What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Are you making fun of the President's impressive, nay, perfect shits?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on December 08, 2019, 12:01:43 PM
So, the President says people have to flush 10, 15 times till their poop goes down, so he has to deregulate water suppliers?

Ed would have said "yes".   :(

alfred russel

Quote from: katmai on December 05, 2019, 12:44:27 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2019, 12:10:07 AM
Any guesses on what Canadian products will be hit with tariffs?
maple syrup and .... I don't know what else they export besides actors and comedians.

God save us all if Trump threatens our supply of Mike Myers and Nickelback...
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Here's a fun twist: remember the Steele dossier? The report that mentions the "pee tape"?

Well it turns out Christopher Steele the author was friends with no one less than Ivanka years before the 2016 election.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/dossier-author-chris-steele-met-ivanka-trump-years/story?id=67597270
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

That's another one where I don't get how the Trumpists are "winning" the rhetorical war.  Fusion GPS was hired by the Ted Cruz campaign who originally commissioned the dossier; Steele had a pretty good rep in that line of business, the dossier itself has been well corroborated as to most details.  Even with respect to the infamous "pee" allegation, there was partial corroboration as to his stay in the hotel (denied by Trump who lied about his travel records).  The dossier was not used as the basis for the FBI investigation, which commenced before the FBI got access to the memo.

In any rational world, Trump should be on the defensive and trying to hide all mentions of the dossier instead of using it in service of his wacko conspiracy theories.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

But we're living in a world where, for the GOP and their hardcore supporters, staying in power and sticking it to the Dems is more important than... well, anything else, really.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

frunk

Quote from: Syt on December 10, 2019, 01:00:16 AM
But we're living in a world where, for the GOP and their hardcore supporters, staying in power and sticking it to the Dems is more important than... well, anything else, really.

We're in an era of propaganda over truth for a large part of the population, which once again invites comparisons to the 1930s.

Tamas

Quote from: frunk on December 10, 2019, 07:13:03 AM

We're in an era of propaganda over truth for a large part of the population, which once again invites comparisons to the 1930s.

No, it's tribalism.

The GOP supporters know full well the excuses for the many Trump idiocies/crimes are total BS. They just don't care.

Admiral Yi

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/09/politics/takeaways-doj-ig-report/index.html

DOJ Inspector General says no deep state re original Russia interference probe, Attorney General Barr says bullshit.

I really thought Barr was going to be a lot more professional when he was first appointed.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2019, 01:42:19 PM
I really thought Barr was going to be a lot more professional when he was first appointed.

Trump wouldn't make the same mistake twice on that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Yeah. I think he can sniff out "guard-rails" by now.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

So apperantly, Trump wants a big show-trial in the Senate.  He wants Adam Schiff, Hunter Biden, Joe Biden, and Nancy Pelosi to testify.  McConnell isn't so keen on this.  I don't think you can even subpoena members of Congress, and if they can the House can just subpoena people in the Senate in retaliation.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 10, 2019, 02:28:03 PM
Yeah. I think he can sniff out "guard-rails" by now.

What does this mean?  A variation on "the opposition?"

Sheilbh

Quote from: frunk on December 10, 2019, 07:13:03 AM

I don't think it's propaganda. I think it's cynicism and doubt, which if you have it on everything ("why is this lying liar lying to me?") is deeply corrosive. Not least because if you're cynical and doubt everything you get to feel smarter than everyone else.

There was a fake news scandal just today in our election. Long story short: boy was in a hospital and was sleeping on the floor because they were out of beds. It was blowing up as a story and causing issues for Johnson. Then there's a screenshot of stories from nurses saying it was set up by the paper. Cue a day of commentary on that before the original journalists, the hospital and the family confirm it was a real photo.

One of the leading (conservative-backing) journalists who had pushed the "fake story" angle, then responds by basically saying it may have been a true story, but nurses questioned aspects of the photo - so there were questions to answer and it should be discussed.

It's not propaganda - I sort of feel like it might be worse.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

It's a failure of democracy, and the veterans will take control and uphold a stability that will last generations.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.