What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

I really wish we could agree on mutual disarm on these email stories.  It's an administrative matter for the White House and perhaps the FBI or Inspector General.  It's not really a news story.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

frunk

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 20, 2018, 10:21:18 AM
I really wish we could agree on mutual disarm on these email stories.  It's an administrative matter for the White House and perhaps the FBI or Inspector General.  It's not really a news story.

Yeah, it was dumb when it was such an issue with Hillary, it'll be just as dumb if it becomes a big issue for Ivanka.

The Minsky Moment

On the list of outrages by this administration it doesn't crack the top 10,000.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: frunk on November 20, 2018, 10:23:09 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 20, 2018, 10:21:18 AM

Yeah, it was dumb when it was such an issue with Hillary, it'll be just as dumb if it becomes a big issue for Ivanka.

True, but the issue isn't that the infraction is objectively a big deal - I agree it never was that - the issue is that Trump made a huge deal out of it, only to have his family do exactly the same thing.

It's a petty example of the Trump administration acting as if rules apply only to others - there are legions of examples which are more objectively serious - the only reason it is of any importance, is that it is Trump himself who made it so.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Yes but Trump also made a big deal out of:

Obama's use of executive orders.
Obama's supposed excessive golfing(!)
The increase in the national debt

etc.
etc.

It's a given this point that whatever Trump criticized his predecessors or competitors for - he has done it himself and far worse.
--Joan Robinson

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Solmyr

The Minsky Moment

QuoteAmerica First!

QuoteThe country of Iran, as an example, is responsible for a bloody proxy war against Saudi Arabia in Yemen, trying to destabilize Iraq's fragile attempt at democracy, supporting the terror group Hezbollah in Lebanon, propping up dictator Bashar Assad in Syria

Hmm. . .
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 20, 2018, 01:43:34 PM
Yes but Trump also made a big deal out of:

Obama's use of executive orders.
Obama's supposed excessive golfing(!)
The increase in the national debt

etc.
etc.

It's a given this point that whatever Trump criticized his predecessors or competitors for - he has done it himself and far worse.

Absolutely, on the last point.

The email thing is a trivial infraction that Trump made much of during the campaign - perhaps the single most noise of all. For a while, there was, apparently, no issue more serious than the email thing. It's practically iconic of his campaign.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

FunkMonk

Razgovory

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 20, 2018, 02:41:02 PM
The statement the WH put out from Donald about the Khashoggi murder is lolworthy  :lol:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-president-donald-j-trump-standing-saudi-arabia/

That was fucking weird.  It's like someone tried to clean up a rambling Trump dialogue.  In fact, it's just like that.  I wonder if that is what happened.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

Big Thank you to Saudi Arabia! Best friends in the world! Together we can make a Lot of Money and Make Oil Drill Again!

The Minsky Moment

So I guess that means we're taking the Cuban boycott off the table too, right?  Lots of $ to be made there.  America First and all.
--Joan Robinson

FunkMonk

Commie Castro is a Very Bad! Need more sanctions, not less!