What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on July 13, 2018, 11:06:07 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 13, 2018, 08:31:22 AM
I know I should be flabbergasted at everything he's said, but for some reason I can't get past the fact that an US president has given an exclusive interview - of all British media - to the friggin' Sun  :lol:

The Sun is owned by his good buddy Rupert Murdoch.

Rupert Murdoch is one of the people most responsible for the current unraveling.

Razgovory

Well, another series of indictments always brings a smile to my face.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2018, 12:38:34 PM
Well, another series of indictments always brings a smile to my face.

I dunno - using domestic court indictments against intelligence agents seems like trying to use a hammer to turn a screw - not the right tool for the job.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2018, 04:24:59 PM
What is the right tool?

Sanctions, diplomacy - various foreign policy tools.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on July 13, 2018, 04:53:55 PM

I'm sure the Trump administration will get right on that...

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on July 13, 2018, 04:53:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 13, 2018, 04:24:59 PM
What is the right tool?

Traditionally we've just charged spies with espionage.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on July 13, 2018, 12:47:40 PM
I dunno - using domestic court indictments against intelligence agents seems like trying to use a hammer to turn a screw - not the right tool for the job.

What harm is done by adding domestic court indictments to the tool box?  Are you arguing that using domestic court indictments against intelligence agents prevents the Feds from using the tools you would prefer to see them use?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Even in the middle of WW2, the US initiated criminal prosecutions of foreign agents and saboteurs, so there is precedent for this.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I'm getting the distinct impression that Trump didn't quite win over the British public.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2018, 07:17:59 PM
I'm getting the distinct impression that Trump didn't quite win over the British public.

I figure there is a minority of each western country that liked him. Whatever their version of the UKIP or AfD is.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Another one for the Brits:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-britain-robinson/trumps-ambassador-lobbied-britain-on-behalf-of-jailed-right-wing-activist-tommy-robinson-idUSKBN1K331J

QuoteTrump's ambassador lobbied Britain on behalf of jailed right-wing activist Tommy Robinson

LONDON (Reuters) - Sam Brownback, the U.S. Ambassador for International Religious Freedom, complained to the British ambassador in Washington D.C. about the treatment of an English right-wing activist who is in jail for disrupting a trial, according to three sources familiar with the discussion.

Brownback raised the case of the activist known as Tommy Robinson in a June meeting with Sir Kim Darroch, Britain's Ambassador to the United States, according to a British official and two sources close to the organizers of a pro-Robinson demonstration planned for London on Saturday.

Robinson, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, though he also uses other aliases, is a founder of the English Defense League, which has organized violent demonstrations against Islamic immigrants in the UK in the past decade. More recently, Robinson has branded himself a journalist and campaigner against Islamic extremism, a move that won him contacts with American anti-Muslim activists.

Robinson was arrested in late May outside a courthouse in Leeds, England, while making video recordings about a trial related to child molestation and jailed for 13 months for violating English law limiting publicity during criminal trials.

Brownback raised the jailing of Robinson during a meeting with Darroch that covered a range of "religious freedom issues", the British official confirmed earlier this week.

Brownback told Darroch that if Britain did not treat Robinson more sympathetically, the Trump administration might be compelled to criticize Britain's handling of the case, according to the two sources in contact with organizers of the planned pro-Robinson demonstration.

The sources said Robinson's supporters, who have also been in touch with the Trump administration about the issue, were concerned that he could be attacked by other prisoners.

Reuters was unable to determine why the top U.S. official responsible for defending religious freedom would try to intervene with the British government on behalf of an activist who has expressed anti-Islamic views.

Brownback, who is a former governor of Kansas and former U.S. senator, was not available for comment. However, on Thursday a U.S. State Department spokesman said the "characterizations" of Brownback's meeting with Darroch by Reuters sources were "completely false" but the spokesman did not elaborate further.

The British Embassy had no comment on further details of the discussion.

Last week, the Middle East Forum, a Philadelphia group, said it was sponsoring and organizing a "Free Tommy Robinson" demonstration in London near the British Parliament on Saturday in collaboration with British and European groups.

The event was expected to merge with a demonstration in support of U.S. President Donald Trump, who appointed Brownback, according to the British newspaper The Independent.

Demonstration organizers said in a leaflet which circulated in London this week that Republican U.S. Congressman Paul Gosar and Dutch far-right leader Geert Wilders were scheduled to speak at its rally. U.S. Congressman Gosar did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

But Wilders tweeted on Thursday that he would not attend the rally because the U.K. Ambassador to the Netherlands, Peter Williams, told Dutch authorities Britain would not provide security for him.

British police said they were imposing restrictions on the event to "prevent serious disruptions" after protesters at a previous event made Nazi salutes and threw bottles at officers.

A spokesman for Hope Not Hate, a British anti-racism group, said, "In the week President Trump comes to the UK, his hand-picked diplomat allying himself with a far-right convicted fraudster perhaps shouldn't be too much of a shock."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2018, 09:14:45 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2018, 07:17:59 PM

I figure there is a minority of each western country that liked him. Whatever their version of the UKIP or AfD is.
I think the AfD does not like Trump, but they sure like him destroying the liberal institutions that built the West.

celedhring

The Spanish far right does like Trump. Heck, they even got Bannon to show up in an event some months ago, and they stole the MAGA motto for the 2016 Spanish general election ("Hagamos España Grande Otra Vez!"). They got a grand total of zero seats and less than 1% of the vote, so it didn't make them much good.

Zanza

Trump called the EU a foe today, listing it with China and Russia.