What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

No one talks of Trump's Messiah's complex?  He is now considered the Second coming* by Israeli Jews, apparently...

*Yes, he is THAT powerful.  They're now all Jews for Jesus ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 21, 2019, 06:08:06 PM
The problem is:

Either the pronouncements of the President of the United States mean nothing. Or they ought to be nothing. In which case, you want a strong, high-profile Congress, who is able to frame those declaration in a relevant political context - i.e., able to say, pay no attention to the ramblings of the crazy old man. We all know we run this country, as it should be. 

Or, the pronouncements of the President of the United States carry considerable meaning, by virtue of being uttered by the President of the United States. In which case, they are incredibly important, and carry remarkable strength in remaking the political makeup of the country. The fact that they are crazy ramblings is important, not because of their content, but because they are crazy ramblings.

Or, the pronouncements of the President of the United States mean nothing, and Congress means nothing. Which means that power is being exercised elsewhere, at a place that remains unidentified, by men and women who remain unaccountable.

Since politics is about ascribing responsibility, none of these options are especially encouraging about the state of democracy.

I don't understand, why does Congress mean nothing if Trump's words mean nothing? Also, it should be possible that not all utterances of his are meaningful.

Also, I fail to see, apart from an entertainment factor, what use there is in many articles and many discussions about Trump's spats with his former director of communications or his nonsensical tweets about Greenland/Denmark. What's that getting us but a distraction for policies that are actually being enforced/put into place?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on August 22, 2019, 06:44:48 AM
No one talks of Trump's Messiah's complex?  He is now considered the Second coming* by Israeli Jews, apparently...

*Yes, he is THAT powerful.  They're now all Jews for Jesus ;)

This would be another example.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

garbon is right.

Bad economic data from the US. Expect more raving tweets about nonsense tonight.

garbon

Habbaku

Government to business pipeline keeps at it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Or is it business to government? Fox News seems to be running the United States now.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 22, 2019, 11:33:48 AM
Or is it business to government? Fox News seems to be running the United States now.

I thought the President was down on them for not being pro-him enough.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on August 22, 2019, 11:38:34 AM
I thought the President was down on them for not being pro-him enough.
I think they corrected him on that.

Oexmelin

At this point, the script calls for the introduction of a beautiful, younger new network that will threaten the relationship - but no! they still love each other, and no one will come between them.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

He is now considered the Second coming* by Israeli Jews, apparently...

For Jews it would still be the first coming.  :contract:

The Minsky Moment

Watch them trot out Billy Graham's son, etc.  to explain this latest blasphemy is just peachy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 22, 2019, 02:28:17 PM
He is now considered the Second coming* by Israeli Jews, apparently...

For Jews it would still be the first coming.  :contract:
I know ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

FunkMonk

Donald tweeted that he has "hereby ordered" all US companies to "look for alternatives to China" and asked if the Fed Chairman is a greater enemy than Xi Jinping.

:hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.