What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: DGuller on June 22, 2017, 08:31:49 PM
Obama Derangement Syndrome is thinking that he is a Kenyan-born traitor, and making political decisions based on that version of reality. .

And you think that was effective?

DGuller

Quote from: dps on June 22, 2017, 09:01:31 PM
Obama Derangement Syndrome is thinking that he is a Kenyan-born traitor, and making political decisions based on that version of reality. .

And you think that was effective?
Highly.  Obama was neutered for much of his presidency, and Republicans won pretty much everything other than 2012 presidency after his election, and paved the road to Trump.

Zoupa

What is it about him that would tap into people's emotions so deeply?  Probably the fact that he's a smoker.

Nice one. :lol:

viper37

Quote from: garbon on June 22, 2017, 10:31:04 AM
What I really don't get is the progressives who complain that the Dems failed to be left wing enough and that's what Ossoff lost.  Oh, so when the voters drift to the right, best way to grab them up is run hard to the left?
The Republicans didn't get where they are by being pragmatic.  They obstructed at every turn and maintained ideoligical purity in the face of everything.

It kinda makes sense that some Democrats would see it that way: trying to reach a compromise is weakness, one should be as hard to the left as it's possible to counter-act the Republicans, since they achieve success just like that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2017, 07:24:26 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 22, 2017, 06:41:19 PM
But the left and the right are not the same kind of people with opposite polarities.  Appeal to emotion are inherently less powerful for liberal ideology than it is for authoritarian ideology.  Unfortunately, nothing is as strong as emotion, so liberals will be perpetually on the wrong side of enthusiasm gap.

But the left/right split in America is not only about, or even primarily about, liberalism vs. authoritarianism.  And self proclaimed victim groups and class warriors can be very emotional about their dislike for their perceived oppressors.  Pick a random Seedy post if you need an example.

For fun, I did exactly as you said.  I picked the first Seedy post I saw.

"It's how mega companies like Apple stay competitive."

That magnificent bastard.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

I just want my damn 3.5 mm stereo jack back, it's not that much to ask.  Trump talked a good game against Apple but he couldn't even get that done.  Sad!
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on June 22, 2017, 07:31:15 PM

I'm not saying the liberals are immune to appeal to emotion, I've railed about some of that quite consistently myself.  But in the big scheme of things, even the worst of SJW excess don't come close to things like Obama Derangement Syndrome, both in their insanity and their political effectiveness.  SJW excesses also often involve specious arguments rather than attack on the rational thought itself.

I gotta agree with this.

The idiots on the left are mostly just irritating. Their stupidity is annoying, but usually pretty minor in the scale of things.

The idiots on the right are a real menace, so far held back from doing serious damage, in the US at least, only by the fact that the stupidity of the current leadership is so colossal that they appear incapable of getting anything actually done.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

frunk

Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2017, 08:48:50 AM
The idiots on the right are a real menace, so far held back from doing serious damage, in the US at least, only by the fact that the stupidity of the current leadership is so colossal that they appear incapable of getting anything actually done.

Except I think that is the strategy.  They want to prove government is bad and doesn't work by being incompetent and making the government unable to function.

Razgovory

I'm not saying the liberals are immune to appeal to emotion, I've railed about some of that quite consistently myself.  But in the big scheme of things, even the worst of SJW excess don't come close to things like Obama Derangement Syndrome, both in their insanity and their political effectiveness.  SJW excesses also often involve specious arguments rather than attack on the rational thought itself.

I gotta agree with this.

The idiots on the left are mostly just irritating. Their stupidity is annoying, but usually pretty minor in the scale of things.

It's useful to remember how Trump came to political prominence.  By pushing a conspiracy theory that Obama was an illegal alien.  That might be new presidential politics.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Yeah we are unlikely to all rally behind and elect some Tumblr warrior.

But hey they are mostly in their late 20s. Their time may come.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

I gotta agree with this.

No, remember that they are the reason people were forced to vote for Trump.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zoupa

Quote from: garbon on June 23, 2017, 12:45:24 PM

No, remember that they are the reason people were forced to vote for Trump.

Eddie Teach

His political commentary is as sophisticated as his artwork.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

A few of the local Trump supporters on Facebook were quite pleased with the guy-running-over-Muslims story in Britain.

mongers

Odd this thread is getting fewer posts now it's been pinned to the top or maybe the BSer-in-chief is on another long weekend break?   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"