. But I think the conventional wisdom is that +2 US is very well balanced. I don't think I would be interested in taking the US at +1, or taking the USSR at +3 (although the differences there are probably small enough that card luck vastly trumps them).

0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Berkut

Summary, for those who want to skip the tournament format crap:

For this round we are playing in two pools of 5 players. Goal is to win as many games as possible within your pool, each player will play 4 games, 1 game against each common opponent in your pool!

Default is +2 US influence, random sides, optional cards, no Chinese Civil War.

If you want to play something different, that is between you and your opponent!

Pool A: Habbaku, solmyr, Berkut, Nels, Drakken

Pool B: mkiefte, Tamas, sbr, bogh, Baron

Any player can create the game, but don't accept until you are ready to start playing. In order to get through this in a timely fashion, everyone should play at least two games at once.

Please create a separate post in this thread for each game created including the player names and game ID. Then update that post with the results, including who won, score, and type of victory.

0 rows returned

bogh

Tamas

Tamas

sbr, I would be happy to concede our friendly, and start the proper game