What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: merithyn on June 12, 2019, 12:43:50 PM
Help me understand how this works. Like, can he seriously just claim executive privilege on anything?

Quotethe executive privilege consists of two prongs: the Presidential communications privilege and the deliberative process privilege. While the Presidential communications prong of the privilege may derive more protection from the Constitution, the deliberative process privilege reaches beyond conversations with the President to protect other communications among executive branch officials "crucial to fulfillment of the unique role and responsibilities of the executive branch." Espy, 121 F.3d at 736–37. This privilege "allows the government to withhold documents and other materials that would reveal advisory opinions, recommendations and deliberations comprising part of a process by which governmental decisions and policies are formulated." Id. at 737.
For a document to be protected by the deliberative process privilege, it must be both predecisional and deliberative

From: https://cases.justia.com/federal/district-courts/district-of-columbia/dcdce/1:2012cv01332/155625/117/0.pdf?ts=1453285182

Deliberative process privilege is not absolute and can be overcome by showing of sufficient need.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

So, did Trump just confess to collusion?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

Quote from: Razgovory on June 12, 2019, 07:11:55 PM

QuotePresident Trump on Wednesday said he would consider accepting information about one of his 2020 political opponents from a foreign government, despite the concerns raised by the intelligence community and special counsel Robert S. Mueller III over Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

In an Oval Office interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos, Trump also said he wouldn't necessarily alert the FBI if a foreign country approached his campaign with "oppo research" about his Democratic challenger.

Pretty much. He's saying he'd do it again.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

mongers

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 12, 2019, 09:22:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 12, 2019, 07:11:55 PM

QuotePresident Trump on Wednesday said he would consider accepting information about one of his 2020 political opponents from a foreign government, despite the concerns raised by the intelligence community and special counsel Robert S. Mueller III over Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

In an Oval Office interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos, Trump also said he wouldn't necessarily alert the FBI if a foreign country approached his campaign with "oppo research" about his Democratic challenger.

Pretty much. He's saying he'd do it again.

Think of it more as him setting out his stall or perhaps readying a prospectus for potential investors.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Maladict

Syt

QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
1h
I meet and talk to "foreign governments" every day. I just met with the Queen of England (U.K.), the Prince of Wales, the P.M. of the United Kingdom, the P.M. of Ireland, the President of France and the President of Poland. We talked about "Everything!" Should I immediately....

....call the FBI about these calls and meetings? How ridiculous! I would never be trusted again. With that being said, my full answer is rarely played by the Fake News Media. They purposely leave out the part that matters.

Apparently he first wrote "Prince of Whales"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Trump would be very "dangerous" if he could "learn" to sometimes keep his mouth "shut".

Though I guess this way he can win "votes" by showing to "the people" that somebody as "dumb" as they "are" is in "charge"!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on June 13, 2019, 09:43:46 AM
Trump would be very "dangerous" if he could "learn" to sometimes keep his mouth "shut".

Though I guess this way he can win "votes" by showing to "the people" that somebody as "dumb" as they "are" is in "charge"!

Trump is already very dangerous the question is whether the damage done can be repaired and if so how long it will take.  If he kept his mouth shut then perhaps people would focus more on the impact of the policy changes which are being implemented rather than the idiocy of the day he bombards the public with.

Sophie Scholl

I think some damage might be permanent.  How can foreign governments take any agreement made with the United States seriously after witnessing Trump murder every agreement Obama made?  The problem began with Congress under McConnell refusing to participate in any legitimate legislative efforts which in turn led to Obama passing things via Executive Order.  Now that Executive Order option has made a leap in its powers along with the overall power of the Executive Branch.  The ability of the United States to stand by any agreements made seems to be at the whim of the President and relies on no further Trump types taking office.  I don't like the odds of that.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Berkut

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 13, 2019, 02:49:41 PM
I think some damage might be permanent.  How can foreign governments take any agreement made with the United States seriously after witnessing Trump murder every agreement Obama made?  The problem began with Congress under McConnell refusing to participate in any legitimate legislative efforts which in turn led to Obama passing things via Executive Order.  Now that Executive Order option has made a leap in its powers along with the overall power of the Executive Branch.  The ability of the United States to stand by any agreements made seems to be at the whim of the President and relies on no further Trump types taking office.  I don't like the odds of that.

Indeed. Credibility is not something that you can just pick back up after dropping it.

But hey, the libs are owned, and the international standing of the USA is a small price to pay for lib tears.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

I. Heart Huckabee is stepping down as press secretary.

Habbaku

I wonder how much that position pays.  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on June 13, 2019, 02:53:41 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 13, 2019, 02:49:41 PM

Indeed. Credibility is not something that you can just pick back up after dropping it.

But hey, the libs are owned, and the international standing of the USA is a small price to pay for lib tears.

:yes:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Habbaku on June 13, 2019, 04:20:18 PM
I wonder how much that position pays.  :hmm:

When is the last time they had a press conference? Will they even bother replacing her?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...