What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

QuoteREPORTER: Can you explain why you decided not to wear a mask?

TRUMP: "Well I did wear -- I had one on before. I wore one in this back area. But I didn't want to give the press the pleasure of seeing it."

R: But the executives are wearing them.

TRUMP: "That's their choice."

https://t.co/WuNFNrYkxm
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-praises-henry-fords-good-bloodlines-at-michigan-ppe-event-2020-5?r=DE&IR=T

QuoteTrump praises Henry Ford's 'good bloodlines' while touring Michigan manufacturing plant

In an off-teleprompter riff Thursday, President Donald Trump praised Henry Ford's "blood lines" during a tour of a Ford manufacturing facility in Ypsilanti, Mich.

The visit was ostensibly about the company producing personal protective equipment (PPE) to help with the nation's coronavirus response.

In the middle of reading a line about the history of the company, Trump veered off topic during his introductory remarks.

"The company founded by a man named Henry Ford," Trump said. "Good blood lines, good blood lines, if you believe in that stuff, you've got good blood."

Trump has talked about genes and family heritage many times before, such as when he recalled his late uncle being an MIT professor and how that means he intuitively understands medicine during an early coronavirus briefing.

Some commenters online were quick to point out Ford's legacy of anti-Semitism.

During World War II, Ford's company collaborated with the Nazi regime by producing vehicles for them, along with General Motors.

Ford also published anti-Semitic writings, such as in 1918 when he ran a series of articles in four volumes on "The International Jew."

It is unclear whether Trump was aware of the history when he made the comments.

The White House did not immediately return a request for comment.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Yugely off the scale! Like no president before! 

Sheilbh

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 22, 2020, 01:11:29 AM
TRUMP STRONG!

MASK WEAK!

TRUMP SMASH!
Seems like he's not alone in this:

Bolsonaro too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Wearing a mask is surrendering to fear. Things these strong man will go to enormous length to not appear to be.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

It's still a huge difference between UK (and Northern Europe) and the rest of the world. Guidance here is still that masks aren't much use in general, but you should use them if you're in a crowded enclosed space like public transport. But in the workplace for example, unless you needed to wear masks/PPE before the crisis, it's unlikely you need to require employees to wear them now.

Of course, I'm a mask truther so I wear a mask whenever I leave the house :ph34r:  :Embarrass:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 22, 2020, 08:02:05 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on May 22, 2020, 01:11:29 AM
TRUMP STRONG!

MASK WEAK!

TRUMP SMASH!
Seems like he's not alone in this:

Bolsonaro too.

Xi wore a mask in his Wuhan photo-ops.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on May 22, 2020, 03:19:45 AM
https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-praises-henry-fords-good-bloodlines-at-michigan-ppe-event-2020-5?r=DE&IR=T

QuoteTrump praises Henry Ford's 'good bloodlines' while touring Michigan manufacturing plant

In an off-teleprompter riff Thursday, President Donald Trump praised Henry Ford's "blood lines" during a tour of a Ford manufacturing facility in Ypsilanti, Mich.

The visit was ostensibly about the company producing personal protective equipment (PPE) to help with the nation's coronavirus response.

In the middle of reading a line about the history of the company, Trump veered off topic during his introductory remarks.

"The company founded by a man named Henry Ford," Trump said. "Good blood lines, good blood lines, if you believe in that stuff, you've got good blood."

Trump has talked about genes and family heritage many times before, such as when he recalled his late uncle being an MIT professor and how that means he intuitively understands medicine during an early coronavirus briefing.

During World War II, Ford's company collaborated with the Nazi regime by producing vehicles for them, along with General Motors.

Ford also published anti-Semitic writings, such as in 1918 when he ran a series of articles in four volumes on "The International Jew."

Yeah, Trump is a eugenicist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on May 22, 2020, 03:19:45 AM

To be fair, both Ford AG and GM/Opel were taken over by the German government in September 1939, so Ford didn't really "[collaborate] with the Nazi regime by producing vehicles for them."  Ford did express admiration for Hitler before the war, though, and Hitler congratulated Ford on the publishing of his antisemitic tracts.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Yeah I mean Hitler cited Ford in Mein Kampf and had a huge portrait of Ford in his office in the 20s.

Edit: Also were they really taken over in 1939, not 1941? That seems provocative - but it sort of makes sense.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

QuoteIt is unclear whether Trump was aware of the history when he made the comments.

Let me clear that up for anyone wondering... he wasn't aware. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 22, 2020, 12:54:14 PM
Yeah I mean Hitler cited Ford in Mein Kampf and had a huge portrait of Ford in his office in the 20s.

Edit: Also were they really taken over in 1939, not 1941? That seems provocative - but it sort of makes sense.

I wonder how the factories got to Germany in the first place...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

The nazis were indeed fans of Ford.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Ford
QuoteIn July 1938, before the outbreak of war, the German consul at Cleveland gave Ford, on his 75th birthday, the award of the Grand Cross of the German Eagle, the highest medal Nazi Germany could bestow on a foreigner.[67] James D. Mooney, vice president of overseas operations for General Motors, received a similar medal, the Merit Cross of the German Eagle, First Class.

—Stephen Jay Gould