Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Solmyr on May 31, 2020, 01:31:11 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 31, 2020, 05:12:05 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on May 31, 2020, 03:51:52 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 30, 2020, 11:07:45 PM
So, let's say Trump loses the election.

Will he actually leave office, or will he cry foul and hang on as long as he can?

If he leaves office, how much scorched earth will he create during the transition?

You assume there will be an election.

I can't see why the military would support him in an attempted coup.

If the entire federal government supports him, will the military rebel?

All he has to do is declare some emergency based on the epidemic (which will very likely have a harsh second wave in fall) and postpone the election "in the interests of public safety" or some such. I'm sure Bill Barr will advise him on ways to make it sound legal. At this point, the political conditions in the US are such that I can totally imagine something like this being considered and attempted.

Great, but there isn't actually a legal mechanism for it.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/21/21188152/trump-cancel-november-election-constitution-coronavirus
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 31, 2020, 02:07:14 PM
It is not a waste of time.

I'd argue it isn't a good use of time to drive oneself to depression.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Will he actually leave office, or will he cry foul and hang on as long as he can?

If he leaves office, how much scorched earth will he create during the transition?

All he has to do is declare some emergency based on the epidemic (which will very likely have a harsh second wave in fall) and postpone the election "in the interests of public safety" or some such. I'm sure Bill Barr will advise him on ways to make it sound legal. At this point, the political conditions in the US are such that I can totally imagine something like this being considered and attempted.

Exactly. I think the likeliest scenario is a normal (ha!) election, but if the above happens I won't be at all surprised.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on May 31, 2020, 05:00:30 PM
Exactly. I think the likeliest scenario is a normal (ha!) election, but if the above happens I won't be at all surprised.

Trump won't be president after January 20, 2021 in the absence of elections.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

What if Jar-Jar Binks asks the senate to grant the president emergency powers? I've seen that in a documentary once. :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on May 31, 2020, 10:44:26 PM
What if Jar-Jar Binks asks the senate to grant the president emergency powers? I've seen that in a documentary once. :hmm:

Fortunately it would also need to pass the House.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on May 31, 2020, 08:18:38 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 31, 2020, 05:00:30 PM

Trump won't be president after January 20, 2021 in the absence of elections.

Trump is require to respond to subpoenas from the House.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Valmy on May 31, 2020, 10:50:23 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 31, 2020, 10:44:26 PM

Fortunately it would also need to pass the House.

Perhaps he could have the Pope crown him Emperor instead. :frog:
Or, given that this is America, have Jerry Falwell crown him.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

I suspect the protests and rioting that will occur after either Donald cancels the election or loses the election and then fails to concede will dwarf whatever is happening now.

Come to think of it, the protests and rioting will be yuge if he wins too. That's the United States of America in the year 2020. Laid low by an incredibly lucky simpleton.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Solmyr

Quote from: garbon on May 31, 2020, 04:52:41 PM

Great, but there isn't actually a legal mechanism for it.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/21/21188152/trump-cancel-november-election-constitution-coronavirus

Since when did Trump let that stop him?

The President is above the law according to him and his AG. And probably soon according to the SCOTUS as well.

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on June 01, 2020, 03:16:09 AM
Since when did Trump let that stop him?

The President is above the law according to him and his AG. And probably soon according to the SCOTUS as well.

The President believing things doesn't create the legal obligation to, or legal protection from, others acting illegally according to his orders.  Remember that all of the sworn members of the government, including the military, are sworn above all else to support the Constitution:
QuoteThe Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."
— U.S. Constitution, Article VI, clause 3

All members of the US military and naval forces, and of the National Guard, also swear, first and foremost, to support and defend the US Constitution.  It's not like WW2 Germany, where the military swore a personal oath to Adolf Hitler.  If the president of the US sets aside the constitution, his government is full to bursting with people whose sworn duty it would become to bring him down.

Anyone actually following Trump's orders in the aftermath of his overthrowing the constitution would be breaking the law and perhaps committing treason.  No one is going to risk that on the off chance that Trump's coup might work.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!