What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

My dad frequently says something like "give credit where credit is due, Putin has always been loyal to his friends".  I keep making an argument that this is not not an unqualified good, especially not for a law enforcement official, but I don't think I'm going to dent the result of decades of Soviet culture.

Solmyr

Quote from: DGuller on June 18, 2019, 07:45:16 PM
My dad frequently says something like "give credit where credit is due, Putin has always been loyal to his friends".  I keep making an argument that this is not not an unqualified good, especially not for a law enforcement official, but I don't think I'm going to dent the result of decades of Soviet culture.

And that statement isn't even correct.

dps

Quote from: DGuller on June 18, 2019, 07:45:16 PM

Loyalty to one's friends is a virtue in a private citizen.  In a public official, it's closer to a vice.

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on June 18, 2019, 06:05:54 PM
I may have heard the dumbest comment yet about Trump today on the ITN News programme.
A reporter goes to NASA in Florida to interview 'space scientists' / NASA workers about trump, a young space scientist said this about Trump:

"There's so many things I disagree with, but I also applaud him for standing his ground and actually doing what he thinks is right"

:blink:

Presumably if she'd been young in 1930s Germany she'd have been saying the same thing in 1933-38?

I don't see the fault in recognizing the virtues of deeply flawed and ultimately evil people. But in this case, while that statement may be made with accuracy regarding Hitler, as Malthus points out it almost certainly doesn't apply to Trump. In this case, he is literally worse than Hitler!  :lol:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2019, 09:45:41 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 18, 2019, 09:31:32 AM
CC wildly jumping to conclusions is a hallmark of every forum era though.

What conclusion should I have drawn from your comment?
that he is impressed by someone remembering or having handy access to, Dante's quotes.  It is a neutral comment.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on June 19, 2019, 09:42:15 AM
Quote from: mongers on June 18, 2019, 06:05:54 PM
I may have heard the dumbest comment yet about Trump today on the ITN News programme.
A reporter goes to NASA in Florida to interview 'space scientists' / NASA workers about trump, a young space scientist said this about Trump:

"There's so many things I disagree with, but I also applaud him for standing his ground and actually doing what he thinks is right"

:blink:

Presumably if she'd been young in 1930s Germany she'd have been saying the same thing in 1933-38?

I don't see the fault in recognizing the virtues of deeply flawed and ultimately evil people. But in this case, while that statement may be made with accuracy regarding Hitler, as Malthus points out it almost certainly doesn't apply to Trump. In this case, he is literally worse than Hitler!  :lol:

Indeed.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VPNvzoY_F0

Senate votes to block arm sales to Saudi Arabia.  Not enough votes to overturn likely Trump veto.  Lindsey Graham and Rand Paul among those voting to block.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2019, 05:33:10 PM

Senate votes to block arm sales to Saudi Arabia.  Not enough votes to overturn likely Trump veto.  Lindsey Graham and Rand Paul among those voting to block.

Seems like a terrible idea at a moment when Iran may be getting belligerent.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Maximus

Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2019, 05:40:34 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2019, 05:33:10 PM

Seems like a terrible idea at a moment when Iran may be getting belligerent.
Why would Iran get belligerent? They stand to gain nothing and to lose everything.

alfred russel

Quote from: Maximus on June 24, 2019, 05:53:15 PM

Why would Iran get belligerent? They stand to gain nothing and to lose everything.

Belligerence doesn't require all out war, but regardless I'm torn between two possible answers:

a) Because the government is ridiculous and needs to sustain its external enemies to avoid a critical mass of public discontent, or

b) why would we assume the government is a rational actor?

Maximus

Both of which fail Occam when put next to c) one of the other half-dozen actors who have more to gain are fomenting this.

alfred russel

Quote from: Maximus on June 24, 2019, 07:55:58 PM
Both of which fail Occam when put next to c) one of the other half-dozen actors who have more to gain are fomenting this.

I think false flag attacks are the most irrational action of all. Iran acts like an asshole? Nothing really new. One of the actors at least nominally allied to the west is discovered launching a false flag attack? That would be devestating, and with modern technology it is increasingly difficult to go undetected.

Admiral Yi

Tough to pin shooting down the drone on the UAE.

Razgovory

I think you need to look up what Occam's razor actually means.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

"Entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily."  - William of Ockham
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!