What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on January 17, 2019, 05:16:22 AM
:D

Still, though. I am now officially bored with Hamburgergate.

I would have expected an official pronouncement to come with a little more pomp and circumstance.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Quote from: Tamas on January 17, 2019, 05:16:22 AM
:D

Still, though. I am now officially bored with Hamburgergate.

I don't know how you could grow tired of such an endlessly fascinating story:

Donald Trump's epic fast food picture is perfectly Trumpian
Trump personally paying for Clemson's fast-food White House meals
Twitter feasts on Trump's 'Hamberders' typo
Trump jokes about First Lady 'making salads' for players
Anderson Cooper takes on Trump's fast-food feast
Celebrities want to feed Clemson players 'a real feast'
Trump caters fast food for Clemson Tigers

The People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out:
Military command, high civil office, legions — everything
Now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things:
Hamberders and media circuses.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Legbiter

The media's only viable business model is getting clicks at all costs and they can exactly track just how popular Trump is as content, Sav. Hence the 24/7 tantrums and hysterics on, say, CNN. To watch cable news at this point is to court permanent brain damage.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on January 17, 2019, 01:48:13 PM
To watch cable news at this point is to court permanent brain damage.  :hmm:

To be fair that has been true for over twenty years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

The media's only viable business model is getting clicks at all costs and they can exactly track just how popular Trump is as content, Sav. Hence the 24/7 tantrums and hysterics on, say, CNN. To watch cable news at this point is to court permanent brain damage.  :hmm:

I know you're right; but I'm still going to complain.   ;)

(Plus "Hamberders and media circuses" is the perfect description for this news cycle.)

Edit:  Last news cycle, I see we've already started a new cycle:  Trump cancels Nancy Pelosi foreign trip citing shutdown.  I think Longfellow has the perfect title for this one:

In the time of the government shutdown
Where pettiness is starting to flower
Comes a pause in the deep negotiations
That is known as the children's hour.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rmdZn7z_qw

Michael Cohen paid a dude 13K (in cash, in a Walmart bag) to rig online polls in Donald's favor.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

FunkMonk

Quote from: Savonarola on January 17, 2019, 02:44:49 PM

I know you're right; but I'm still going to complain.   ;)

(Plus "Hamberders and media circuses" is the perfect description for this news cycle.)

Edit:  Last news cycle, I see we've already started a new cycle:  Trump cancels Nancy Pelosi foreign trip citing shutdown.  I think Longfellow has the perfect title for this one:

In the time of the government shutdown
Where pettiness is starting to flower
Comes a pause in the deep negotiations
That is known as the children's hour.

Gotta keep the train rolling on owning the libs
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on January 17, 2019, 03:16:17 PM
:hmm: Is that illegal?

I think it's illegal not to tell the Election Commission you used $13K to rig some dumbass internet polls in hopes of influencing the election.

Barrister

Trump responds to Pelosi's move to delay the SOTU: he cancels her military flight to Brussels (and Afghanistan) which was set to leave later today, telling her she should stay in town to end the government shut down.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2019, 03:50:46 PM
Trump responds to Pelosi's move to delay the SOTU: he cancels her military flight to Brussels (and Afghanistan) which was set to leave later today, telling her she should stay in town to end the government shut down.

Isn't the military in the US supposed to be non-political?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/us/politics/trump-letter-to-pelosi-canceled-trips.html?module=inline

QuoteDear Madame Speaker:

Due to the Shutdown, I am sorry to inform you that your trip to Brussels, Egypt, and Afghanistan has been postponed. We will reschedule this seven-day excursion when the Shutdown is over. In light of the 800,000 great American workers not receiving pay, I am sure you would agree that postponing this public relations event is totally appropriate. I also feel that, during this period, it would be better if you were in Washington negotiating with me and joining the Strong Border Security movement to end the Shutdown. Obviously, if you would like to make your journey by flying commercial, that would certainly be your prerogative.

I look forward to seeing you soon and even more forward to watching our open and dangerous Southern Border finally receive the attention, funding, and security it so desperately deserves!

Sincerely,

Donald Trump

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on January 17, 2019, 04:21:30 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/us/politics/trump-letter-to-pelosi-canceled-trips.html?module=inline

QuoteDear Madame Speaker:

Due to the Shutdown, I am sorry to inform you that your trip to Brussels, Egypt, and Afghanistan has been postponed. We will reschedule this seven-day excursion when the Shutdown is over. In light of the 800,000 great American workers not receiving pay, I am sure you would agree that postponing this public relations event is totally appropriate. I also feel that, during this period, it would be better if you were in Washington negotiating with me and joining the Strong Border Security movement to end the Shutdown. Obviously, if you would like to make your journey by flying commercial, that would certainly be your prerogative.

I look forward to seeing you soon and even more forward to watching our open and dangerous Southern Border finally receive the attention, funding, and security it so desperately deserves!

Sincerely,

Donald Trump

I'm okay with Trumps action, but I love the passive-aggressive tone in Pelosi's letter so much more:

QuoteDear Mr. President:

On January 3rd, it was my privilege as Speaker to invite you to deliver the State of the Union address on January 29th. The Constitution calls for the President to "from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union." During the 19th Century and up until the presidency of Woodrow Wilson, these annual State of the Union messages were delivered to Congress in writing. And since the start of modern budgeting in Fiscal Year 1977, a State of the Union address has never been delivered during a government shutdown.

In September 2018, Secretary Nielsen designated State of the Union Addresses as National Special Security Events (NSSEs), recognizing the need for "the full resources of the Federal Government to be brought to bear" to ensure the security of these events. The extraordinary demands presented by NSSEs require weeks of detailed planning with dozens of agencies working together to prepare for the safety of all participants.

The U.S. Secret Service was designated as the lead federal agency responsible for coordinating, planning, exercising, and implementing security for National Special Security Events by Public Law 106-544, December 19, 2000. However, both the U.S. Secret Service and the Department of Homeland Security have not been funded for 26 days now — with critical departments hamstrung by furloughs.

Sadly, given the security concerns and unless government re-opens this week, I suggest that we work together to determine another suitable date after government has re-opened for this address or for you to consider delivering your State of the Union address in writing to the Congress on January 29th.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

NANCY PELOSI

Speaker of the House
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi