What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

This might be the signal that they're done having them.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on June 13, 2019, 04:25:20 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 13, 2019, 04:20:18 PM
I wonder how much that position pays.  :hmm:

When is the last time they had a press conference? Will they even bother replacing her?

They've had impromptu ones with Trump himself this week.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

The Brain

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 13, 2019, 02:49:41 PM
I think some damage might be permanent.  How can foreign governments take any agreement made with the United States seriously after witnessing Trump murder every agreement Obama made?  The problem began with Congress under McConnell refusing to participate in any legitimate legislative efforts which in turn led to Obama passing things via Executive Order.  Now that Executive Order option has made a leap in its powers along with the overall power of the Executive Branch.  The ability of the United States to stand by any agreements made seems to be at the whim of the President and relies on no further Trump types taking office.  I don't like the odds of that.

It's almost as if *gasp* putting a human stool sample in the Oval Office was a poor idea. :o
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 12, 2019, 10:14:29 PM
That wouldn't be collusion.

No but it is a violation of federal election law.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 13, 2019, 05:35:14 PM
No but it is a violation of federal election law.

The "accept" part, the "not alert" part, or both?

The Minsky Moment

Solicitation is sufficient.

The Mueller report made the point that solicitation or acceptance of oppo "dirt" would, under current case law, constitute a "thing of value" sufficient to trigger criminal liability.  It did go on to question the extent to which a prosecution on such grounds could withstand First Amendment scrutiny, although that law has already been sustained against a similar constitutional challenge.  The main reason Mueller did not prosecute on that ground was because it found the President's people were ignorant of the law - a too dumb to prosecute defense.  But I don't think Trump can credibly claim ignorance of the law over this anymore.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 13, 2019, 05:59:41 PM
Solicitation is sufficient.

The Mueller report made the point that solicitation or acceptance of oppo "dirt" would, under current case law, constitute a "thing of value" sufficient to trigger criminal liability.  It did go on to question the extent to which a prosecution on such grounds could withstand First Amendment scrutiny, although that law has already been sustained against a similar constitutional challenge.  The main reason Mueller did not prosecute on that ground was because it found the President's people were ignorant of the law - a too dumb to prosecute defense.  But I don't think Trump can credibly claim ignorance of the law over this anymore.

How could Manafort be too ignorant to prosecute on that matter?  He was a lobbyist and a political operative for 40 years.  If anyone should know what was legal and what was not, it should be him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 13, 2019, 04:10:09 PM
I. Heart Huckabee is stepping down as press secretary.

Yeah, well she's fucked.  The Mueller report stated that she confessed to  just making up shit on the spot.  She claims that this is a lie and not what she told Mueller's people.  The Dems are going to get their hands on the interviews sooner or later.  Hell there might be audio.  She will probably want to bail out before that happens rather than be kicked out after that happens.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on June 13, 2019, 06:53:14 PM
How could Manafort be too ignorant to prosecute on that matter?

I don't know - the report contains one line on this saying that although Manafort is experienced on political campaigns, "the Office has not developed evidence showing that he had relevant knowledge of these issues."  It's inconceivable Manafort didn't know the foreign solicitation rules. For some reason Mueller's team didn't want to bring this charge but I can't figure out why.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on June 13, 2019, 06:57:56 PM
Yeah, well she's fucked.  The Mueller report stated that she confessed to  just making up shit on the spot.  She claims that this is a lie and not what she told Mueller's people.  The Dems are going to get their hands on the interviews sooner or later.  Hell there might be audio.  She will probably want to bail out before that happens rather than be kicked out after that happens.

The citation is to a Form 302 interview memo.  An FBI agent takes notes and then collates and summarizes the notes into the 302 memo.  It is not a verbatim transcript so Sanders has some wriggle room to claim that the agent misunderstood her statement or transcribed it wrong.  It is very unlikely that happened, but her partisans will believe her.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Joan, how certain are you about your conclusions?  I've heard many times that "ignorance is no defense," your quote about "relevant knowledge" doesn't specify knowledge about which issues, and Mueller, at least according to the headline summary, exonerated Trump of colluding with Russia, even after he specifically asked them to hack Hilary's server.

Berkut

He did not exonerate trump of collusion.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Is ignorance of the law a defense in the US?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

One thing that hasnt changed under Trump is America's lackluster ability at forging casus belli.

This idiocy with the tankers is even lamer than that poor warship that exploded in Havana conveniently after months of the US gunning for war with Spain.