2017 impeachment - because it's never too early

Started by DGuller, November 11, 2016, 10:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 13, 2016, 02:25:14 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 11, 2016, 10:49:44 PM
From a strictly policy standpoint, Trump is actually the least scary Republican in the lot, since he isn't really a Republican at all.

Exactly. The idea of President Pence is frankly horrifying.

....but the things that make Trump horrifying have nothing to do with policy, so it isn't like he is actually better.

If he decides to nuke Iran because he just doesn't like them, the fact that it isn't motivated by some ideology won't make it any better.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Hamilcar

Quote from: Berkut on November 13, 2016, 02:36:02 PM
If he decides to nuke Iran because he just doesn't like them, the fact that it isn't motivated by some ideology won't make it any better.

I want to believe that the people in the armed forces wouldn't let him do that.

CountDeMoney

The idea of President Pence is frankly horrifying.

Creationism, conversion therapy, and criminalization of abortion?  What could happen?

Berkut

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 13, 2016, 02:38:07 PM

I want to believe that as well, but my wanting doesn't make it so.

Plus, he could very well be well within his rights and powers as POTUS to do so.

Let's imagine another 9/11 size attack on the US, and it is traced back to some radical group somehow connected to Iran.

Nuking them would be a terrible response, but arguably within a President's power to decide to respond with...

I think the military might refuse a clearly ridiculous order to nuke someone, but would they refuse a merely grossly over-reacting order? Or just a bad idea?

What if he was in charge after 9/11, and he decided that the correct response to Afghanistan refusing to hand over bin Laden was not an invasion, but a limited nuclear strike on the Taliban leadership?

That is a rather astoundingly bad idea - but is it clearly illegal and a valid cause for a refusal to follow that order?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Hamilcar

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 13, 2016, 02:45:05 PM
The idea of President Pence is frankly horrifying.

Creationism, conversion therapy, and criminalization of abortion?  What could happen?

US Navy replaced with Arks.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 13, 2016, 08:09:03 AM
The difference was that Siege was the only such loon we had on the right whereas we seem to have many on the left.

Who? Name them. Don't be a bitch if you can help it. God damn it. I remember I asked you to stop this bullshit and you said 'fair enough'. I thought that meant you understood what I was saying, instead it just meant 'fuck you Valmy'. Whatever.

QuoteLearn to live in a democracy, Jesus Christ.

Because talking about an election involving Ted Cruz is anti-Democratic? Despite what you may be hoping for we will get another election in a couple years. :mellow:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Hamilcar on November 13, 2016, 02:38:07 PM

Kinda defeats the purpose of having a military subordinate to civilian rule we have here in Constitutionland.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on November 13, 2016, 03:07:31 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 13, 2016, 02:47:43 PMWho? Name them.

CdM. garbon. Zoupa. Tim.

That's not entirely fair.  Seedy is mostly just trolling us (I think/hope), garbon's not a loon, and Timmay's moronic posting isn't limited to politics.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on November 13, 2016, 02:45:45 PM
Let's imagine another 9/11 size attack on the US, and it is traced back to some radical group somehow connected to Iran.

Considering the Iraq War of 2003, we've established we can pretty much trace anything back to anyone we want and get away with it.

dps

You say that like nuking Iran would be a bad thing.

Oexmelin

Yes it would. It would be a bad thing now. I can't imagine how much of a bad thing it would be in the context of Trump's "foreign policy".
Que le grand cric me croque !

mongers

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 13, 2016, 04:01:37 PM
Yes it would. It would be a bad thing now. I can't imagine how much of a bad thing it would be in the context of Trump's "foreign policy".

Maybe Trumps 'foreign policy' will be foreign to him too?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

saskganesh

Quote from: Martinus on November 13, 2016, 03:07:31 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 13, 2016, 02:47:43 PMWho? Name them.

CdM. garbon. Zoupa. Tim.
Wow. Those guys are only leftists if one is so far to the right, one can't see the centre.

humans were created in their own image