What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on August 24, 2019, 02:52:08 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 24, 2019, 09:19:54 AM
Interesting fact:  I'm living in what was once "New France".
There wasn't much colonization done over there by the French, compared to the St-Lawrence valley where I live.

Okay.  That doesn't really explain why there are more Jews in here than there are where you live.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

The Jews came after the Louisiana Purchase.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on August 24, 2019, 07:15:38 PM
There wasn't much colonization done over there by the French, compared to the St-Lawrence valley where I live.

Okay.  That doesn't really explain why there are more Jews in here than there are where you live.
I told you before: language barrier.  The first Jewish colonists came with the British, meaning they went to Montreal with the first wave of American traders and remained there.  And so did their families, extended families.

Montreal was a minor city compared to Quebec city at the time.  And I guess it was easier to build a synagogue and have their kids attend english schools in Montreal rather than mingle with a bunch of French speakers.  Just like many Quebec families who later emigrated to the US, they lived where others of their kind lived.

I guess most French speaking Jews either stayed on the mainland or in French colonies of North Africa until WWII, then they started to emigrate toward Israel or Quebec or anywhere else deemed safe.  Not that there weren't any Jews before that, just not that many.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on August 24, 2019, 10:04:59 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 24, 2019, 07:15:38 PM

I told you before: language barrier.  The first Jewish colonists came with the British, meaning they went to Montreal with the first wave of American traders and remained there.  And so did their families, extended families.

Montreal was a minor city compared to Quebec city at the time.  And I guess it was easier to build a synagogue and have their kids attend english schools in Montreal rather than mingle with a bunch of French speakers.  Just like many Quebec families who later emigrated to the US, they lived where others of their kind lived.

I guess most French speaking Jews either stayed on the mainland or in French colonies of North Africa until WWII, then they started to emigrate toward Israel or Quebec or anywhere else deemed safe.  Not that there weren't any Jews before that, just not that many.

I think what he's getting at is that it still doesn't explain why there are Jews in the middle of the Ozarks in Nowheresville, Missouri.

Oexmelin

For a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with whatever explanation Raz has concocted.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Oexmelin

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 24, 2019, 09:20:08 PM
The Jews came after the Louisiana Purchase.

No. They came before. Although the Sephardi Jews that settled in New Orleans and did business with the Illinois country were not the Ashkenazi Jews who later came to Missouri with the rest of German immigration.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Eddie Teach

You say no but then agree it's true of the ones Raz was talking about. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

I'm sure Raz's point was all about getting a dig in at Quebec somehow. It's one of his passions.

Razgovory

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 24, 2019, 10:19:03 PM
For a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with whatever explanation Raz has concocted.

Where did I concoct an explanation?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

I've noticed there are far fewer Jews out here in Alberta than there were back in Winnipeg.  It's just the patterns of migration: people tended to immigrate to communities that already existed where they had compatriots who already spoke the same language / held the same faith.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2019, 11:06:43 AM
I've noticed there are far fewer Jews out here in Alberta than there were back in Winnipeg.  It's just the patterns of migration: people tended to immigrate to communities that already existed where they had compatriots who already spoke the same language / held the same faith.

Every Jewish person I know either moved from or has family in Winnipeg.

Syt

QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

The question I was asked most today by fellow World Leaders, who think the USA is doing so well and is stronger than ever before, happens to be, "Mr. President, why does the American media hate your Country so much? Why are they rooting for it to fail?"

7:30 PM · Aug 25, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

https://www.axios.com/trump-nuclear-bombs-hurricanes-97231f38-2394-4120-a3fa-8c9cf0e3f51c.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=organic

QuotePresident Trump has suggested multiple times to senior Homeland Security and national security officials that they explore using nuclear bombs to stop hurricanes from hitting the United States, according to sources who have heard the president's private remarks and been briefed on a National Security Council memorandum that recorded those comments.

Behind the scenes: During one hurricane briefing at the White House, Trump said, "I got it. I got it. Why don't we nuke them?" according to one source who was there. "They start forming off the coast of Africa, as they're moving across the Atlantic, we drop a bomb inside the eye of the hurricane and it disrupts it. Why can't we do that?" the source added, paraphrasing the president's remarks.

Asked how the briefer reacted, the source recalled he said something to the effect of, "Sir, we'll look into that."

Trump replied by asking incredulously how many hurricanes the U.S. could handle and reiterating his suggestion that the government intervene before they make landfall.
The briefer "was knocked back on his heels," the source in the room added. "You could hear a gnat fart in that meeting. People were astonished. After the meeting ended, we thought, 'What the f---? What do we do with this?'"

Trump also raised the idea in another conversation with a senior administration official. A 2017 NSC memo describes that second conversation, in which Trump asked whether the administration should bomb hurricanes to stop them from hitting the homeland. A source briefed on the NSC memo said it does not contain the word "nuclear"; it just says the president talked about bombing hurricanes.

The source added that this NSC memo captured "multiple topics, not just hurricanes. ... It wasn't that somebody was so terrified of the bombing idea that they wrote it down. They just captured the president's comments."

The sources said that Trump's "bomb the hurricanes" idea — which he floated early in the first year and a bit of his presidency before John Bolton took over as national security adviser — went nowhere and never entered a formal policy process.
White House response: A senior administration official said, "We don't comment on private discussions that the president may or may not have had with his national security team."

A different senior administration official, who has been briefed on the president's hurricane bombing suggestion, defended Trump's idea and said it was no cause for alarm. "His goal — to keep a catastrophic hurricane from hitting the mainland — is not bad," the official said. "His objective is not bad."

"What people near the president do is they say 'I love a president who asks questions like that, who's willing to ask tough questions.' ... It takes strong people to respond to him in the right way when stuff like this comes up. For me, alarm bells weren't going off when I heard about it, but I did think somebody is going to use this to feed into 'the president is crazy' narrative."

The big picture: Trump didn't invent this idea. The notion that detonating a nuclear bomb over the eye of a hurricane could be used to counteract convection currents dates to the Eisenhower era, when it was floated by a government scientist.

The idea keeps resurfacing in the public even though scientists agree it won't work. The myth has been so persistent that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the U.S. government agency that predicts changes in weather and the oceans, published an online fact sheet for the public under the heading "Tropical Cyclone Myths Page."

The page states: "Apart from the fact that this might not even alter the storm, this approach neglects the problem that the released radioactive fallout would fairly quickly move with the tradewinds to affect land areas and cause devastating environmental problems. Needless to say, this is not a good idea."

About 3 weeks after Trump's 2016 election, National Geographic published an article titled, "Nuking Hurricanes: The Surprising History of a Really Bad Idea." It found, among other problems, that:

Dropping a nuclear bomb into a hurricane would be banned under the terms of the Peaceful Nuclear Explosions Treaty between the U.S. and the former Soviet Union. So that could stave off any experiments, as long as the U.S. observes the terms of the treaty.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2019, 11:06:43 AM

Southwest Calgary, specifically Pump Hill, Oakridge, and Palliser, has a large Jewish community.