What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on March 28, 2020, 12:01:45 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on March 28, 2020, 10:08:36 AM
Seriously. Now you have governors trying to decide how exactly they should flatter the man in order to get vital supplies and federal help. And this man's approval is still 49%? And the GOP is still complicit with this abuse, this gross corruption of the republic?

What a fucked up country.
It's a death cult.  If people in death cults can be convinced to commit mass suicide, they can definitely be convinced to follow Trump.  I don't think any country is immune to it, US just happens to be the one going through it right now.

It goes much deeper than that. All the flaws in the American system are being exposed, your lack of social benefits, the way you deliver health care to your citizens and your political system that is designed to be dysfunctional.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on March 28, 2020, 02:15:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 28, 2020, 12:57:22 PM
your political system that is designed to be dysfunctional.

:rolleyes:

What is the rolling of the eyes all about.  We have had many American posters here proclaim their system to be superior because it is difficult for government to get anything done.  Not the best model when you actually need government to act.

Razgovory

The president has admitted to trying to keep states who's governors failed to show sufficient "appreciation" to Trump from getting supplies.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Whose.

I've given up on expecting any type of leadership from Trump.  <_<
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

This is not about a lack of leadership.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Eddie Teach

Six of one, half dozen of another. /shrug

Sheilbh

It's a little more murder-y than just a lack of leadership though, surely?
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2020, 05:01:47 PM
The president has admitted to trying to keep states who's governors failed to show sufficient "appreciation" to Trump from getting supplies.

I hope he's happy about loosing those states in November.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 28, 2020, 05:35:04 PM
It's a little more murder-y than just a lack of leadership though, surely?

I don't think it's substantially different from how he's governed his entire term. As I don't expect Congress/courts will let him direct where the money goes, it's hard to draw up fresh outrage.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: The Larch on March 28, 2020, 05:39:31 PM

He was already going to lose most of those states. I think Michigan is the only he's adversarial towards that's in play in the election.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Larch

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 28, 2020, 06:19:22 PM
Quote from: The Larch on March 28, 2020, 05:39:31 PM

He was already going to lose most of those states. I think Michigan is the only he's adversarial towards that's in play in the election.

That's the one I was mostly thinking about when I posted, which other states is he antagonizing? Besides NY, that is.

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 28, 2020, 02:48:06 PM
What is the rolling of the eyes all about.  We have had many American posters here proclaim their system to be superior because it is difficult for government to get anything done.  Not the best model when you actually need government to act.

I don't agree with that.  The system is capable of vigorous action and transformation when a consensus exists.  That's how 2 trillion could get allocated in days. But the blocking mechanisms also serve a purpose when there is a flawed executive. Imagine what shape the US would be in now if Trump was assured of legislative backing.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 28, 2020, 11:43:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 28, 2020, 02:48:06 PM

I don't agree with that.  The system is capable of vigorous action and transformation when a consensus exists.  That's how 2 trillion could get allocated in days. But the blocking mechanisms also serve a purpose when there is a flawed executive. Imagine what shape the US would be in now if Trump was assured of legislative backing.

In other words, in some rare circumstances.  Better to imagine a system that didn't have the kind of Presidential model that developed in your country.