2017 impeachment - because it's never too early

Started by DGuller, November 11, 2016, 10:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

He was legitimately elected.

I suppose the question is how strong is the American Republic?

I think (hope) that it is very strong and can survive 4 years of an unworthy president.

sbr

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 12, 2016, 04:44:40 PM
He was legitimately elected.

I suppose the question is how strong is the American Republic?

I think (hope) that it is very strong and can survive 4 years of an unworthy president.

The America Republic can easily survive an unworthy President, that isn't the problem here.  Trump and his allies have made it clear they have no respect for the rule of law or the Constitution - outside of 1 Amendment - that is the problem.

CountDeMoney

Just going to go ahead and offer apologies for that whole NATO thingy that goes down in Tallinn in 2019.  I mean, hey.  You know how it is.  Nothing personal.  Just business.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 12, 2016, 11:23:24 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 11, 2016, 10:55:41 PM
Thinking about the future I am wondering if the election and what follows might destroy Ted Cruz's support. He might be vulnerable to being primaried. I am watching carefully. There are several prominent but more acceptable Republicans are in this state who might want his job if so...

Interesting.

Well, considering how Cruz is being considered as a potential Supreme Court nominee, he may not have to worry about being primaried. :yeah:

QuoteBut Trump is not being impeached unless whatever he needs to be impeached for leads to a Democratic victory in 2018.

Impeachment.  :lol:  Niggas, please.

I think he could be voted down by a GOP senate just out of spite. Everyone hates him.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

This thread is hillarious. And people were laughing at the birther Republicans thinking of impeaching Obamahitler for coming for everybody's guns and setting up death panels.

The difference was that Siege was the only such loon we had on the right whereas we seem to have many on the left. Learn to live in a democracy, Jesus Christ.

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on November 13, 2016, 08:09:03 AM
This thread is hillarious. And people were laughing at the birther Republicans thinking of impeaching Obamahitler for coming for everybody's guns and setting up death panels.

The difference was that Siege was the only such loon we had on the right whereas we seem to have many on the left. Learn to live in a democracy, Jesus Christ.
We're not discussing the possibility of political losers accomplishing something by the impeachment that they failed to accomplish during the elections.  We're discussing the possibility of an internal party coup.  If Trump will be impeached, it would be mainly at the hands of Republicans, not Democrats.

CountDeMoney

For fuck'es sake, there will be no "internal party coup."  Everybody will get what they want.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 13, 2016, 09:57:29 AM
For fuck'es sake, there will be no "internal party coup."  Everybody will get what they want.

Yep, wishful thinking, just like those petitions trying to get Republican electors to vote for Hilary Clinton.

I wouldn't rule out Trump eventually doing something so outrageous that public pressure forces the Republicans in Congress to look at impeachment, but that hasn't happened yet, and probably won't.

CountDeMoney

I will ironically note, however, that members of Congress from McCaul in Texas to Johnson in Wisconsin had stated for weeks before the election that if Clinton were elected, she would most likely face impeachment proceedings immediately.   

So, there you go, AIDs magnet.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on November 13, 2016, 10:01:33 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 13, 2016, 09:57:29 AM

Yep, wishful thinking, just like those petitions trying to get Republican electors to vote for Hilary Clinton.

I wouldn't rule out Trump eventually doing something so outrageous that public pressure forces the Republicans in Congress to look at impeachment, but that hasn't happened yet, and probably won't.
I'm not sure I'm wishing for it, only because Trump by his unpredictable nature can act as a check on GOP power.  I guess it depends on how much of a Yanukovych Trump turns out to be. 

As far as domestic policy goes, generic GOP is as catastrophic as disasters go:  it's both incredibly malevolent and incredibly stupid.  Thanks to 2010 electoral debacle for the Democrats, we already see what results from unchecked GOP control at state level:  destruction or suborning of democratic institutions, voter suppression, and disastrous economic agenda.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 13, 2016, 10:07:26 AM

I will ironically note, however, that members of Congress from McCaul in Texas to Johnson in Wisconsin had stated for weeks before the election that if Clinton were elected, she would most likely face impeachment proceedings immediately.   

I am not saying there are no idiots on both sides of the aisle. I am just saying that while Siege is the only representative of such idiots we have on Languish on the Republican side, we seem to have a plethora of those on the Democratic side.

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on November 13, 2016, 10:41:39 AM

I am not saying there are no idiots on both sides of the aisle. I am just saying that while Siege is the only representative of such idiots we have on Languish on the Republican side, we seem to have a plethora of those on the Democratic side.

Oh, I think we have at least one more on the Republican side.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

dps

Quote from: Berkut on November 13, 2016, 12:05:51 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 13, 2016, 10:41:39 AM

Oh, I think we have at least one more on the Republican side.

Who did you have in mind?

Hamilcar

Quote from: Berkut on November 11, 2016, 10:49:44 PM
From a strictly policy standpoint, Trump is actually the least scary Republican in the lot, since he isn't really a Republican at all.

Exactly. The idea of President Pence is frankly horrifying.