What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

QuoteAndrew McCabe was just offered a job by a congressman so he can get his full retirement. And it just might work.

That's one way of protesting Andrew McCabe's firing as deputy FBI director, roughly a day before he was set to retire: At least one Democratic congressman has offered McCabe a temporary job so he can get full retirement benefits — and McCabe appears to be considering.

Rep. Mark Pocan (D-Wis.) announced Saturday afternoon that he has offered McCabe a job to work on election security in his office, "so that he can reach the needed length of service" to retire.

"My offer of employment to Mr. McCabe is a legitimate offer to work on election security," Pocan said in a statement. "Free and fair elections are the cornerstone of American democracy and both Republicans and Democrats should be concerned about election integrity."

A spokeswoman for McCabe, Melissa Schwartz, didn't immediately rule out a job with one of the most liberal members of Congress, which might only need to last for a day or so for him to get his full retirement benefits: "We are considering all options."

Full article here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/03/17/andrew-mccabe-was-just-offered-a-job-by-a-congressman-so-he-can-get-his-full-retirement-and-it-just-might-work/?utm_term=.af99a0c9b3cd

Admiral Yi

Is he not a member of the civil service?  I would have thought he would have legal protections.

mongers

Former CIA Director weighs in:

Mr Trump's tweet about the firing provoked an angry response from former CIA director John Brennan, who implied Mr McCabe was being made a scapegoat.

Twitter post by @JohnBrennan:

QuoteWhen the full extent of your venality, moral turpitude, and political corruption becomes known, you will take your rightful place as a disgraced demagogue in the dustbin of history. You may scapegoat Andy McCabe, but you will not destroy America...America will triumph over you. https://t.co/uKppoDbduj
— John O. Brennan (@JohnBrennan) March 17, 2018

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2018, 11:34:49 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 17, 2018, 08:28:32 PM
What makes them "official"?

That is the stance of the White House.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-s-tweets-official-statements-spicer-says-n768931

Well that was the stance of the White House then (according to Sean Spicer). Who knows what they are thinking now.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 18, 2018, 01:02:13 AM
Is he not a member of the civil service?  I would have thought he would have legal protections.

Yeah, you'd think that a simple petition to redress grievances would take a few days to deny, in which case he'd be home free.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on March 18, 2018, 11:56:46 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2018, 11:34:49 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 17, 2018, 08:28:32 PM
What makes them "official"?

That is the stance of the White House.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-s-tweets-official-statements-spicer-says-n768931

Well that was the stance of the White House then (according to Sean Spicer). Who knows what they are thinking now.

It is the stance of the White House until they take a new stance.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

GREAT MOMENTS IN PRESIDENTIAL HISTORY

George Washington's Farewell Address: " I anticipate with pleasing expectation that retreat, in which I promise myself to realize, without alloy, the sweet enjoyment of partaking, in the midst of my fellow-citizens, the benign influence of good laws under a free government, the ever favorite object of my heart, and the happy reward, as I trust, of our mutual cares, labors, and dangers."

Lincoln's Gettysburg Address: "It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

FDR's First Inaugural Address: "This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. In every dark hour of our national life a leadership of frankness and vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people themselves which is essential to victory. I am convinced that you will again give that support to leadership in these critical days."

Donald Trump's March 19 Tweets:

@realDonaldTrump
.@seanhannity on @foxandfriends now! Great! 8:18 A.M.

@realDonaldTrump
A total WITCH HUNT with massive conflicts of interest!
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Just learned Kudlow doesn't have an economics degree.  He was in a masters' program on law and economics at Princeton, but dropped out.

DGuller

That makes his record of being consistently wrong all the more impressive, actually.

garbon

Btw, did anyone hear about how Andrew Cuomo (Gov of New York) is now facing a primary challenge from Cynthia Nixon (redhead from Sex and the City)?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on March 22, 2018, 10:23:53 AM
Btw, did anyone hear about how Andrew Cuomo (Gov of New York) is now facing a primary challenge from Cynthia Nixon (redhead from Sex and the City)?

Yeah, for some reason Google thinks I should have NY primary news delivered to my phone's screen.

garbon

I double checked to make sure I registered for my primary ballot as want to make sure to defeat that shit.

Gups

Quote from: celedhring on March 22, 2018, 10:28:57 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 22, 2018, 10:23:53 AM

Yeah, for some reason Google thinks I should have NY primary news delivered to my phone's screen.

Probably more to do with your Sex & the City obsession that your political interests.