What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2020, 04:28:22 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 18, 2020, 04:21:40 PM
He doesn't want to be prosecuted when he leaves office so he's trying to set precedent- making mercy for white collar corruption charges a "thing".

You just know Trump is going to try to pardon himself before he leaves office.
I doubt he intends to leave office, at least until he can hand it off to someone trustworthy.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2020, 03:30:20 PM
I don't understand the pattern to Trump's pardons.

It helps to either be a celebrity or have one's cause championed by a celebrity.  He looks to maximize buzz and media coverage.  The pardons themselves are just a raw exercise of power, not policy, like the Commandant in Schindler's List. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

I wonder if at this point he's just trying to see what all he can get away with.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 18, 2020, 04:32:28 PM
It helps to either be a celebrity or have one's cause championed by a celebrity.  He looks to maximize buzz and media coverage.  The pardons themselves are just a raw exercise of power, not policy, like the Commandant in Schindler's List.

Does that explain Blogo?

And why's he laying off Manafort and Flynn?  Still in appeals?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2020, 04:53:47 PM
Does that explain Blogo?

Sure he's well known name.  Look at all the buzz it's getting.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Does that explain Blogo?

And why's he laying off Manafort and Flynn?  Still in appeals?

Neither have been sentenced yet.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Does that explain Blogo?
His wife has done several appearances on Fox and Friends.

Which is probably another route. If you go on the President's shows, he'll probably take more of an interest.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 18, 2020, 05:18:14 PM

Mystery solved. :cheers:

That show should charge its guests to appear.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Maximus on February 18, 2020, 04:30:14 PM
He doesn't want to be prosecuted when he leaves office so he's trying to set precedent- making mercy for white collar corruption charges a "thing".

I doubt he intends to leave office, at least until he can hand it off to someone trustworthy.

I think the vague intent is to have one of his sons take up the mantle after Donald's second term. The GOP will need a Trump on the ticket to keep drumming up the Trump base.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 18, 2020, 05:32:18 PM
I think the vague intent is to have one of his sons take up the mantle after Donald's second term. The GOP will need a Trump on the ticket to keep drumming up the Trump base.

Donald Trump Jr has been getting chants of "46!" at Trump rallies.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2020, 05:20:20 PM

Probably does

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 18, 2020, 05:35:25 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2020, 05:20:20 PM

Probably does

There was a story that I can't find now.  Apparently someone running to get the GOP nomination in an Ohio congressional district was running ads on Fox News in Florida.

Why would he do that when he's running in Ohio?  Because, of course, Trump was down at Mar-a-Lago, and he's hoping to get Trump's endorsement.

Razgovory

Damn.

EDIT: I found the story.  It's not Ohio, it's Kentucky.  https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/31/thomas-massie-trump-110136
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Yeah man, you don't get the top job by selling yourself to the provincials.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Reminds me of a tweet by the Tom Holland (the historian - not Spiderman) who is doing a translation of Suetonius' life of Caligula and reading "A Very Stable Genius". He said he'd resist drawing Roman comparisons, but then was intrigued by a line in the introduction that said "scores of federal prosecutors" think Trump would be facing criminal charges if he weren't a sitting President. "Meaning he may be liable to prosecution if he doesn't secure a 2nd term? #Rubicon" :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!