Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: garbon on May 24, 2018, 04:17:08 PM
Quote from: katmai on May 24, 2018, 04:04:51 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 24, 2018, 04:04:20 PM
Now?
Forget it Garbon, it's Beeb

I'm prepared to offer as much mercy as 'conservatives' offer. No quarter.

I don't see what liberal or conservative has to do with it.  "No Quarter!" is as much the Languish way as greeting new member with "Who the fuck are you?".  Well, if we were still getting new members.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Weird world we live in now, when some North Koreans statements make more sense than what the White House and VP have said.

The threat of a Libyan style conclusion makes no sense, because as pointed out by the N.Korena minister, Gaddafii's regime only install a bit of equipment and fiddled about with it, whereas N.Korea does appear to be a nuclear armed state.

Though that's not to say this whole situation can't end up much worse, rather than a few thousand people being killed in the North African sands.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on May 24, 2018, 08:28:08 PM
Weird world we live in now, when some North Koreans statements make more sense than what the White House and VP have said.

The threat of a Libyan style conclusion makes no sense, because as pointed out by the N.Korena minister, Gaddafii's regime only install a bit of equipment and fiddled about with it, whereas N.Korea does appear to be a nuclear armed state.

Though that's not to say this whole situation can't end up much worse, rather than a few thousand people being killed in the North African sands.

The "Libyan style" conclusion makes perfect sense when you remember it was said by Bolton, who knew that North Korea would find it unacceptable, and Bolton didn't actually want the summit to go ahead.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on May 24, 2018, 08:37:29 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 24, 2018, 08:28:08 PM

The "Libyan style" conclusion makes perfect sense when you remember it was said by Bolton, who knew that North Korea would find it unacceptable, and Bolton didn't actually want the summit to go ahead.

'Unless they do a Libya and de-nuclearise, they'll end up like Libya?'

I guess the good news, is both Trump and Kim still profess a willingness to meet and discuss/negotiate.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

My problem is still that the US President should NOT be meeting someone of the stature of Kim, or at least not in this way - Kim throws temper tantrums, and then POTUS rushes to pacify him. Lucky thing the meeting won't happen because it would set a terrible example for adventurous leaders who seek more prestige.

Trump is a fucking idiot. Already this fumbling around has turned the NK leader from a raving remote lunatic to a member of the international center stage. Quietly paying tribute to him in the form of aid was far better than this.

Trump is the sinister version of Lloyd Bridges' character from the Hot Shot movies.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on May 25, 2018, 09:01:57 AM
My problem is still that the US President should NOT be meeting someone of the stature of Kim, or at least not in this way - Kim throws temper tantrums, and then POTUS rushes to pacify him. Lucky thing the meeting won't happen because it would set a terrible example for adventurous leaders who seek more prestige.

Trump is a fucking idiot. Already this fumbling around has turned the NK leader from a raving remote lunatic to a member of the international center stage. Quietly paying tribute to him in the form of aid was far better than this.

Trump is the sinister version of Lloyd Bridges' character from the Hot Shot movies.

Well yeah. The dude has talked a big game and destroyed everything he touched for 30+ years. It is why I was so against his candidacy. He could have gotten up there and said everything I wanted to hear and I still would have never voted for him in a million years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

"Your vote in 2018 is every bit as important as your vote in 2016. Although I'm not sure I really believe that, but you know. I don't know who the hell wrote that line, I'm not sure. But it's still important, remember."

-Donald Trump

I love how he rallies the base for Congressional candidates.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on May 25, 2018, 03:06:35 PM
"Your vote in 2018 is every bit as important as your vote in 2016. Although I'm not sure I really believe that, but you know. I don't know who the hell wrote that line, I'm not sure. But it's still important, remember."

-Donald Trump

He's got their backs - and a box of daggers.

dps

Quote from: mongers on May 24, 2018, 08:56:29 PM
'Unless they do a Libya and de-nuclearise, they'll end up like Libya?'

Can't really see how North Korea could end up full of Arabs.

frunk

-Donald Trump

I think statements like this are actually part of the appeal.  It convinces people that he's honest, where he's really just honest about things he doesn't give a shit about.

celedhring

A Spanish prosecutor has confirmed that we handed the FBI some wiretaps of Aleksandr Torshin talking with a money launderer, hinting that they involve Trump Jr.

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 25, 2018, 03:32:08 PM

-Donald Trump

He's got their backs - and a box of daggers.

The thing is, he needs those people.  If the Republicans lose the house Trump will be in a world of shit.  At some level he understands this, but he can't allow anyone else in the spotlight  It always needs to be about him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

:hmm:

QuoteWho's going to give back the young and beautiful lives (and others) that have been devastated and destroyed by the phony Russia Collusion Witch Hunt? They journeyed down to Washington, D.C., with stars in their eyes and wanting to help our nation...They went back home in tatters!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 27, 2018
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien