What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on April 24, 2018, 02:03:05 PM
Politeness is taking care not to accidentally or incidentally offend someone.

Political correctness is trying to encourage others to take care not to accidentally or incidentally offend someone.  At it's extreme, political correctness is trying to force others to take care not to accidentally or incidentally or in any other way offend someone.

I think there is an added element of PC that involves going out and finding offense, even when it is clear none was intended. A search for something to be offended by...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Which would be the extreme, not the core aspect of political correctness.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

Being polite to people who are different from you.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on April 24, 2018, 05:39:38 PM
Being polite to people who are different from you.

So if I quietly listened to the ravings of that gay alt-right provacateur, I would be demonstrating the core principle of political correctness?

Maximus

Fair enough.  Amend that to "not being impolite because someone is different from you"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on April 24, 2018, 06:05:00 PM
Fair enough.  Amend that to "not being impolite because someone is different from you"

That's the same thing.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 24, 2018, 06:48:13 PM

That's the same thing.

I think there's a difference between "things people say" and "things people are".

That said, I don't think the essence of political correctness is "being polite." I think it's "being concerned about people straying outside of politically acceptable parameters in the specific context."

It is, of course, being used as a rhetorical device to frame progressive policy objectives as excessive and to paint being in favour of non-bigoted treatment of minorities as somehow extreme.

In practice we can easily find examples of extreme adherence to political correctness on the political right with any number of off-nuance statements on gun or abortion or religion resulting in severe career damage. There's also the whole "don't say bad things about the armed forces" thing which seems to be a form of political correctness agreed on across the political spectrum in the US.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2018, 12:51:58 PM
I'm not sure. I think in the past someone could talk about fags/terrible homosexuals and n-words and still be considered polite.

When was this? Those words were always vulgar even when they were used on a regular basis.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on April 24, 2018, 07:10:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2018, 12:51:58 PM
I'm not sure. I think in the past someone could talk about fags/terrible homosexuals and n-words and still be considered polite.

When was this? Those words were always vulgar even when they were used on a regular basis.

Oh, you sweet summer child. The 70's was full of salty talk.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on April 24, 2018, 07:07:23 PM
There's also the whole "don't say bad things about the armed forces" thing which seems to be a form of political correctness agreed on across the political spectrum in the US.

What sort of bad things should we be saying about the armed forces? I mean we absolutely shit all over the politicians who gave them the orders and discuss how they are carrying out their mission. I mean I don't really see the need for personal insults.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 24, 2018, 07:11:36 PM
Oh, you sweet summer child. The 70's was full of salty talk.

Oh yes they were. I mean people say 'fuck' all the time now but it is generally not considered 'polite' to say so.

Or maybe it is in your foul corner of the world  :P

Admiral Yi

I think it's "being concerned about people straying outside of politically acceptable parameters in the specific context."

That's generic enough that it doesn't disagree with my original description.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 24, 2018, 08:07:31 PM
I think it's "being concerned about people straying outside of politically acceptable parameters in the specific context."

That's generic enough that it doesn't disagree with my original description.

I think you and I may be in agreement. It's difficult to tell sometimes...

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 24, 2018, 06:48:13 PM

That's the same thing.
It's not.  The reason is relevant.