2017 impeachment - because it's never too early

Started by DGuller, November 11, 2016, 10:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on November 15, 2016, 12:04:34 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2016, 11:45:36 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 14, 2016, 11:36:21 PM
I think over the years Languish has been converging to a political center-left (by American standards anyway).  The imbecile right-wingers are either gone or are still being imbeciles, but almost everyone else on the right spectrum  has moved at least a couple of notches to the left.

Fuck you. 

Edmunde Burke remains, as always, my loadstone.
Okay, I'll give you that.  You're the one non-imbecile right-winger who never moved any left.  If anything, maybe you've even moved a bit to the right.

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

I have also moved from definitely left positions to centre-right on a number of issues. So did Hami and (I think) Sheilbh.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2016, 01:33:12 AM
I have also moved from definitely left positions to centre-right on a number of issues. So did Hami and (I think) Sheilbh.

I haven't moved. Still center left liberal.

katmai

Hami is just an asshole, who supported Trump for laughs, Marti on the other hand...
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Hamilcar

Quote from: katmai on November 15, 2016, 02:31:41 AM
Hami is just an asshole, who supported Trump for laughs, Marti on the other hand...

I never supported Trump.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

I never supported Trump either. Saying that Trump is not the Antichrist incarnate to a bunch of morons perceiving the world as a Manichean struggle is not the same as supporting him.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2016, 04:42:29 AM
I never supported Trump either. Saying that Trump is not the Antichrist incarnate to a bunch of morons perceiving the world as a Manichean struggle is not the same as supporting him.

Yeah. That's why you only post things from the alt right / bits demonising the left...because you are so above the binary.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2016, 04:56:28 AM

Yeah. That's why you only post things from the alt right / bits demonising the left...because you are so above the binary.

I try to provide a bit of balance - I actually post a lot of leftist stuff when arguing with people who approach the reality from the right wing perspective. It's just that Languish is so much slanted to the left, it's a virtual echo chamber.

My position on Hillary and Trump has always been this: there are people who, depending on legitimate world views they can adopt (none of which are degenerate or immoral or objectively wrong), can reasonably view Clinton as being better than Trump, Clinton as being as bad as Trump, or Trump as being better than Clinton.

Sadly, most people on this board (and the so-called mainstream media at large) seem to deny intellectual or moral faculty to people who disagree with them.

But, like arguing with a religious convert, I suppose it is very difficult to argue with someone's axioms.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 15, 2016, 05:05:14 AM
Quote from: garbon on November 15, 2016, 04:56:28 AM

I try to provide a bit of balance - I actually post a lot of leftist stuff when arguing with people who approach the reality from the right wing perspective. It's just that Languish is so much slanted to the left, it's a virtual echo chamber.

My position on Hillary and Trump has always been this: there are people who, depending on legitimate world views they can adopt (none of which are degenerate or immoral or objectively wrong), can reasonably view Clinton as being better than Trump, Clinton as being as bad as Trump, or Trump as being better than Clinton.

Sadly, most people on this board (and the so-called mainstream media at large) seem to deny intellectual or moral faculty to people who disagree with them.

But, like arguing with a religious convert, I suppose it is very difficult to argue with someone's axioms.

Oh I get it, you just want to be Mary Contrary.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: saskganesh on November 14, 2016, 11:23:11 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 13, 2016, 05:25:01 PM

You've been gone a long time. I've moved quite far to the left domestically in the last 7 years.
7 years is a very long time.  I guess I missed a few things. :hmm:

I've definitely drifted to the left. I mean I was always pretty much on the left on social issues and now the right really has no credibility on economic issues. Plus the Republicans have finally evolved to their final form of true shamefulness that there's nothing left in that party that I can support.

Martinus

My move to the "right" was largely caused by me being repelled by the mainstream left adopting the "alt left" positions on things such as safe spaces, trigger warnings, language policing and general hostility they seem to hold against various views informed by liberty.

Censorship, enforcement of "right" thinking and generally bullying people for holding unpopular views have always been illiberal positions that used to be imposed by conservatives (and the main reason why I disliked conservatism - and still dislike it in countries like Poland or Russia). The fact that a certain part of the left, upon winning the cultural war, adopted such attitudes in the West was very disappointing (although, in retrospect, not really surprising).

celedhring

I have gravitated towards the centre throughout the years, but I still consider myself pretty solidly left of center. My far-leftism of old has been revealed to be inversely proportional to the far-left's chances of actually being politically significant in Spain.  :hmm:

Martinus

I would say I am centre-to-centre-right by Western European standards, which probably makes me an independent by US standards, and definitely leftist by Polish standards. :P