Space X announces 42-engine reusable rocket

Started by Jacob, September 28, 2016, 03:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2016, 04:47:24 PM
They sound like delusional people who deserve to be parted with their money. Unlike terrestrial colonization, they know there is literally nothing that is waiting them. The opportunity to leave in a little space box on a planet with a hostile atmosphere? You gotta be nuts to want that.

Note: I can totally understand if you can come back but that's not really doable in this short timespan is it?

Ultra-radical identitarian grabon can't fathom that people different from him might want different things out of life? Color me surprised.  :lol:

(just not too dark, in case he gets triggered)

garbon

Quote from: Hamilcar on September 28, 2016, 04:51:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2016, 04:47:24 PM
They sound like delusional people who deserve to be parted with their money. Unlike terrestrial colonization, they know there is literally nothing that is waiting them. The opportunity to leave in a little space box on a planet with a hostile atmosphere? You gotta be nuts to want that.

Note: I can totally understand if you can come back but that's not really doable in this short timespan is it?

Ultra-radical identitarian grabon can't fathom that people different from him might want different things out of life? Color me surprised.  :lol:

(just not too dark, in case he gets triggered)

Don't play stupid.

Also, I'm not the one with a habit of running away from Languish in tears. :contract:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Malthus

I was gonna say I don't understand why anyone would want to go to a sterile place with a hostile atmosphere, hanging out for years with a bunch of strangers who may be obnoxious, while living on one's own recycled turds.

But then, I remembered that I posted on Languish.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Liep on September 28, 2016, 04:23:49 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 28, 2016, 04:18:12 PM
Let's say .0001% of people disagree and want to do it.  That's almost 10,000 people.

From a pool of people with $500,000. :P

There are probably others who wouldn't go themselves but would sponsor someone else.
I'd be willing to bet people willing to go could raise that kind of money on kickstarter, etc, without enormous difficulty
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

I think it will be difficult to achieve the right kind of demographic mix.  Ideally you want young people and half of them to be females.  But the US$500k entry fee kinda ensures that it will be older people. 

Jacob

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2016, 05:59:04 PM
I think it will be difficult to achieve the right kind of demographic mix.  Ideally you want young people and half of them to be females.  But the US$500k entry fee kinda ensures that it will be older people.

Well, you could probably ship up a bunch of unfertilized eggs and sperm donations too if you're concerned about genetic viability. Maybe they can sell that too. $0.5M to go yourself, $10K to send a sperm sample or some eggs that will be carried to term via in-vitro fertilization.

jimmy olsen

I wanted to post about this, but it's just a long term proposal so I figured it would be received negatively here if I posted it. I'm interested in the test launch of the 27 falcon heavy that will be tested early next year.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

I perspose a whip-round to buy Timmy a dictionary.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Razgovory

Is there anything that can be economically exploited on Mars?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2016, 06:55:34 PM
I perspose a whip-round to buy Timmy a dictionary.

Instead, lets hold a whip round to send timmy to mars. also martinus.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014