What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

It feeds into the Trump victimization narrative that some right-wing media have.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 08, 2019, 12:23:33 PM
It feeds into the Trump victimization narrative that some right-wing media have.

No one cares.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on June 08, 2019, 07:47:00 AM
I wish they mocked and criticised him for proper things, god knows he makes enough of those, and not a badly constructed sentence.

If a 22 year old copyist did this in a normal business, they'd be out of a job.  He's the President, if he going to do official national communications by tweet, he should assign staff to make sure it's done properly.  It is disrespectful to the nation and the people who elect him to do otherwise.

And let's be real - this was not a badly constructed sentence.  He is just a complete ignoramus.  And that is a big, legitimate criticism of him in this job as well.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 09, 2019, 12:55:14 PM
I wish they mocked and criticised him for proper things, god knows he makes enough of those, and not a badly constructed sentence.

If a 22 year old copyist did this in a normal business, they'd be out of a job.  He's the President, if he going to do official national communications by tweet, he should assign staff to make sure it's done properly.  It is disrespectful to the nation and the people who elect him to do otherwise.

And let's be real - this was not a badly constructed sentence.  He is just a complete ignoramus.  And that is a big, legitimate criticism of him in this job as well.

Sure he is an idiot but quite clearly no remotely sane person thinks the Moon is part of Mars. He quite clearly meant that the grander space plans aiming to Mars have Moon stuff included. He just can't construct a proper sentence.

Yes, it is a pretty horrible situation that the POTUS' writing must be read like one reads a little child's, but I still thought the ridicule was overdone.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on June 10, 2019, 04:07:37 AM

Sure he is an idiot but quite clearly no remotely sane person thinks the Moon is part of Mars. He quite clearly meant that the grander space plans aiming to Mars have Moon stuff included. He just can't construct a proper sentence.

Yes, it is a pretty horrible situation that the POTUS' writing must be read like one reads a little child's, but I still thought the ridicule was overdone.

He said something stupid and got ridiculed for it.  I think it is pretty clear that not even Trump knew what the hell he was trying to say, and that there was no reason for him to say anything at all on the topic.  I don't think the ridicule was covfefe at all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on June 10, 2019, 04:07:37 AM

Oddly I intuitively got what he meant, so initially was confused about the criticism; I don't know what that says about me.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Trump and Ross were crowing that the trade deficit with China is down after the record numbers in 2018.

Measuring through April 30, imports from China are down $20 billion from the prior period in 2018; at the time  exports to China are down by about $10 billion.

Meanwhile, US imports from Vietnam alone are up 35% in the quarter- over $5 billion -  while exports to Vietnam are up only $500 million.  Vietnam is relevant to this inquiry given widespread reports that Chinese goods are being repackaged and relabelled as Made in Vietnam.

Looking at US trade globally, the trade deficit through end of April is the same as in 2018.  Total exports and imports are almost exactly the same.  So the China trade war has had zero impact on the overall composition of US trade; it has just shifted imports and exports to other countries.

In one sense that is good news as it suggests at least in the short term the economic impact of the conflict is being contained, albeit in part through smuggling and rule-breaking.  On the other hand, it shows up the incoherence and pointlessness of Trump's mercantalist policy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

I've lost a lot of patience with Trump and his trade deficit crap.  If he'd focus on the actual trade barriers and other shenanigans the Chinese and others are pulling, and address those issues specifically, I could go along with trying to play hardball.  Try to even the playing field as much as possible-- then if we can't compete on an even playing field, suck it up and enjoy the cheap imported goods while they last.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2019, 10:25:55 AM
I've lost a lot of patience with Trump and his trade deficit crap.  If he'd focus on the actual trade barriers and other shenanigans the Chinese and others are pulling, and address those issues specifically, I could go along with trying to play hardball.  Try to even the playing field as much as possible-- then if we can't compete on an even playing field, suck it up and enjoy the cheap imported goods while they last.

Kind of agree.  All the bullshit could be worth it if there is real movement on intellectual property, state subsidies, etc., but not if the end result is some promises to buy more soybeans.

Admiral Yi

Just read in The Economist that betting sites have the odds of a Trump victory at 49%.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 11, 2019, 08:27:13 PM
Just read in The Economist that betting sites have the odds of a Trump victory at 49%.

So...you're telling me there is still a chance he loses?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

Isn't that exceptionally low for an incumbent?

I don't see any sure bets on the Dem side. It's still early I guess, but odds are for a cheetos reelection.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on June 11, 2019, 10:39:33 PM
Isn't that exceptionally low for an incumbent?

For an incumbent with a strong economy it's very low.

But a Democratic victory in 2020 is far from a sure thing, precisely because Trump is an incumbent and the economy is strong.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Help me understand how this works. Like, can he seriously just claim executive privilege on anything?

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/12/trump-asserts-executive-privilege-to-block-access-to-census-documents-1361784

QuotePresident Donald Trump on Wednesday moved to block Congress' access to documents about how a citizenship question was added to the 2020 census.

Trump claimed executive privilege over subpoenaed documents at the urging of the Justice Department, as the House Oversight and Reform Committee was beginning proceedings Wednesday morning to hold Attorney General William Barr and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross in contempt of Congress for failing to comply with the panel's subpoenas, which the committee issued in April.

"These documents are protected from disclosure by the deliberative process, attorney-client communications, or attorney work product components of executive privilege," Assistant Attorney General Stephen Boyd wrote in a letter to House Oversight and Reform Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings (D-Md.).
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

To be honest I do not have a very firm grip on the extent of the President's authority and powers these days. I mean Nixon had to turn over his tapes but that was almost 50 years ago now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."