What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on February 22, 2018, 12:13:07 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 22, 2018, 11:12:36 AM
Indeed. Even the Google link provided shows it's clearly the "Law of holes".

Really?  That's the conclusion you reached from reading the results of the search?

Wow.

I was introduced to that adage by 1990s Canadian Reform Party leader Preston Manning, who used it repeatedly in discussing the national debt (the hole) and deficits (continuing to dig).  I never knew it had wider usage.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2018, 11:00:06 AM
That's an old, old, old adage - but I've never heard of it referred to as "the first rule of holes".

But it is easier to type out the google search than to type out a post saying that you don't know what it means, so presumably you'd do the former.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

Quote from: Habbaku on February 22, 2018, 11:12:36 AM
Indeed. Even the Google link provided shows it's clearly the "Law of holes".

Really?  That's the conclusion you reached from reading the results of the search?

Wow.

Really? That's the conclusion you reached from reading my post?

Wow.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2018, 12:17:50 PM
I was introduced to that adage by 1990s Canadian Reform Party leader Preston Manning, who used it repeatedly in discussing the national debt (the hole) and deficits (continuing to dig).  I never knew it had wider usage.

It's quite a useful concept.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on February 22, 2018, 12:24:01 PM

Wow.

Really? That's the conclusion you reached from reading my post?

Wow.

Are you suffering a stroke right now?  :huh:

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

alfred russel

Pro tip: don't ask random people about stroking on the internet.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Grey Fox

Quote from: grumbler on February 22, 2018, 10:23:38 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 22, 2018, 09:02:02 AM
Wait, what's the first rule of holes? I've never heard of this. :hmm:

Is it don't be one?  :lol:

In the internet age, ignorance isn't something to boast about.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22First+Rule+of+Holes%22

It's more fun that way. Also, I am at work, we have crazy deep monitoring, I ain't going to google "holes".
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 22, 2018, 12:45:40 PM
It's more fun that way. Also, I am at work, we have crazy deep monitoring, I ain't going to google "holes".

I'm guessing "holes" has some meaning in French than in English?  Because, in English, the word wouldn't upset any monitors.

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on February 22, 2018, 12:51:15 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 22, 2018, 12:45:40 PM

I'm guessing "holes" has some meaning in French than in English?  Because, in English, the word wouldn't upset any monitors.

Go to google image search, turn off the filtering of results, and search for the word "holes".
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on February 22, 2018, 12:57:14 PM
Go to google image search, turn off the filtering of results, and search for the word "holes".

Why would I search images for the meaning of a word or phrase?

I showed the board the result of googling for "First Rule of Holes."  In English, there is nothing there that would offend.  Apparently, that's not true in French.

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

I am not taking any chances, in either language.

(I work for an American company & everything I work with is in english.)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 22, 2018, 01:07:28 PM

Iesus Christos! :o
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 22, 2018, 01:07:28 PM
I am not taking any chances, in either language.

So, no Googling at your company?  Any Google search is taking a chance.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Bayraktar!